ADVERTISEMENT

St. John’s lands 2015 quality point guard

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr.
Raphielle Johnson

May 21, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT

lovett-e1432184981773.png

(Nike)

Having already added six players to the program since taking over as head coach at St. John’s, Chris Mullin has reeled in a seventh addition.

Late Wednesday night four-star point guard Marcus LoVett Jr., one of the most entertaining players in the class, announced via his Twitter account that he’s committed to the Big East program. LoVett posted a photo of his signed National Letter of Intent, which will become official once the school announces that it has received it.

LoVett is the third freshman to join the St. John’s program for the 2015-16 season, joining two-guard Malik Ellison and 6-foot-11 center Yankuba Sims. Also making their way to Queens this summer are Tennessee transfer Tariq Owens, junior college transfer Darien Williams (sophomore), former Missouri State guard Ron Mvuoika and former Pitt wing Durand Johnson.

Johnson and Mvouika will be eligible immediately as graduate students, and Owens will have to sit out the 2015-16 season per NCAA transfer rules.

The 6-foot LoVett is a quick point guard who can handle the basketball and put points on the board, and he gives the Red Storm depth at the position. Rysheed Jordan, who averaged 14.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game last season, is expected to run the show for Mullin next season. LoVett gives St. John’s another option at the point, and Mullin could also play the two together at times.

LoVett, who played his senior year at Morgan Park HS in Chicago, was also considering Memphis, Illinois, UC Irvine, DePaul, Pittsburgh, UNLV and San Diego State.

Chirs Mullin is unproven and has never been a coach, so it doesn't matter. ;)

I've heard the staff has looked over all transcripts and wouldn't take a commit unless they thought he'd qualify. He's been going to night classes for past six months to be sure. His coach Mac Irvin insists he is going to qualify. Kid is a beast of a PG. Fast, great handle, great passer and can shoot. Can look at some of his highlights. Big pickup for SJU if he's qualified.

I remember when you said the same thing about Jevon a few years ago...lol. Hope the kid can play and Mullin makes a big slash. The BE is in major need of NYC buzz.

Lovett a different level talent than Jevon. I liked Jevon and thought Jevon would do more but never did. Jevon never had the scoring ability of Lovett. This kid Lovett keeps getting better. Just ended his season losing in the Illinois state finals. He scored 45 points on 20/27 shooting with only 3 turnovers. Hey, I can't guarantee anything, but he passes the eye test, and his stats support it in a tough Chicago league. I'm hoping he's a good a player as he looks.

Last edited:
SJU, I must say, your disappearance after we beat you last season will be a black mark on you for some time...lol

It had nothing to do with that... I disappeared from the SJU boards too. Had a sick mother fwiw. Just coincidence. I wasn't back the rest of the season and we had a good season. I wasn't on any board very much.

Mullin just killing it--taking young Kevin to school.

Yes but the facts that Mullin is a media darling,was a tremendous player and competitor who has unlimited resources, plus a couple of recruiting sharks will not matter. We are counseled that he has never coached before so these facts give Pirate fans great comfort.

Reactions: shupat08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT