Oct 22, 2006

SCOTTY MIDDLETON - #55 NATIONALLY 4 STARS​

ZION HARMON - #58 NATIONALLY 4 STARS​

PRINCE ALIGBE - #79 NATIONALLY 4 STARS​

ISAIAH COLEMAN - #81 NATIONALLY 4 STARS​

GUS YALDEN - #114 NATIONALLY 4 STARS​

GODSWILL ETHERIENE - #124 NATIONALLY 3 STARS​

JAHSEEM FELTON - #139 NATIONALLY 3 STARS​

Sha's put together a roster of untapped potential with 2 scholarships left to fill. I love to watch Sha work his magic.

The real magic will be getting all of these guys to buy into the specific roles he has envisioned for them. If he can, there’s no reason why this team can’t be a solid Big East competitor. The talent is there.
Sha is always straight up with his recruits. He tells them all that they have to earn their place on the team. When a player commits with Sha they know what is expected.

Reactions: U-Hall

Sha's put together a roster of untapped potential with 2 scholarships left to fill. I love to watch Sha work his magic.
Thanks for posting this. Good Stuff!

How come you didn't include Jenkins or Mbaye?????

HIGH SCHOOL RANKINGS ARE MEANINGLESS WHEN YOU HAVE A BODY OF WORK.

A good bit of talent to work with though but it does need work. Especially from the 3-point line. Sha and team have work to do but at least something to work with.

The real magic will be getting all of these guys to buy into the specific roles he has envisioned for them. If he can, there’s no reason why this team can’t be a solid Big East competitor. The talent is there.
I would like to see Sada NgaNga come back 🦆

Reactions: chickenbox
How come you didn't include Jenkins or Mbaye?????

HIGH SCHOOL RANKINGS ARE MEANINGLESS WHEN YOU HAVE A BODY OF WORK.

A good bit of talent to work with though but it does need work. Especially from the 3-point line. Sha and team have work to do but at least something to work with.
Going out in a limb, but I think you know the answer to that question, lol.

It’s also why Al Jazeera’s version of Middle Eastern affairs is a bit different than other parts of the Western world.

Reactions: hinson32 and shu09
Kind of shows you how bad high school rankings are

Honestly look how much money and resources are put into the nfl draft and they basically have no idea

You think this publications can evaluate talent..huge scam

But if Sha think they can play that’s fine for me

But someone is going to have to shoot the ball

Reactions: PMB Pirate
I'm not sure how I feel about this roster yet. Certainly there are a lot of players that were at one time or another highly touted as high school recruits. They all on paper seem to be fits in Sha's vision for what he wants the team to be. We do appear to have more depth, and it would be huge if Sha could go 10 deep every night.

I was a bullish on the team before last year, because I thought that they had at least four guys in the lineup who were experienced Big East players, three of whom played together the previous year. I think continuity and experience mean as much as it ever has in college basketball, especially for this program.

This year, we don't have that. We have right now one guy from last year who played major Big East minutes. If Wusu comes back, we'll have two. Tubek was hurt for much of last year. The rest of the roster is currently filled out with players who either allegedly weren't used well at their previous stops (Aligbe, Middleton), standout mid-major players (Jenkins, Harmon), guys with personal issues looking to come back (Gus (and Harmon)), and true freshmen (Felton, Godswill). Not only will all of them have to learn Sha's system and learn how to play with each other, but they will all have to take a big step up in development and production in order for this to work (Coleman included).

I am intrigued as to what will happen. I think I would be more excited if I knew that many of these players would be back the next year, because this is more likely to be a rebuilding year IMO.

The key is keeping them together for a couple years. A lot of good gets but physically mature players who have been through the grind seems to be the new way to win. We don’t have that right now.

Reactions: Seton00

Yawn.

Scotty Middleton averaged 4 ppg last year, you don’t say that… Harmon as bounced around mid majors and has had some issues, don’t say that.. Yalden didn’t play a minute last year because of issues, you don’t say that, I had a better shooting % than Aligbe, but you don’t say that…

I trust Shaheen, think he can get the most out of a players talent, but you also have to realize he is getting players looking to regain their potential, he is getting players that horrible underachieved compared to their high school rankings…. Let’s be honest here and it’s concerning how you arent

That’s a bit of a broad brush. Middleton was a freshman, in a bad situation with a coach that was fired during the season and then came on real strong under the interim coach.

Aligbe had an ankle issue that impacted his sophomore season.

Agree that Harmon and Yalden have personal issues to overcome.

Just trying to be balanced.
Scotty Middleton averaged 4 ppg last year, you don’t say that… Harmon as bounced around mid majors and has had some issues, don’t say that.. Yalden didn’t play a minute last year because of issues, you don’t say that, I had a better shooting % than Aligbe, but you don’t say that…

I trust Shaheen, think he can get the most out of a players talent, but you also have to realize he is getting players looking to regain their potential, he is getting players that horrible underachieved compared to their high school rankings…. Let’s be honest here and it’s concerning how you arent

What you say is true. But harmon was good and high d1 ball is flooded with transfers from mid / low schools. Like the all big east team for example lol. Middleton was not great but many frosh arent that great these days. Who was a bigger ho hum get than jaden?

Mikes post WAS a one sided post showing only the positive side. All the facts were true.

Reactions: shupat08
That’s a bit of a broad brush. Middleton was a freshman, in a bad situation with a coach that was fired during the season and then came on real strong under the interim coach.

Aligbe had an ankle issue that impacted his sophomore season.

Agree that Harmon and Yalden have personal issues to overcome.

Just trying to be balanced.
I’m not saying any of them don’t have potential and skill…you say balanced, my post was to balance the original posters unbalanced take. They all have potential but they also all have question marks…. Both things are correct but you can’t say one without the other.

Thing that is true is that we all have faith the Holloway will bring the best out of all of them…

I’m not saying any of them don’t have potential and skill…you say balanced, my post was to balance the original posters unbalanced take. They all have potential but they also all have question marks…. Both things are correct but you can’t say one without the other.

Thing that is true is that we all have faith the Holloway will bring the best out of all of them…

Exactly. Love how the negative posts are always considered unbalanced. But as I've said for YEARS. Some people respond to unbalanced Pollyanna posts with negative factual posts to bring balance.

Reactions: shu09

Fair enough. You did not link Mike’s post so I didn’t realize you’re responding to that.

Reactions: hallsoccer03
Exactly. Love how the negative posts are always considered unbalanced. But as I've said for YEARS. Some people respond to unbalanced Pollyanna posts with negative factual posts to bring balance.
I wasn’t even trying to be negative, but there’s positives and negatives to each player they have gotten… original poster is correct about the high school rankings and potential, but there is also a reason why SHu can get these players and at the price they are…. They all have some red flags in one way shape or form…

But again, I trust Shaheen will work his magic… and I love Scotty Middleton and his potential, but again it’s no sure thing

As I recall some of the players that came in last year and prior had red flags when they came here too for one reason or another and we won the NIT with them. That includes KR.

I'm just pointing out that the potential is there and Sha is our coach. Look what Sha did with so-so athletes at St. Peter's. Our roster is much more athletic.

Many weren't thrilled about the pickup of Wusu, Bediako and Everett. Just sayin'

I'm just pointing out that the potential is there and Sha is our coach. Look what Sha did with so-so athletes at St. Peter's. Our roster is much more athletic.

Many weren't thrilled about the pickup of Wusu, Bediako and Everett. Just sayin'
Most of the guys took more than a year. The Dawes we saw 2nd half of this season wasn't the same as we saw end of last year and beginning of this year. That player took a year and a half as a 4th and 5th year guy. If you read the game threads people weren't thrilled with Wusu all year. Our program is about developing players and in this world of everyone being one and done it's going to be difficult. Sure everyone can point out the guys who improved. But everyone knows KR's biggest need for the next level is his jump shot. I'm not blaming it on coaching but it dropped 17% from 3 this year. Let's not pretend everything we touch turns to gold. Some guys will develop right away, others will take time, others will have setbacks. The problem in one and done is you can't afford to go through growing pains with a player.

We are a program that will have to take some questionable guys. We aren't getting the top 30 players especially in this environment

Sha will have his hands full trying to mesh this diverse bunch into a cohesive defense and offense starting 5 with a bench that hopefully can contribute more than the bench did this past year.

Kudos to Sha in advance for he will have his work cut out for him to turn this group that has lots of potential on paper into a productive season!

I wish him well and expect it will be very interesting for us fans to see how the season unfolds.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
Sha will have his hands full trying to mesh this diverse bunch into a cohesive defense and offense starting 5 with a bench that hopefully can contribute more than the bench did this past year.

Kudos to Sha in advance for he will have his work cut out for him to turn this group that has lots of potential on paper into a productive season!

I wish him well and expect it will be very interesting for us fans to see how the season unfolds.
Isn't this the same situation for most D1 coaches now? Complete roster turnover every year now. Maybe it's a little easier to get players to buy in that are max effort guys that have something to prove.

I am really intrigued by a few guys on the roster.

- Middleton has top 50 talent and was a freshmen, had some family issues and his coach got fired last year in mid-season. He really excelled during the last 8-10 games though - different player.
- If you read the stuff on Harmon, he was in a really bad place at Western Kentucky, but has two clean years under his belt at Bethune-Cookman and improved in his second year at BC. His ball-handling and court vision look top notch. If he continues to put in the work and listens to Sha, he can be an x-factor. An incredible HS talent...can he get that back or close to it.
- Tubek and Yalden I don't expect major contributions with all of the rust from injuries/other, but both have talent and by January/February have the potential to do more. The video posted above on Yalden is pretty insightful....kid knows the game and had put a lot of time to transform himself (practice, weight loss, weight trainging) but at the end of the day he was a teenager who mad a couple of poor decisions. Will be interested to see what kind of shape he shows up in October.

Last edited:
Interesting info about the HSratings. But what matters is that we have six guys on the roster who have played on or were closely affiliated with P6 programs.
Middleton,
Aligbe
Yalden,
Coleman
Tubek
Wusu (hopefully).

Most of these guys have to really step up their games for us to be successful next season.

Isn't this the same situation for most D1 coaches now? Complete roster turnover every year now. Maybe it's a little easier to get players to buy in that are max effort guys that have something to prove.
No it is NOT the same situtation for most division one coaches. While a lot of them had turnover, complete roster turnover including all starters and most of the bench is NOT the norm. You can look at the BE and tell us who has a complete roster turnover besides SHU? It will not be most of the BE schools.

No it is NOT the same situtation for most division one coaches. While a lot of them had turnover, complete roster turnover including all starters and most of the bench is NOT the norm. You can look at the BE and tell us who has a complete roster turnover besides SHU? It will not be most of the BE schools.
Last year this team had five senior starters which was not the norm, so essentially two guys were gone anyway and very few fifth year seniors stay for the fifth year. One of the three is staying.

There were over 2,000 players in the portal this year which equates to six players per team.

Reactions: Flnj86 and PROF Ed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT