ADVERTISEMENT

Three Point Differential

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Amazing this team is 18-9, 11-5 and likely an NCAA Tournament team with this natural disparity from 3 in this day and age. We've sat through many games like last night this season where we're clearly outplaying a team but the arc undermines us. Other games it's burnt us.

Through 27 games SHU is 150/475 from 3 compared to 225/671 for the opponents. We've been outscored by 225 points in 27 games, that's more than 8 per game. In BE games, it's almost exactly the same, 88/272 to 132/406 over 16 games, just over -8 point differential per game.

Overall as a team The Hall is 326th in 3PA:FGA, 338th in point % from 3 (opponents are 27th), and 285th in 3PT shooting %. And then when you realize what Dawes does alone, it's remarkable.

Amazing this team is 18-9, 11-5 and likely an NCAA Tournament team with this natural disparity from 3 in this day and age. We've sat through many games like last night this season where we're clearly outplaying a team but the arc undermines us. Other games it's burnt us.

Through 27 games SHU is 150/475 from 3 compared to 225/671 for the opponents. We've been outscored by 225 points in 27 games, that's more than 8 per game. In BE games, it's almost exactly the same, 88/272 to 132/406 over 16 games, just over -8 point differential per game.

Overall as a team The Hall is 326th in 3PA:FGA, 338th in point % from 3 (opponents are 27th), and 285th in 3PT shooting %. And then when you realize what Dawes does alone, it's remarkable.
I actually like that they got burnt from three. Creighton is much better and they are going to have to be on their A game, this was a good warmup Hopefully it gets them ready and they can it it rolling.

#justkeepwinnibg

Last edited:
Imagine if we had 2 more consistent shooters.
Top 10 team
Dare to dream. Sha's built a crafty, tough team and the only thing missing is that floor spacing shooter. It's also caps our metrics in terms of-court possibilities. The 3 makes the game easier, gives a team firepower.

The only player who is well below their career norm is Addae-Wusu. Dawes has brought us numbers up well after the abyssmal non-conference (.402 in BE). If Addae-Wusu could ever get hot for a few weeks, now would be the time. He's 26/94 (.277). Compare that to 43/118 (.364) and 37/97 (.381) his previous two seasons at St. John's.

I posted the other day that the only way the Pirates would lose last night would be from the arc.

SHU wired to wired Butler but because of the arc the game was in doubt until the last few minutes. We badly need shooters next season because we could lose most if not all of our starters.

We closed them out too. I bet Butler shot 55% or so in the mid 20 minutes span. After a bad shooting start Butler got a lot of open 3s and they hit them.

Reactions: Fishjam
We closed them out too. I bet Butler shot 55% or so in the mid 20 minutes span. After a bad shooting start Butler got a lot of open 3s and they hit them.
For a span they were hitting everything. There were plenty of shots that were contested on close outs but they were unconscious.

Reactions: LBP43
I actually like that they got burnt from three. Creighton is much better and they are going to have to be in their A game, his was a good warmup Hopefully it gets them ready and they can it it rolling.

#justkeepwinnibg
Same deal in the 3OT loss when Creighton outscored us by 24 from the arc. Plus they hit 4-5 in a row in the second half after we had built a decisive lead, similar to last night and countless others.

Creighton = 13/36
Seton Hall = 5/14

It’s just a tough way to have to play. We’re doing it well but it’s a glaring weakness and rare to overcome this level of disparity; speaks to the team’s ability.

I hope Sha can recruit a couple three point shooters in the portal.Dawes is moving on and Wusu/Sanders aren't the answer.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I posted the other day that the only way the Pirates would lose last night would be from the arc.

SHU wired to wired Butler but because of the arc the game was in doubt until the last few minutes. We badly need shooters next season because we could lose most if not all of our starters.
Against Creighton and UConn on the road this three point differential will likely be our downfall.These could be 12-20 point losses.Don't see them as close games unfortunately.

I agree, but next season is next season. We will need a lot of transfer in talent. It's not unusual for this team to give up around 9 or 10 three pointers on any given night. The way we clog the paint and have our centers hedging allows the wings to be open. A very patient and good passing team is going to exploit that. The defense actually got much better in that last 10 minutes.

Reactions: chickenbox
Dare to dream. Sha's built a crafty, tough team and the only thing missing is that floor spacing shooter. It's also caps our metrics in terms of-court possibilities. The 3 makes the game easier, gives a team firepower.

The only player who is well below their career norm is Addae-Wusu. Dawes has brought us numbers up well after the abyssmal non-conference (.402 in BE). If Addae-Wusu could ever get hot for a few weeks, now would be the time. He's 26/94 (.277). Compare that to 43/118 (.364) and 37/97 (.381) his previous two seasons at St. John's.
I totally believe in the law of averages and fully expect Wusu will catch fire when it matters most. Personally feel getting 2 under the basket is a higher percentage shot, and definitely leads to more consistent level of play overall. Living and dying by the 3 IMHO does not suit tournament play. One bad shooting game and you are done. I like our balance right now, of course we have Richmond who wears teams out and humiliates opposing players under the basket. Hard to be confident shooting 3’s when a guy like Richmond is embarrassing you underneath your basket. We are playing in your face basketball right now with a smile on our face. Our guys are delivering beat downs and being pretty humble along the way.

Against Creighton and UConn on the road this three point differential will likely be our downfall.These could be 12-20 point losses.Don't see them as close games unfortunately.
I think otherwise but what do I know. For the very reason we discussed above I think we have a decent shot. Creighton lives by the 3, they start off cold and fall behind while we live in and around the basket we could keep this close and have a shot to do exactly what they did to us in January.

I think otherwise but what do I know. For the very reason we discussed above I think we have a decent shot. Creighton lives by the 3, they start off cold and fall behind while we live in and around the basket we could keep this close and have a shot to do exactly what they did to us in January.
I hope your right but they have a guy called Kalkbrenner who can do a pretty good job of disrupting any opponents inside game.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Same deal in the 3OT loss when Creighton outscored us by 24 from the arc. Plus they hit 4-5 in a row in the second half after we had built a decisive lead, similar to last night and countless others.

Creighton = 13/36
Seton Hall = 5/14

It’s just a tough way to have to play. We’re doing it well but it’s a glaring weakness and rare to overcome this level of disparity; speaks to the team’s ability.
Uggh. A bunch of huge tough shots and they hit them all

Unfortunately, CU has Kalkbrenner to erase our at the rim game.

Creighton only shot 6/26 in the loss to St. John’s. 🙄

Wusu appears to be rushing his shot. His form, even on free throws, is definitely off. Hopefully it can be corrected soon. But to his credit, he doesn't let that impact the rest of his game.

Wusu appears to be rushing his shot. His form, even on free throws, is definitely off. Hopefully it can be corrected soon. But to his credit, he doesn't let that impact the rest of his game.
His right arm had a bulky wrap. Sha mentioned in post game that Wusu's arm limited him this past week as did Dre's ankle.

We are due for Wusu to get hot. His career 3 pt numbers are better than he has shown this year. Hopefully, timing is everything.

I'm surprised we shoot the three as well as we do relative to our opponents.

Overall we're at 31.6% and they're at 33.5%. In BE play we're 32.3% while the opponents are at 32.5%.

His right arm had a bulky wrap. Sha mentioned in post game that Wusu's arm limited him this past week as did Dre's ankle.

We are due for Wusu to get hot. His career 3 pt numbers are better than he has shown this year. Hopefully, timing is everything.
Did not realize he had an injury but that explains alot. Hope he heals soon but should hold off on taking any 3's until he does.

Reactions: PirateFan94
I hope Sha can recruit a couple three point shooters in the portal.Dawes is moving on and Wusu/Sanders aren't the answer.
I agree but to say sanders isn’t the answer is tough to judge when he gets under 10 minutes a game.

appears to be rushing his shot. His form, even on free throws, is definitely off. Hopefully it can be corrected soon. But to his credit, he doesn't let that impact the rest of his game.
He was awful most if the game but came through at the end of the game.

I'm surprised we shoot the three as well as we do relative to our opponents.

Overall we're at 31.6% and they're at 33.5%. In BE play we're 32.3% while the opponents are at 32.5%.
Think that is why the phrase "who'da thunk it" was invented. Shocked. If this was pre smart phone days, you could make some money telling some hoops know it all in a bar those stats.

• Haha
Reactions: TheHall87
The lineup isnt changing and Sanders has lost confidence in his shot. He is missing badly. Sha wants the toughness. And my second guessing of Sha this year looks foolish in retrospect.

Reactions: Section112
Just amazing scheirman and Ashworth 1-10 from 3 vs st john's so far..... I mean why are they human against everyone else but us??
It goes both ways though. Pierre Brooks from Butler is a 40% three-point shooter, but goes 2 – 10 against us.

Would love to know the 3PT% against Richmond's closeouts. It seems pretty close to 0%.

Last night was the season’s worst in this trouble area: 13/32 to 2/9, OMG. 39-6. 😱
We only have three scorers on this team i.e. KR,Dre and Dawes.Not enough offensive firepower to beat most good teams.

3 scorers and only 2 of them will take and make 3 point shots. Only 2 that are outside scoring threats. That is the real weakness. Replace Dylan with a legit outside scorer and the results would possibly be better in the games we lost. Dylan and KR are not outside shooters and their game is basically the same which is drive to the basket. That is a problem when there is a decent low post presence and there is no outside shooting to compensate.

In the game where we competed against Creighton and took them into 3 OTs we were taking and making 3 pointers. Matching them at their game. But that is NOT the SHU mentality nor the ability of the players.

Question: Maybe we did play some zone last night, not sure??? Our centers looked to be out of position so much in that game. They made 13 threes as it was with the backup center hitting three. Should Sha scrap that defensive game plan against Creighton moving forward?

Our centers are always being caught far away from the basket and it has been a problem all year long. Something that is very fixable but has not been. In the upcoming UConn game watch closely what happens when Bediako leave the low post. We have no big forward to help out down low. Davis while very good is still only 6'6" and he can't stop a 7 footer from scoring down low.

Our centers are always being caught far away from the basket and it has been a problem all year long. Something that is very fixable but has not been. In the upcoming UConn game watch closely what happens when Bediako leave the low post. We have no big forward to help out down low. Davis while very good is still only 6'6" and he can't stop a 7 footer from scoring down low.
This is true. Our 3 pt shooting is weak and 2 starters are shooting well under past percentages. We have only two subs we can count on. We could be more careful with the ball. All of these things, and others we are forgetting are why they picked us 9.

But Sha and the team werent having that. Lets finish strong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT