ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling Gibbs commits

Mar 2, 2015
Gibbs commits to UCONN per twitter. I am wondering how someone makes a decision that fast without taking any visits without tampering while someone is under scholarship.

Isn't it illegal to contact someone until they declare they are transferring? Classy Kevin Ollie, telling him to leave, that bullshit.

According to Rothstein this is not official yet and he has not committed, however in general, trimming your list close to a decision means definitely been talking to team all season. Makes me sick.

Ollie had him visit UConn but most people thought he was there for the SHU women.

Wow, if true. Just few minutes ago I was reading that he hadn't put together a list of schools yet, or planned any of his visits. I thought he might shoot for a higher conference, and a team with a better chance of making a deep run. Maybe it was about the shots after all.

His visited Uconn with his brother and father awhile ago, and that wasn't his only visit to another school.

Focusing on Seton Hall players on the team. Hope we can add a guard for one year 2015 class.

Yes, it is time to move on. But most dyed-in-the wool Seton Hall fans have a deep antipathy toward Uconn. This doesn't help!
I don't fault Sterling for leaving. He was a great player for us. It's just so tragic how so much has crashed and burned in our program.

which is illegal
Why? What do base that on? He's not a hs recruit. He's a graduating senior who has a year of eligibility left. Not your typical transfer either. Different set of rules. A lot of things may have been going on behind the scenes (stealth).

Wherever he lands I wish him luck and hope he gets that graduate degree. He'll be missed.

Reactions: rickj_65
Gibbs commits to UCONN per twitter. I am wondering how someone makes a decision that fast without taking any visits without tampering while someone is under scholarship.

Isn't it illegal to contact someone until they declare they are transferring? Classy Kevin Ollie, telling him to leave, that bullshit.

According to Rothstein this is not official yet and he has not committed, however in general, trimming your list close to a decision means definitely been talking to team all season. Makes me sick.

I posted this weeks ago that he was in Storrs to visit Ollie, not just watch WBB NCAA game vs. Rutgers.

Other than Adam Zagoria, who else said he committed on Twitter? I just looked and didn't see anyone else state that on Twitter. Adam Zagoria is wrong a lot and he said that it was "reported" on Twitter that he committed. He is probably making it up that is why he put the word reported in quotes...lol

I believe he went up to UCONN during the women's NCAA tournament. I am sure he spoke with Ollie then.

I just checked Adams Twitter.... 13 hours ago he stated that SG will cut his list in the coming days. Then an hour later he stated that Temple Gibbs Sr. said he has not committed anywhere. Meanwhile there were no other tweets from anyone else or Zags in between this time frame about Gibbs. Then two hours later he states in quotes that someone reported that he had committed. But nowhere on Twitter had anyone stated this. This is why I believe he is lying but if it comes true he will state that he was the first to report it.

Last edited:
I don't care anymore. Wherever he goes, he goes. None of it matters. SHU has a lot of other things to be concerned about.

I don't agree with schools blocking kids to transfer to certain schools but if this is true...

Sterling has made a decision to move on and so should we. The loyalty factor in the major college sports is no longer the factor it once was. We see coaches under contract leave without hesitation and abandon the players they recruited without any qualms. We see players transfer not once but twice in their college career and nothing should surprise anyone that kids are transferring as is it has become an ever growing part part of the college athletic landscape today so when they do its just another part of being a college sports fan.

First thing Sterling needs to do is take about 500 FTs a day sprinting in between every 25. I have never seen any player go from shooting 85 % for half a season and then drop to about 50 for the other half. 2013-4 was worse than last year, but if ever a guy had a mental issue shooting FTs, it's Sterling Gibbs.

Reactions: shupat08
Where a college student goes to school or transfers to has nothing to do with loyalty. Where a young person goes to college is a critical decision, and these kids need to be selfish. It's not about "the team" or "screwing the university," it's about making their lives better. The kid comes first, and the good of the team or school isn't even in the same stratosphere. Sterling Gibbs transferred to Seton Hall, stayed three years, and got his degree. That qualifies as a success story and should be applauded, as should the story of any other college student who achieves such a goal. Now he is transferring to another school to study for his graduate degree. That's his business and no one else's. He is not screwing anybody or letting anyone down. He is doing what is best for him, which is what decisions regarding higher education should be about. He needs to be loyal to himself and his goals, which is what he is doing. It's the same thing with Jaren Sina transferring. It's his life, and he needs to be selfish in planning for his future. Sometimes being selfish is a virtue, and these are but two instances where that is the case.

Interesting that the two guys with the highest ball IQ's on the team (according to the coach) assessed the situation and got out.

What does that tell you about KW's basketball IQ and how he handles a team? For Sina and Gibbs, not good enough.

Reactions: boatshu
At this point, what does it matter? He was unhappy here, there was a schism, so he left.

Going into next season with a guard lineup of only Whitehead, Carrington, and Soffer is obviously more worriesome.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
How do you criticize Gibbs when his coach was trying to bail to Holy Cross? The only difference is Gibbs is in demand and his coach isn't.

How can you possibly say that that Holy Cross rumor has any substance? They called him? just like kevin ollie called sterling gibbs, one is legal, one is not. Plus if he wanted the job Holy Cross would have given it to him, that was well-known. Everyone wants to criticize Willard for things that didn't even happen. God people who dont know a thing about whats going on just yell for him to be fired

Hall_fan. No place for facts on this message board recently, the board is unreadable because of a handful of posters.

What is illegal about Ollie and Gibbs having these alleged conversations? Gibbs was about to graduate from Seton Hall, and was looking to go to grad school someplace else. It's not like Ollie would have been looking to "steal" Gibbs from Seton Hall, as Gibbs was certainly within his rights to go somewhere else. Going from an undergraduate program to a graduate one involves a small window of opportunity for the student-athlete. So you need to act quickly, or else be shut out of school and program you're really interested in. This is nothing like recruiting a kid out of high school, which makes the insinuations of tampering and other illegalities ludicrous. Gibbs was not Seton Hall's property. So how is his situation different from any other students who look to open a new chapter in their academic life?

How can you possibly say that that Holy Cross rumor has any substance? They called him? just like kevin ollie called sterling gibbs, one is legal, one is not. Plus if he wanted the job Holy Cross would have given it to him, that was well-known. Everyone wants to criticize Willard for things that didn't even happen. God people who dont know a thing about whats going on just yell for him to be fired
Unfortunately it is abundantly clear exactly what is going on. We have a coach who is way over his head as evidenced by his record, recruiting and overall management of our beloved basketball program. Holy Cross would have to be on Crack to have any yearnings for this dull and loser of a man. He has used up every single gram of goodwill and the faithful fans have had it with him and his putrid personality.

To call him a lousy coach, in over his head , bad motivator, and poor recruiter is accurate

To call him dull and a loser of a man is not

How dull can be? He make $1.4MM a year with a buyout that's rumored to be around $3 MM.
And he gets that for doing a very bad job. To me that's winning.

We've set him up for life and he'll be laughing at us long after he's gone.

How can you possibly say that that Holy Cross rumor has any substance?
Because it did....and if an assistant coaching job comes up after the NBA season ends, he would jump for that in a minute if the economics worked out for him. KW has no loyalty to SHU.

Untill a player either graduates from a university or declares that he will transfer, something sterling waited until this week to do, then yes it is tampering according to the NCAA rule book.

If this was not tampering then no one would declare they are transferring and then open their recruitment, because coaches would be calling all the time. As we see with the 700 other transfers, most declared after the season and opened up for fair recruiting, and gives their team a chance to replace them.

Also Sterling waited so long because he did not want to walk around campus knowing he is leaving because he didn't get what he wants and knowing even though he knows where hes going, he waited to make sure we couldn't get anyone solid to replace him

What is illegal about Ollie and Gibbs having these alleged conversations? Gibbs was about to graduate from Seton Hall, and was looking to go to grad school someplace else. It's not like Ollie would have been looking to "steal" Gibbs from Seton Hall, as Gibbs was certainly within his rights to go somewhere else. Going from an undergraduate program to a graduate one involves a small window of opportunity for the student-athlete. So you need to act quickly, or else be shut out of school and program you're really interested in. This is nothing like recruiting a kid out of high school, which makes the insinuations of tampering and other illegalities ludicrous. Gibbs was not Seton Hall's property. So how is his situation different from any other students who look to open a new chapter in their academic life?

You can't be serious. I don't begrudge him for leaving, but you really believe he's itching to get into a graduate program or that he could possibly lose a spot?

totally agree, know for a fact these decisions are made all on basketball and find a made up graduate degree at whatever school they want. Braeden being the exception.

It doesn't matter whether it's for basketball reasons or not. He is perfectly within his rights to transfer to another school to pursue a master's degree. A friend of mine went to Rutgers undergraduate, then went to Seton Hall Law School. He spent much of his final semester at Rutgers checking out various law schools, and naturally spoke to people at his possible destinations. He wasn't a student-athlete, but how is that really different from Gibbs' situation? And it was suggested on this board months ago that Gibbs was trying to figure out which graduate programs Seton Hall didn't offer. Therefore, he would have to have been looking for a school that offered what he was looking for (regardless of the reason for his interest). So he must have been initiating contact with other schools during that process, just as any student would.

Other students don't have to follow rules under NCAA guidelines, also Sterling reaching out to UCONN would not have been a problem, however almost certainly It was the other way around, also not the academic people, but Kevin Ollie, who has nothing to do with his major

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT