ADVERTISEMENT

The Harvard Powerhouse

Oct 22, 2006
Are you surprised that Amaker has turned Harvard into such a power? He came in and didn't have much to work with. He had Jeremy Lin, but everyone else was bad. Then he started signing 3 star recruits from places like California, D.C, and Canada and the program did a 180. I remember there being an article in his first year that accused Harvard of sneaking some of those players in with SAT scores well below the university's standards, but none of that was substantiated, and, even if he did, it worked didn't it?

I actually pull for Harvard every time they make the NCAA Tourney now. They've won as a 14 seed against New Mexico, a 12 seed against Cincinnati, and this year they were inches away from beating the team that will probably enter this year as the preseason #1 (North Carolina).

How do you feel about all this? Do you pull for them? I think they're so close to having a breakthrough and making a Final Four run as a 9 or 10 seed.

Are you surprised that Amaker has turned Harvard into such a power? He came in and didn't have much to work with. He had Jeremy Lin, but everyone else was bad. Then he started signing 3 star recruits from places like California, D.C, and Canada and the program did a 180. I remember there being an article in his first year that accused Harvard of sneaking some of those players in with SAT scores well below the university's standards, but none of that was substantiated, and, even if he did, it worked didn't it?

I actually pull for Harvard every time they make the NCAA Tourney now. They've won as a 14 seed against New Mexico, a 12 seed against Cincinnati, and this year they were inches away from beating the team that will probably enter this year as the preseason #1 (North Carolina).

How do you feel about all this? Do you pull for them? I think they're so close to having a breakthrough and making a Final Four run as a 9 or 10 seed.
If they had a good bench coach they'd be even better. Amaker can't be completely unmasked in the Ivy environment. That Dartmouth, Yale, and Princeton beat them on a fairly regular basis says it all. He is EXACTLY what Harvard needs. Using his word when he got the job, He fits Harvard's "brand". If he tries to move up again, he'll be exposed again.

Are you kidding me?

The man is literally playing by different rules than the rest of the coaches in the league. Every year 3/4 of their squad could not have gained admittance at the other ivies. He recruits and signs guys the other ivies wouldn't even send a letter to.

Harvard should go undefeated in the league and make the NCAA every year, not because of their head coach, because they are literally playing by different rules than the rest of their league.

No respect.

Harvard a power. Now that's really really funny. Tommy Shamaker - even funnier. Why does anyone care about that sham of a man who lied to his team and stealthily left SO? He's a loser and that's all hell ever be to quote the Beatles.

Reactions: thepirate2008
I believe there was an article a couple of years ago stating that Amaker successfully lobbied to have the admissions standards lowered with respect to athletes ( it may have just been for basketball), much to the consternation of many alums and faculty.

Reactions: shupat08
A loser? His resume's full of winning. He did what 9/10 coaches would have done. Roy Williams ditched KU for his dream job. Dana Altman ditched Creighton and his home state for Pac 10 $$$. There are plenty of coaches who leave positions they've been ensconced in for years for good reasons.

I pull for Harvard as my #2 team behind the Hall just like I pulled for Michigan as my #2 in the Daniel Horton days and I root for the day when Coach K retires and Duke decides to hire Amaker. .

While
I believe there was an article a couple of years ago stating that Amaker successfully lobbied to have the admissions standards lowered with respect to athletes ( it may have just been for basketball), much to the consternation of many alums and faculty.
While that practice is probably less true for Ivies, I have no doubt the MANY top Ivy athletes, while terrific students, are not Ivy without the sports. Maybe Harvard lowered standards lower. SHU and virtually every other D1 school certainly has lower admittance standards for athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT