ADVERTISEMENT

SHU release news

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
For immediate release.

Not yet on the official site.

Seton Hall’s Delgado tabbed Met Writers Co-Rookie of the Year; Gibbs named All-Met second team

NEW YORK – The Seton Hall men’s basketball team earned a pair of Metro New York City honors Wednesday as freshman Angel Delgado (Bajos De Haina, Dominican Republic) was named the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Co-Rookie of the Year, and junior Sterling Gibbs (Scotch Plains, N.J.) was named second-team All-Met. The pair will be honored this evening at the annual Met Writers awards banquet at the Westchester Marriott in Tarrytown, N.Y.

Delgado is the eighth Met Rookie of the Year in Seton Hall history and first since 2007. He joins previous Pirates winners Andre McCloud (1983), Terry Dehere (1990), Jerry Walker (1991), Shaheen Holloway (1997), Darius Lane (2000), Eddie Griffin (2001) and Eugene Harvey (2007) on the list. Gibbs’ selection to the second team gives Seton Hall an All-Met selection for the 10th year in a row and 34 of the last 35 years.

The nation’s leading freshman rebounder and the BIG EAST Rookie of the Year, Delgado was tops among all Div. I rookies with a 9.8 rebounds per game average. Overall, he ranked 22nd in the country and was 13th in the nation in offensive rebounding at 3.6 per game. He upped his game during BIG EAST play, winning the conference’s rebounding title with 10.7 rebounds per league game, becoming the first freshman to do it since Notre Dame’s Troy Murphy in 1997. He also averaged 9.8 points per conference game, up from his 9.3 points per game overall average.

A three-time BIG EAST Rookie of the Week. Delgado led the BIG EAST with 10 double-doubles on the season, including seven during conference play. Ten of his 15 double-digit rebounding efforts also came during the conference schedule. One of his signature games was a 19-point, 19-rebound night vs. DePaul on Jan. 22. The 19 rebounds were the second-most ever by a freshman in a BIG EAST conference game. He had a 13-point, 12-rebound day in Seton Hall's win over then-No. 15 St. John's on Dec. 31, and had a flair for the dramatic, delivering the game-winning put-back layup to seal The Hall's victory over Creighton on Feb. 28.

Gibbs, who previously has been named second-team All-BIG EAST and NABC All-District 5, two-time BIG EAST Player of the Week and five-time selection to the Honor Roll, enjoyed a breakout season in which he ranked fifth in the BIG EAST in scoring (16.3 PPG), fifth in assists (3.8 APG), second in three-point shooting (.436), second in three-pointers made (2.6 3PG) and sixth in assist/turnover ratio (1.9). His three-point shooting also was the ninth-best in the country. He was the only player in the BIG EAST to rank in the conference's top five in scoring, assists and three-point shooting.

Gibbs had nine 20-point games this season, including a career-high, 40-point outburst in the championship game of the 2014 Paradise Jam, leading to MVP honors. Eight of the nine 20-point games came during BIG EAST play, including a 25-point, eight-assist day in Seton Hall's upset win over then-No. 15 St. John's and a 30-point game vs. Butler. Seven times this season he was able to post more than 15 points and five assists. He's also was a prolific three-point shooter, making four or more in a game eight times this season.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 6m 6 minutes ago
There is no valid argument as far as the Sterling Gibbs situation goes. Voters got it wrong. He should be on All-Met 1st Team. End of story.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 9m 9 minutes ago
The Met voters really love Iona, and I would love to just know why. Gaels did not make the tournament. Enough. Said.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 10m 10 minutes ago
John Fanta retweeted A Daly Dose Of Hoops

Iona - not a tournament team at the end of the day. And, Gibbs has more than proved he's Big East caliber.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 15m 15 minutes ago
Put Gibbs in the MAAC. He would automatically become a Player of the Year candidate and would dominate the league.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 17m 17 minutes ago
So wait, you're telling me that if you're assembling a team in the metro area, Sterling Gibbs is going to come off the bench? Stop it.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 23m 23 minutes ago
The MAAC is not the Big East. Gibbs was one of the best players in the league. That alone should say why he should be on All-Met 1st Team.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 25m 25 minutes ago
There's no way to counter this either - Sterling Gibbs was as good as any guard in the country at one point this season.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 30m 30 minutes ago
Gibbs vs. St. John's on 12/31 - 25 points, 5-of-7 from 3, 8 assists, 0 TURNOVERS. Gibbs vs. Nova on 1/3 - 20 points, 4 assists, 8/20 FG.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 33m 33 minutes ago
As Sterling Gibbs went, Seton Hall went. I just went through the stats. The kid powered the Pirates back on the national stage.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 33m 33 minutes ago
It is not accurate to think that 6 players in the metro area are better than Sterling Gibbs. Junior was also 2nd in BE - 2.6 3's per game.

John Fanta @John_Fanta · 38m 38 minutes ago
Sterling Gibbs was the ONLY @BIGEASTMBB player to be in top 5 in both pts per game and assists. Not an All-Met First Teamer? That's a crime.

John Fanta ‏@John_Fanta
Seton Hall's Sterling Gibbs got snubbed. He deserves to be on the All-Met First Team. 16.3 ppg, 110 assists, 44% from 3, 43% from field.

Congrats and well deserved and acknowledged
The writers really got it wrong. Gibbs deserved first team. But the team stunk in the end and were no longer on the front page. Had we made the dance- or even the NIT, he would have had a better shot.

Fanta's gonna have an aneurysm.

Yea, Fanta's freaking out. Repeating the same thing over and over again kind of starts to take away from the power of the original message. Kind of like.....

Gibbs has been getting screwed all year on these post-season awards. Makes you wonder what else is being factored into the minds of the voters.

The fact that SHU lost 11 of the last 12 or something like + his flagrant foul had to have hurt him. His numbers though, do not lie.

The Ryan A/Nova situation had to be factored in and is why he's not 1st team right?

Congratulatios to both of them.Despite the overall performance of the team they were outstanding and deserved the honors. I think the Ryan A incident hurt Sterling because he should have been in my opinion first team.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I pretty much understand what happened with Sterling and the Ryan A fiasco, but Delgado can be the sole Rookie of the Year in the BE but not for All-Metro? Okay...

My God, people actually care about this? Somebody get that Fanta person a tranquilizer.

Anyhow I only really posted anything to say that I hate these new boards. But then again I hate pretty much everything.

Not sure what All-Met is and don't really care. I bet the kids don't care either.

And Angel is BE ROY and Metro co-ROY...hmmmm

The writers will always bend over backwards to reward the schools in the lower conferences. We haven't had a Haggerty winner in a long time. Was Dre the last one?

And Angel is BE ROY and Metro co-ROY...hmmmm

The writers will always bend over backwards to reward the schools in the lower conferences. We haven't had a Haggerty winner in a long time. Was Dre the last one?
Adrian Griffin

Luis Flores won it Barrett's junior and senior seasons.

Not sure what All-Met is and don't really care. I bet the kids don't care either.

All Metropolitan area. All of the NY/NJ schools. I'd imagine the local guys would get fueled by any form of being slighted.

ADVERTISEMENT