ADVERTISEMENT

The movie "Above the Rim"??

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Never saw it before. From 95. Tupac is bad bro but the star overcomes, gets the ship to Georgetown and hits the winning shot to beat the Seton Hall Pirates for the BE title.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Never saw it before. From 95. Tupac is bad bro but the star overcomes, gets the ship to Georgetown and hits the winning shot to beat the Seton Hall Pirates for the BE title.

They filmed that scene before an actual SHU-Gtown game in Landover. They showed video of them filming the scene during the real game. I used to be connected enough to hang out now and then in the hoops office during those days, and I was there about a week later when a huge box had just been delivered with all of the uniforms the producers had borrowed. If it came out in ‘95, I guess the scene was filmed during the ‘94 season.

That movie is insane on multiple levels, but I will watch it whenever I find it channel surfing. And the cameo by the guy who used to be on MTV playing the part of the big-time PG recruit (going to NC, I think) kills me every time.

The thing about it was that our program had been at such a level for five years or so that there was prestige in him and his Georgetown team beating Seton Hall for the title. We were recognized as a notable, premier-level opponent.

Ironically, that was also about the time it suddenly went south.

Reactions: garyshu71
The thing about it was that our program had been at such a level for five years or so that there was prestige in him and his Georgetown team beating Seton Hall for the title. We were recognized as a notable, premier-level opponent.

Ironically, that was also about the time it suddenly went south.
I used to do biz with the Museum of Natl History. I would walk thru the park on my way to see them. I often passed a few young, lets call them entrepeneurs, selling a now legal substance. They wore GU garb all the time. After the 89 title game, I saw them, and said if not for that call, you guys are wearing SHU Pirate garb today. They all smiled and nodded. We were at such a high level from them till PJ left.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUSource
That movie is insane on multiple levels, but I will watch it whenever I find it channel surfing. And the cameo by the guy who used to be on MTV playing the part of the big-time PG recruit (going to NC, I think) kills me every time.

This is 1 of my favorite basketball movies. I'm not sure what's more hysterical in hindsight, the MTV guy as the big time PG or Pee Wee Kirkland playing a by the book college recruiter. Either way I love this film

And I think the guy who played the good brother played David Ruffin in a movies about the Temptations. At least I think that is why he looked familiar. Gotta say the hoops looked good. There is a movie made in the 50s or earliy sixties starring Anthony Perkins, and the hoops was like bad grammar school stuff. Was a riot.

And I think the guy who played the good brother played David Ruffin in a movies about the Temptations. At least I think that is why he looked familiar. Gotta say the hoops looked good. There is a movie made in the 50s or earliy sixties starring Anthony Perkins, and the hoops was like bad grammar school stuff. Was a riot.
Yup. And the guy who played Tupac’s main henchman was one of the main characters in Remember the Titans and also played the legendary Avon Barksdale in the Wire.

Is always nice for SHU to get a Shoutout but I'm not a fan of Tupac. He wasn't a good person.

He was young (died at 24), not many of us were great people at that age.

Also, there is some evidence in the final two songs of his final album, that he may have experienced a religious conversion (possibly Catholic, given he calls out to the Blessed Virgin Mary) at the very end of his life.

I can't cite Tupac's life history offhand. I know he had some troubles. I also know he was a brilliant artist. I'm not the biggest fan of that genre, yet I really like much of his music and still listen to some of it. And he had some acting chops too; I love his performance in Juice. Sky was the limit for someone with that talent.

The thug life, West Coast 2Pac is the image most people associate with him, when in reality he's a kid from Harlem who went to schools for the performing arts. His East Coast/West Coast beef (at the peak of gangsta rap & parental advisory headlines) was manufactured by the fact that rivalry brings attention, and eventual record sales.

But as good as a rapper he was, he was such a great actor. I have this feeling the box office money would be too good for him to turn down to make music a regular thing (see: LL Cool J, Ice Cube, Ice-T).

You can watch Above the Rim and make your comments positive and negative, but it's hard not to see the potential 2Pac had as an actor. Between this and Juice, he couldve been a big draw simply as a bad guy.

I thought he played a good villain in ABR for that type of movie. I thought he was phenomenal in Juice. And he was pretty good in Poetic Justice although I don’t like that movie nearly as much as the other two.

I was not too impressed with his acting in this movie. I do think he is (was) a star. He had it. Still too much shooting on the periphery of hiphop imo. A murder in nyc recently. And man do i miss rnb/soul and its great influence on rock. I am sure I sound like an old guy. But i got 99 reasons to say that.

I know it's been a very very long time but, i hear you on that! It's interesting how different roles can really showcase an actor's range. Speaking of which, there are so many diverse movies out there that offer unique perspectives and performances. It's all part of what makes the world of movies so fascinating!

Last edited:
They filmed that scene before an actual SHU-Gtown game in Landover. They showed video of them filming the scene during the real game. I used to be connected enough to hang out now and then in the hoops office during those days, and I was there about a week later when a huge box had just been delivered with all of the uniforms the producers had borrowed. If it came out in ‘95, I guess the scene was filmed during the ‘94 season.
I was there for that game. My father and I got there early, and we couldn’t make heads or tails of what was going on. At first we thought maybe we had arrived at the game late LOL. As The Washington Post reported the next day “The Georgetown Hoyas defeated the Seton Hall Pirates twice yesterday, but only one game counted and only one game was close” or something to that effect. Anyway, we got to watch them do the last several takes for the scene. Can confirm it was 1994.

Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT