ADVERTISEMENT

Take W Golf to Next Level

400SOAVE

All American
Jan 24, 2009
As we proudly enjoy back-to-back SHU women's golf BE championships and await the NCAA announcement next Monday, I hope SHU is going to do everything possible to allow the team to take it to the next level.

Whether that means more money for the coaches, more money for recruiting, attending more in-season tournaments, giving the team more practice opportunities, bringing in a consultant/coach for a couple of days to give them a fresh perspective, etc., please do not let them slip as we've seen with other strong programs.

Perhaps they're doing that already? If not, SHU needs to put their support on equal footing with other ranked programs. Keep the momentum going.

Send a message to recruits (and to SHU donors) that you're serious about competing against the best.

Go Pirates!

Move the program to the South if you want to be on the next level. NE collegiate golf can only go so far. We are doing a very good job. Extra $? Put it into some of the other sports or to beef up MBB assistants

The golf programs are well-funded, especially compared to peer programs. HallX2 is correct. The biggest thing that would benefit the programs would be if they were located in Florida, Georgia, Arizona, etc.

The golf programs are well-funded, especially compared to peer programs. HallX2 is correct. The biggest thing that would benefit the programs would be if they were located in Florida, Georgia, Arizona, etc.
First of all, it's annoying that this new system automatically includes a quote.

Anyway, these answers are incredible.

The coach has played at high level. She's a winner. I'm sure she has big-time plans. If she read these comments, she would probably roll her eyes at the defeatist comments.

Reactions: Ann_S
In the history of women's college golf, there has been exactly one national champion from a state where year-round golf is not possible. One.

Also, both programs are well-funded compared to peer programs. Both of the head coaches are now full-time and the school is willing to pay for the best facilities for practice and home tournaments. The women's program is viewed by the athletic department as a Northeast dynasty in the making and has the funding to achieve that. The one thing really holding the program back is the location and no amount of additional money can change that.

The only thing that can be done is play against top programs in backyards of those top programs, which the school is providing funding for, especially in women's golf. During the spring season for the women, other than our own invitational (hosted at a course that will be hosting men's and women's majors soon), the team traveled to Arizona, South Carolina, and Florida. If the school went cheap, they would have been toiling away in small Northeast invites this spring.

If there's something else that needs to be done with the additional funding that you say they need (on top of the good funding they are receiving), then please share it. Based on your initial post, playing and practicing at Trump National is inadequate, competing exclusively in tournaments in states that produce the best teams is wrong, and having a national recruiting budget isn't enough.

6711, you're replying to statements I did not make.

I said, "I hope SHU is going to do everything possible to allow the team to take it to the next level." Then I said, "Perhaps they're doing that already? "

If the team is getting everything allowed under NCAA rules then that's great to know.

As for having to be able to play year round to be ranked... teams such as Northwestern (near Chicago) and Michigan State seem to manage being ranked.

Why Not Seton Hall? (Sorry coach B, I had to borrow your mantra for golf.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT