ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Athletics opens new weight room and new team film room

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
New facilities continue to open as Seton Hall upgrades the student-athlete experience.
8609308.jpeg

8609304.jpeg

PHOTO GALLERY

South Orange, N.J. -- Seton Hall's commitment to the student-athlete experience continues to shine as the Department of Athletics & Recreation has unveiled its new varsity weight room and film room, which opened for team use last week. Part of the Pride & Excellence Campaign, the new weight room is triple the size of the previous facility, and the film room provides a dedicated space for teams to view scouting video for the first time.

"We continue to make outstanding progress in upgrading our facilities and upgrading the experience we deliver to our student-athletes," Seton Hall Vice President and Director of Athletics Pat Lyons said. "Our new weight room is a first-class facility that will help our teams get bigger, faster and stronger, and our film room is an exciting space for our teams to watch video of themselves and their opponents so they can be better prepared for competition.

"Not only will our new weight room and film room help our current student-athletes, but it will also help our coaching staffs recruit prospective student-athletes. With these two additions, combined with our new academic center, sports medicine center and locker rooms, recruits will see that we have state-of-the-art facilities where they can train, learn, maintain their health and compete for championships."

The new varsity weight room is 7,525 square feet of usable space spread out over four rooms, featuring free weights, platforms, benches and cardio equipment. The amphitheater style team video room is equipped with the latest in projection and surround-sound technology and features 36 custom leather seats.

The Pride & Excellence Campaign has played a key role in contributing to significant improvements within the Richie Regan Athletic Center over the past two years. Within this time frame, Seton Hall Athletics & Recreation Services has opened the click here.

VIDEO

Suggest everyone hit the link above for the video with Pat Lyons and John Fanta. Plus interviews with members of the volleyball team during a workout.

Look , let's give credit where it's due, Lyons has done an outstanding job in improving the athletic infrastructure at SH and in getting SH to open the pursestrings to accomplish as much as has been accomplished . On another issue I learned today that SH is going to spend up to a million dollars to upgrade and renovate the softball field so the investment in improving the athletic infrastructure seems to be continuing.

Very nice.

Lyons does come across as someone who means business. I'll leave it at that for now. Nice job by everyone who contributed to getting the weight room and film room done, which includes many on this board I'm sure

It looks great. There are a lot new facilities on campus. The athletes must be loving it.

I've always felt that if you're not going to give a sport what it needs to compete you might as well discontinue the entire operation.

It's great to hear the softball field will be renovated. Are there any details? Is it just the field? Does it include the surrounding area and stands?

I do feel bad that the tennis team does not have on-campus courts anymore. Is that on the agenda?

Very impressive. Would think it sends a message to prospective student athletes and coaching candidates that the University is committed.

Nice job all around. This can only help us attract more serious student athletes at SHU. Have to give a lot of credit to Pat Lyons and Pirate Blue. These guys are getting it done in ways we have not seen before.

Heard that the softball plans include better seating, press box, and dugouts that don't quite seem like a prison cell (and will hopefully provide for better fan viewing).

All the grey is kind of ugly lol....

But seriously, this should put our situation in perspective. This weight room is par for what most schools had 5-10 years ago. It was an extremely sad situation before this. D1 Big East athletes packed into a dingy, hand me down weight room, waiting to use maybe a 3rd of machines other schools had. The locker rooms were even worse, maybe thee worst. Completely unacceptable.

Its 2015 and we have student athletes that are on record for being happy they just dont have to wait for machines anymore... think about that. Sure back in the day y'all might have been lifting rocks and pulling chains, but times have changed...about 10 years ago. I love what Lyons has (finally) done to SHU, but hes lying when he tells you these facilities are on par for best in the nation. Not even close. This is the unfortunate reality that SHU cant really escape, and particularly why every sport but basketball hasnt made much noise in the BE. (Basketball really has no excuse).

But guys this makes sense, no wonder Willard never made any adjustments ever.... the Theater Room wasnt ready yet.

Recently had a phone conversation with someone who attended the away Creighton game. They too recently completed building a new weight room for their athletes. I was told that our facility is at the very least on par with Creighton's and maybe even better.

Also, just got an email from someone who toured our new facility and he said the video doesn't do justice to seeing it in person.

Next time I am on campus I plan to give it a look and Ill report back here.

You cannot compare this facility to a football school. A football roster is huge. SHU has no need for that kind of weight room.

Most of SHU's programs have small rosters. They don't have track and field teams.

This facility if 7,525 square feet. That seems about right.

I know this absolute pipe dream talk because these are extremely expensive. However I always thought the school should try to figure out a new and expansive aquatic center.

The NBE is very very weak in swimming & diving. We are one of the few that actually has money for athletes (esp men) for swimming. A very nice aquatics center would be a nice little source of revenue for the university if done right. NJ (esp central and north) lack very high quality pools.

It would not only let us become a power in the sport (in the NBE) but you could get a big USA club team in there (big money in that) and you could host big college/USA meets (also big money in that).

Ithaca college has a good newish facility and it is used non-stop no doubt making money for the school.

The natarotium is already rented out for club team invitationals, and makes a decent chunk of change for those involved in running it. The investment for a new natatorium is probably ridiculous, although it is used by every other sport, extracurriculars, and classes. Definitely a pipe dream, but good thought.

Yea, I get what youre saying but im talking about real meets sectionals, NJ High School State meet etc. With large entry fees and large crowds
Originally posted by Shuathelete:
The natarotium is already rented out for club team invitationals, and makes a decent chunk of change for those involved in running it. The investment for a new natatorium is probably ridiculous, although it is used by every other sport, extracurriculars, and classes. Definitely a pipe dream, but good thought.

And how about being able to host a Big East championship in swimming.

Is the issue more the money or the space?

I would say both equally. It will never happen and i dont blame them. I just always thought it would be a proactive thing for the school to explore. to do it right youd need a 8-10 lane 50 meter pool with diving well and full scoreboard wil full stands seating. Thats a huge amount space and money including running costs
Originally posted by 400SOAVE:
And how about being able to host a Big East championship in swimming.

Is the issue more the money or the space?

Within about a one to two mile radius of Seton Hall there many lots that have sat vacant for literally decades. I'll say dozens, but it's probably at least 100.

If you use the word "never" when discussing a goal, then it's unlikely to happen.

On the other hand, if you think about the top clubs in the tri-state area that would love to pay to use a world-class facility, if you think about fees you can charge for a limited number of memberships (especially if you build a weight room), if you think about the large number of very affluent communities in NJ, if you think about a sponsor(s) to name the building after, i.e., The Under Armour Natatorium... then perhaps you can say "maybe" instead of "never."

This post was edited on 3/31 12:06 PM by 400SOAVE

Perhaps the Speedo Natatorium since I didn't realize that UA does not sell competitive swim gear.

Great stuff. Glad to see such improvements!!!

Well done by all.

Yea i mean if someone had the vision to make it happen it would be a serious player for numerous avenues of revenue and a major player in NE swimming
Perhaps the Speedo Natatorium since I didn't realize that UA does not sell competitive swim gear.

williaza01, I'm no expert in the world of swimming and diving.

However, an indication of the serious need in the Big East for a top notch facility is that this past season the BE S&D championship was held at Ithica College.

Last season they were held at Gloucester County Institute of Technology in Sewell. WTF was that about? I didn't even know that school existed.

I agree with you. But its is not uncommon for conferences to not use a conference pool for championships. Even conferences better than the NBE. the MAAC uses buffalo. A-10s use Buffalo on a rotation (i think).

I do agree though if one of these schools would do it they would be king of the castle and it would be pretty cool
williaza01, I'm no expert in the world of swimming and diving.

However, an indication of the serious need in the Big East for a top notch facility is that this past season the BE S&D championship was held at Ithica College.

Last season they were held at Gloucester County Institute of Technology in Sewell. WTF was that about? I didn't even know that school existed.

I guess you will not attract those type of top swimmers without a top facility.

So in this case we know whether it's the chicken or the egg that comes first.

Yea I mean you need a top top notch facility a very proven coach and money (men's money) to even come close. I mean to be honest I think even if we had the facility we wouldn't attract that level. Even louisville who just had a female double NCAA champ and double american record holder and had a male NCAA champ and record holder still isn't even considered a male or female swimming power.

I guess you will not attract those type of top swimmers without a top facility.

So in this case we know whether it's the chicken or the egg that comes first.

You have to start somewhere. You have to build toward a very high goal in at least one sport.

Iona, for example, is a national power in cross country. The men were national runner-ups in 2007 and 2008.

FDU won NCAA championships in bowling in 2006 and 2010, and played for the championship in 2012.

As Tony Bozzella says, "Why not Seton Hall?"

There's no sport that any school cannot rise to be a national power if, as you say, you get the right coach and give him the support he or she needs.

Yea I mean it is a very pipe dream type goal but that was my original point.

If someone could figure out how to create a facility as is discussed in this thread and continue the funding of the men's program it could become sort of an east coast (definitely) a NBE power which would be a good start.

Swimming is a very different sport (especially men) it is dominated at every level by club swimming. Men's money is so scarce. Also there are a number of division III schools and programs that are year in and year out better than a number of division 1 programs because of how funding works (idk if any other sports can say division III schools can regularly destroy certain d-1 programs)

I am not calling out anyone or saying anything because its a tough sport right now but I have been a tad bit surprised at our men's team performance in the NBE. We are one of the only funded programs (scholarships) in the conference and still end up middle of the road.

for example Georgetown does not offer men's money but regularly beats us. and the NBE is very weak
You have to start somewhere. You have to build toward a very high goal in at least one sport.

Iona, for example, is a national power in cross country. The men were national runner-ups in 2007 and 2008.

FDU won NCAA championships in bowling in 2006 and 2010, and played for the championship in 2012.

As Tony Bozzella says, "Why not Seton Hall?"

There's no sport that any school cannot rise to be a national power if, as you say, you get the right coach and give him the support he or she needs.

So heres some things.

Louisville recruits foreigners that are basically 5-8 years older than anybody. They are not considered a powerhouse. Gotta go super big if your looking for the best teams. Most of the good teams in the BE were all foreigners.

The old big east used to rotate before it disbanded. Pitt and Louisville held BE at their place, Notre Dame via IUPUI olympic trial pool. Before that I believe it was Nassau County pool for years.

There is no point for the New Big East to rent out a giant natatoriums anymore...there are only 5 teams. Glouscester was probably fitting...although seemingly in a horrible area (nothing around).

From what I know Buffalo has a ridiculous pool. Probably goes back to that "space" argument.

SHU could be the perennial leader (regardless of how weak the conference is), but there is no way you are going to attract top talent with a single short course 8 lane pool with no temperature contral and the most dangerous diving board this side of 2000.

Buffalo does not have a ridiculous pool. It is pretty good
Originally posted by Shuathelete:
So heres some things.

Louisville recruits foreigners that are basically 5-8 years older than anybody. They are not considered a powerhouse. Gotta go super big if your looking for the best teams. Most of the good teams in the BE were all foreigners.

The old big east used to rotate before it disbanded. Pitt and Louisville held BE at their place, Notre Dame via IUPUI olympic trial pool. Before that I believe it was Nassau County pool for years.

There is no point for the New Big East to rent out a giant natatoriums anymore...there are only 5 teams. Glouscester was probably fitting...although seemingly in a horrible area (nothing around).

From what I know Buffalo has a ridiculous pool. Probably goes back to that "space" argument.

SHU could be the perennial leader (regardless of how weak the conference is), but there is no way you are going to attract top talent with a single short course 8 lane pool with no temperature contral and the most dangerous diving board this side of 2000.

Willi - are you saying we are one of the few BE schools that are funding a swim team? If so, does that seem like a good investment?

The NBE has Xavier, Georgetown, SHU, Nova and Providence compete on the men's side.

I believe (I am not 100%) only SHU and Xavier give official men's swimming scholarships. PS. I mean give some scholarships neither are full. Usually men's teams have like 4-6 full scholarships that they divide up amongst the core of the team. Im not sure how many SHU has but it is actually higher than most in our profile

In terms of a good investment? Do you mean the sport or the pool?

In terms of the sport: I mean we have to offer some men's sports dont we? We are already borderline embarrassing in what we offer on the men's side

In terms of the pool discussed here I think if it was done right it would be a good investment for the school but like I said more on the club swim/BIG invitational and championship meet hosting level initially.

A good example would be the new Virginia Tech pool. It is a really top notch facility that Virginia Tech built in a partnership with the local town there. I believe it is even called the "town a aquatic center" even though it is almost fully used by Va Tech teams.

But they had ACC champs there this year and have already hosted numerous legit high quality club invite meets.
Originally posted by phi_pirates:
Willi - are you saying we are one of the few BE schools that are funding a swim team? If so, does that seem like a good investment?

This post was edited on 3/31 9:51 PM by williaza01

All very interesting.

As I've mentioned before, for years I have been hoping that SHU would have a national power in one non-basketball sport. Just one. Is that too much for a fan/alumnus to ask?

Softball seemed to be shooting up, beating Notre Dame two years in a row for Big East championships. They did that without their own field. Then they get that field they have now, and they immediately plunge off a cliff and have several losing seasons. In all these years nobody has explained what happened. How does that happen?

Can the SHU braintrust get together and say, "We're going to go all out and support X sport. We are going to pay top dollar for a top coach and give X coach what he needs in terms of staff, recruiting budget and a top facility. Would they do that?

Perhaps volleyball and women's golf can head in that direction? I have no idea if they are fully funded, whatever that would entail.

This post was edited on 3/31 9:55 PM by 400SOAVE

I meant funding a swimming team in general. I understand the need to fund and field non revenue generating teams to be considered a viable athletic program. But since it sounded like you are well versed in this particular one I was curious if you thought this the best allocation of funds and resources for a school like ours.

As someone who is involved in the sport I think its pretty cool our school still offer's legit men's money. But it seems my thoughts run against prevailing D-1 wisdom since men's programs are going the way of the dinosaur. Men's teams are slashed and cut on a regular basis these days
Originally posted by phi_pirates:
I meant funding a swimming team in general. I understand the need to fund and field non revenue generating teams to be considered a viable athletic program. But since it sounded like you are well versed in this particular one I was curious if you thought this the best allocation of funds and resources for a school like ours.

This post was edited on 3/31 10:02 PM by williaza01

The quality of a school's athletic infrastructure has become an important element in recruiting and under Pat's watch upgrading our athletic facilities has been a priority to be addressed and he's done a great job at doing that. It also has a residual effect in that it becomes a very visible symbol that can be used to demonstrate to donor's and prospective donors where their money is going and I believe Pat understood the value of having a strong athletic infrastructure and that's not forgetting it also shows to our athletes that the school wants them to have the "tools" to help them succeed .

ADVERTISEMENT