ADVERTISEMENT

Six takeaways from Derrick Gordon's pledge to Seton Hall

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Jerry Carino, @NJHoopsHaven 8:33 a.m. EDT May 18, 2015

B9317388537Z.1_20150518082511_000_G85AQPUTU.1-0.jpg

Plainfield native Derrick Gordon's decision to transfer home is big news for Seton Hall University, on and off the court. What are the ramifications of the postgraduate guard -- the first openly gay Division I men's basketball player -- joining the Pirates? Six thoughts:

1. It was surprising and disheartening to hear Gordon say...............

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...k-gordon-seton-hall-basketball-lgbt/27521435/

That's one heck of a read by Jerry. No punches pulled.

Agree Dan. The other thing that is hard to no longer notice (if anyone failed on that account): SHAHEEN HOLLOWAY.

Here is what I hope to see this year - and it would make me forget all the stupid / Willard. I hope to see Holloway's impact surface more and more - in terms of coaching, recruiting, speaking. He has stayed loyal to Seton Hall just about like nobody else. I know we have debated who follows Willard when he exits, but good heavens, I would like to see Holloway grow this year, be given the platform this year, and get the chance next year for real. He's the lone guy it seems on the staff who has the respect in this area.

I know - I'm overly enthusiastic on this and who knows what the future brings. But I'd like to see more interviews with him, more chances to speak in public and more chances to be visible, driving things. There's only so long the fellow can be kept in the corner, for goodness sake.

Didn't anyone notice who Carino left out on the 13 man roster???

Who knows; maybe Willard can take a leave of absence when we get to the BE schedule and let Holloway take over for the rest of the year.....

I think Jerry was a little unfairly harsh on the archdiocese intimating that they oppose having gay athletes on the basketball team. If they follow Pope Frances' words... as Catholics, we don't wag fingers, but we treat all people the same. I don't think you will see any anti Gordon statements from the archbishop or any one else at the Chancery. For that matter.. when was the last time the chancery publicly made any comment concerning Seton hall athletics.... never and I'm sure it will say that way.

As long as it is treated with dignity by all.. we'll be OK.

Can't wait for this to settle down to just hoops and what Gordon will bring to the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT