ADVERTISEMENT

There's no excuse for Huggins using a homophobic slur, but how will West Virginia react?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Huggins apologized for using a 'completely insensitive and abhorrent phrase' but it's up to WVU officials to decide if that's enough​

By Gary Parrish

usatsi-19875381-1.jpg

Shortly after the audio was posted online Monday, and West Virginia coach Bob Huggins' career was suddenly very much up in the air because he used a homophobic slur twice on live radio in a shockingly casual way, something the Naismith Memorial Hall of Famer tweeted in November 2020 started circulating.

It was a tweet about Thom Brennaman.

Brennaman was, back in 2020, the television play-by-play voice of the Cincinnati Reds and a lead announcer on NFL games for Fox. He was a big deal, an accomplished guy. But in August 2020, while working a game between the Reds and Royals, Brennaman was caught on a hot microphone calling San Francisco "one of the f-g capitals of the world," using a homophobic slur.

Very quickly, he lost those jobs. Then, just three months later, Huggins had Brennaman speak to his team.

Here's what Huggins subsequently tweeted:

Incredible, right?

What that tweet illustrates is that if anybody should've had a proper understanding of what saying that word publicly can do to a career, it should've been the guy whose friend lost his career after accidentally saying that word on air. But there was Bob Huggins, live on radio Monday, twice saying that word on air -- not accidentally but actually very intentionally -- while referring to Xavier fans as "Catholic f--s."

Huggins released an apology after the audio created headlines.

"On a Cincinnati radio program, I was asked about the rivalry between my former employer, the University of Cincinnati, and its crosstown rival, Xavier University," Huggins tweeted. "During the conversation, I used a completely insensitive and abhorrent phrase that there is simply no excuse for -- and I won't try to make one here. I deeply apologize to the individuals I have offended, as well as to the Xavier University community, the University of Cincinnati and West Virginia University. As I have shared with my players over my 40 years of coaching, there are consequences for our words and actions, and I will fully accept any coming my way. I am ashamed and embarrassed and heartbroken for those I have hurt. I must do better, and I will."

I still have questions.

Huggins has been speaking publicly for roughly four decades and has to know it's not OK to use that word, if only because his friend lost his career using that word less than three years ago -- so why on Earth did he use that word twice on live radio? (It clearly wasn't a slip-up because, again, he said it not once but twice.) Had he been drinking? Did he not know he was on air? Exactly what led to Huggins twice saying that word on radio?

Unfortunately, we might never get a full explanation because any explanation would be interpreted by some as an excuse, and Huggins said he's uninterested in making any excuses. So what's done is done, the apology has been released, and now we'll all just wait to see how West Virginia University officials, who have already said the situation is "is under review," respond.

Will Huggins be suspended?

Terminated?

Or will his status as a legend in the sport of college basketball, and an icon in the state of West Virginia, allow him to continue his highly decorated, but also controversial, head-coaching career that dates to 1980 and features more wins at the Division I level than any other coach in history not named Mike Krzyzewski or Jim Boeheim has accumulated. I'll stop short of making a prediction -- but, yeah, it's totally reasonable to assume this might really be it, that Bob Huggins might soon join the list of coaches who lost their high-profile jobs not for losing too many games, but for doing or saying something away from the court that you simply cannot do or say.

I think time has passed Huggy Bear by. This guy has ducked a few self destruct moments in the past. Time to go.
As long as he continues to get his team into the post season, why?

Dumb comment and he should know better, but I think sami said it best. WVU suspends him for a couple of games to start the season like Creighton did with McDermott and life goes on.

Reactions: PirateFan94
I find that his comment was much, much worse than what McDermott did. McDermott used a phrase that was upsetting but he was in the heat of the moment and it was not intended to be racial and he has no former transgressions or history of this at all. He mistakenly said something and the words came out wrong.

Huggy Bear is a totally different story and this was calling out both Catholics and gay people and he should have known better on a radio show. He's also done stupid stuff before and is a known curmudgeon. Needs to be suspended and fined for sure. I'm not a cancel guy. If he does it again though he's cancelled himself.

We've become a society that's intent on destroying people who make stupid mistakes. A sincere apology should be accepted for the first offense. "A mistake repeated more than once is a decision", and should be treated aggressively.

A society that can't forgive, is a society that has lost its way.

Huggins is a dick, but he's still human. Let's move on.

We've become a society that's intent on destroying people who make stupid mistakes. A sincere apology should be accepted for the first offense. "A mistake repeated more than once is a decision", and should be treated aggressively.

A society that can't forgive, is a society that has lost its way.

Huggins is a dick, but he's still human. Let's move on.
You’re suspended…. Called him a dick!! OMG!

Huggins will be suspended and have his salary reduced to 1 Mil.

These are the times we live in now.

Personally $1m reduction in pay sounds absolutely insane and way beyond adequate punishment.

Make him donate to an LBGT cause and take some classes or something

Bob Huggins keeping West Virginia job, salary getting slashed by $1M after ‘Catholic f–s’ radio controversy​

By Justin Tasch

Bob Huggins and West Virginia University have reached an agreement for the 69-year-old to remain as the school’s men’s basketball coach next season on a reduced salary after he uttered an anti-gay slur on a radio show this week.

Huggins is signing a reworked contract on Wednesday that will slash his salary from $4.2 million to $3.2 million and he will be suspended for the first three games of the season.

The school also announced that “any incidents of similar derogatory and offensive language will result in immediate termination,” and Huggins’ contract is now a year-to-year agreement running through April 30, 2024.

The restructured deal comes two days after he referred to Xavier fans as “Catholic f–s” during an interview with Bill Cunningham on WLW in Cincinnati.

The longtime coach, who has been at West Virginia since 2007, met with school president E. Gordon Gee on Tuesday, and the university’s board of trustees were involved in the decision to retain Huggins on a restructured deal, per ESPN.

During the interview, Huggins referenced “rubber penises” that were thrown on the court during a game between Xavier and crosstown rival Cincinnati, where Huggins coached from 1989-2005.

“No, what it was was all those f–s, those Catholic f–s,” Huggins said. “They were envious they didn’t have one.”

Huggins issued a statement through West Virginia on Monday after audio of his interview, captured by Awful Announcing, began spreading, and put out another statement on Wednesday.

Warning: graphic language

“I deeply regret my actions, the hurt they unfairly caused others and the negative attention my words have brought to West Virginia University,” Huggins said. “I also regret the embarrassment and disappointment it has caused our athletics family, members of our campus community and the state of West Virginia.”

Huggins has a 345-203 record in 16 seasons at West Virginia.

What surprises me most is how anyone can make a statement like that on a radio show and not comprehend the consequences.
Huggins is going to be 70 years old this year. He has a history of making bad decisions especially when alcohol‘s involved. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was drinking before he went on the show.

OK.... Huggins was wrong for what he said... disparaged Catholics and gays in one fell swoop BUT what was up with X students reportedly tossing rubber penises on the court??? If that happened that was weird indeed.
That is odd, anybody have any insight, just for curiosity sake? Sadly many of us remember when students were throwing oranges and a bananas on the court when Patrick E was playing. One of the best ever to come out of the Big E

Who cares he used the word fag. We called people fags all the time growing up. Grow a set already. What happened to the saying sticks and stones? 🤡 world we live in.

20 years ago everyone got called that and homo in a Fortune 100 company I use to work for so I am not bothered by Huggy saying.

This is still funny today

• Love

Podcaster Josh Neighbors: I was fired for airing Bob Huggins’ ‘Catholic f–s’ comments uncensored​

By Joseph Staszewski

A podcaster covering the Big 12 is paying the price for his handling of West Virginia coach Bob Huggins’ use of an anti-gay slur on a Cincinnati radio show.

Huggins referred to Xavier fans as “Catholic f–s” during an interview with Bill Cunningham on WLW in Cincinnati on Monday.

Josh Neighbors, the host of the “Locked On Big 12” podcast, said he chose to air Huggins’ comments uncensored during an instant reaction version of his show and announced Wednesday night on Twitter that the decision cost him his job.

“I made the conscious decision to play Bob Huggins’ comments in their entirety and without censoring the slurs that he used,” Neighbors said in the video. “I did that because I thought it was important to play and get the full context of what he had said. I followed that up by saying I thought what he said was abhorrent. I thought it was hateful and also that if I was the AD I would have fired him and I would not want somebody like that espousing those views coaching my team.”

Neighbors has been with the network founded by Utah Jazz radio voice David Locke since January 2020 and produced more than 600 episodes for it — but said the company chose not to budge on it “zero-tolerance policy” for hate speech.

Though Neighbors said he may disagree with the decision, he understands the company’s right to make it.

“The folks at Locked On felt differently,” he said. “They felt because I willingly was posting hate speech, which I did. … I was obviously not using the hate speech, I was trying to combat it and say it’s terrible and awful and should not happen. To play it and give the full context to give the folks a chance to hear it all, I did make the choice to play that.”

Neighbors, who also hosts the company’s Nationals show, said he did get to talk to Locke briefly on Wednesday — but not other decision-makers — to try to make his case, but according to him, the decision to remove him as the host already had been made.

He went on to thank the network for the opportunity it had given him and said he hoped to continue to cover the Big 12 in some capacity in the future.

“It was a very difficult conversation,” Neighbors said. “I understand they have their rules. I might disagree with them, but there is a zero-tolerance policy on hate speech whether you are decrying it or using it. That is their prerogative.”

Huggins on the other hand was allowed to keep his job as the Mountaineers basketball coach, but did face other consequences.

The 69-year-old Hall of Famer’s salary was slashed from $4.2 million to $3.2 million, and he will be suspended for the first three games of the season and attend sensitivity training.

The school also announced that “any incidents of similar derogatory and offensive language will result in immediate termination,” and Huggins’ contract is now a year-to-year agreement.

Reactions: chickenbox
The guys interviewing Huggins on this podcast yucked it up with him and acted like it was all hilarious. I hate to see anybody lose their job but this guy is not a sympathetic figure to me in the least.

Reactions: SHU97
The guys interviewing Huggins on this podcast yucked it up with him and acted like it was all hilarious. I hate to see anybody lose their job but this guy is not a sympathetic figure to me in the least.
Huggins' interview was on a terrestrial radio station WLW (your home for Xavier basketball by the way) and Bill Cunningham, the show host, is a notorious blowhard. Huggins should absolutely have known what he was saying but Cunningham's "transgender night" comment, was the set-up.

The podcaster referenced in the post above was someone unaffiliated with the original broadcast. He was fired because he played the uncensored version of Huggins' comments on that podcast.

Reactions: chickenbox
Who cares he used the word fag. We called people fags all the time growing up. Grow a set already. What happened to the saying sticks and stones? 🤡 world we live in.
It's weird because the so-called LGBTQ movement calls a segment of it's population "queer," which in my opinion is much worse than fag and carries with it a connotation of self-hatred when it's used to self-describe.

OK.... Huggins was wrong for what he said... disparaged Catholics and gays in one fell swoop BUT what was up with X students reportedly tossing rubber penises on the court??? If that happened that was weird indeed.
Yeah that was really strange and frames the context of what Huggins was talking about in a lighthearted, albeit inappropriate, way. Xavier's players and fans have exhibited some really bad behavior in the past. But wow. What a disgusting day in Xavier history.

I like Carino but he should learn the adage of don’t throw stones in a glass house with that post criticizing WVA for their response to this.

I like Carino but he should learn the adage of don’t throw stones in a glass house with that post criticizing WVA for their response to this.

Jerry is playing the political angle here, as did Dana O'Neill in the Athletic and Parrish at CBS. "Hate speech" is a buzz phrase and a line of attack for those of a certain political stripe who happen to overwhelmingly earn their living in the media profession.

Words and phrases, however distasteful, that have been used for centuries in the human race are all of a sudden considered violent "hate speech" in an effort to restrict freedom of speech and divide people. Social media only makes it worse as it amplifies these voices to those who can't think for themselves and just toe the line.

In my opinion, it's not a word that should be used. It is derogatory. But that doesn't mean someone should be docked a million dollars and forced to put out these politically correct statements and apologies to appease political activists. People should spend more time worrying about destructive and violent actions that harm people rather than a few words that might be distasteful or hurt their feelings.

Last edited:
Huggins' interview was on a terrestrial radio station WLW (your home for Xavier basketball by the way) and Bill Cunningham, the show host, is a notorious blowhard. Huggins should absolutely have known what he was saying but Cunningham's "transgender night" comment, was the set-up.

The podcaster referenced in the post above was someone unaffiliated with the original broadcast. He was fired because he played the uncensored version of Huggins' comments on that podcast.
thanks for the explanation...all 3 are fools

Jerry is playing the political angle here, as did Dana O'Neill in the Athletic and Parrish at CBS. "Hate speech" is a buzz phrase and a line of attack for those of a certain political stripe who happen to overwhelmingly earn their living in the media profession.

Words and phrases, however distasteful, that have been used for centuries in the human race are all of a sudden considered violent "hate speech" in an effort to restrict freedom of speech and divide people. Social media only makes it worse as it amplifies these voices to those who can't think for themselves and just toe the line.

In my opinion, it's not a word that should be used. It is derogatory. But that doesn't mean someone should be docked a million dollars and forced to put out these politically correct statements and apologies to appease political activists. People should spend more time worrying about destructive and violent actions that harm people rather than a few words that might be distasteful or hurt their feelings.
Very well said!

Reactions: Belluno
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT