ADVERTISEMENT

Thunder eyeing UConn coach Kevin Ollie

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Most at SHU believe that Sterling Gibbs will stay at the Hall for his graduate season. Those that do not believe that think UConn and Notre Dame are strong possibilities.

By Elliott Smith | Staff Writer - CBS
April 20, 2015 3:52 pm ET

Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie is being "seriously considered" to replace Scott Brooks as coach of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder, according to a report from SNY.tv's Adam Zagoria.

Ollie, who led the Huskies to the NCAA championship in 2014 is a longtime NBA player who was a teammate of both Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant with the Thunder and remains on good terms with GM Sam Presti.

Those relationships are thought to be key for Ollie's case, as he could perhaps sway Durant, a free agent after next season, to remain with the Thunder. Yahoo! Sports reported last week that Brooks' performance is being evaluated before the team commits to the coach for next season.

The Thunder missed the playoffs for the first time in six years, falling a tiebreaker short of the Pelicans for the Western Conference's No. 8 seed.

BTW, this has been widely reported by ESPN and Fox for at least a week or more.

I think Ollie would be nuts not to take this job if offered; especially if they are able to keep Durant and Westbrook there (which will probably not be easy).

Then the question would become; who would be on UConn's short list? They were a top 10 program during the Calhoun years, but I wonder how attractive the job is given their current conference affiliation. Big thing going for them is that resources will never be in question with the facilities that are in place up in Storrs.

maybe Danny Hurley? Given that Ollie had no HC experience, it wouldn't be a stretch to get Danny.

They should definitely go after a Northeast guy if it were to open up.

I know a coach who could be made available, and then we could have Sterling stay!

I'm sure UConn would make a push for Jay Wright, but I'd be doubtful that he would leave Nova unless a job like Kentucky, Duke,or maybe ND opened up. Nova may have found themselves a lifer with Wright.

Any chance the Thunder front office has a Rick Pitino connection? He may be able to recommend the greatest x's and o's assistant he's ever had.

They canned PJ to hire Brooks, if they hire Willard they can make a Scott Brooks sandwich with the greatest SHU coach ever and the greatest clapper of all SHU coaches.

Any chance the Thunder front office has a Rick Pitino connection? He may be able to recommend the greatest x's and o's assistant he's ever had.

They canned PJ to hire Brooks, if they hire Willard they can make a Scott Brooks sandwich with the greatest SHU coach ever and the greatest clapper of all SHU coaches.

love it. hammer it home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT