ADVERTISEMENT

RPI? Road wins?

Joe045

Sophomore
May 14, 2006
Whatever happened to the RPI? What ever happened to road wins being a quality indicator. Does the NET even factor in road wins? Any thoughts pirate fans?

I remember back in the early 2000's RPI and road record did matter

RPI still exists. It's a simple formula that factors in a team's record, it's opponent's record and it's opponent's opponent's records.

I know at some point SPK posted that our RPI was worse than our NET (that can happen when your P6 opponents underachieve).

Road and neutral site games are absolutely still a factor to the Selection Committee. They look at something like that closely because there are no home games in the tournament. Just as they tend to scrutinize performance against quality opponents closely. Outside the handful of auto bids, even NCAA team will likely be top 75 (or better) NET.

RPI still exists. It's a simple formula that factors in a team's record, it's opponent's record and it's opponent's opponent's records.

I know at some point SPK posted that our RPI was worse than our NET (that can happen when your P6 opponents underachieve).

Road and neutral site games are absolutely still a factor to the Selection Committee. They look at something like that closely because there are no home games in the tournament. Just as they tend to scrutinize performance against quality opponents closely. Outside the handful of auto bids, even NCAA team will likely be top 75 (or better) NET.
As I understand it the fact that there are no home games in the tournament has nothing to do with why road games are a factor. It is simply because it is more difficult to win away from home, so it is a legitimate differentiator among teams with otherwise similar resumes (i.e., a team that has won more on the road is likely better).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT