ADVERTISEMENT

To schedule or not to schedule

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
In another thread yesterday there was a partial discussion about whether SHU should schedule teams like UConn or Syracuse.

I'll open up that discussion on a new thread where it can be the sole focus.

As a SHU fan would you want Syracuse or Connecticut on your schedule?

Our schedule has been extremely weak especially for season ticket holders. This year is def an upgrade but still needs more. I'm in favor of 2-1 with top 25 teams but hate the thought of home & home against Iona, Manhattans, Lasalles. So absolutely!

Yes, I absolutely would want them on the schedule. The out of conference schedule has been a disaster since the Orr regime.

Yes but only if it's a true home and home not we play two games at their court and one at ours.

I would definitely play either as long as they were willing to play at least one game at SHU, would even consider a 2 away for 1 home series. Probably at this point even take a lone away game, with some type of possible agreement for future game(s).

I'd definitely play either, but I don't think there's a snowball chance in hell we'd get a straight home and home. A 2 for 1 would seem more likely.

Of course I would schedule them. The BE has existential issues to worry about, not hurt feelings. I would schedule a one off game at the Carrier Dome for the money. Or at any other arena that has panache. If I were some great player, I would see it as very cool that one of my schools played at Kansas last year and is scheduled for the Dean Dome this year.

I don't see why anyone would say to not schedule them. The real question is would Syracuse or UConn want to schedule Seton Hall? The answer is likely no.

The above statement is very true. Lyons would say yes is a heartbeat if either school wanted to play a home and home. Syracuse in particular sells out any arena in the northeast and mid Atlantic which is why nova, sju and gtown put them on the schedule.
Personally i wish the BE schools didn't schedule cuse because it helps their program and recruiting to play games in NY, philly and Washington. I would be much happier if the closest game Cuse played to nyc and NJ was at the carrier dome.

The above statement is very true. Lyons would say yes is a heartbeat if either school wanted to play a home and home. Syracuse in particular sells out any arena in the northeast and mid Atlantic which is why nova, sju and gtown put them on the schedule.
Personally i wish the BE schools didn't schedule cuse because it helps their program and recruiting to play games in NY, philly and Washington. I would be much happier if the closest game Cuse played to nyc and NJ was at the carrier dome.

Recruiting-wise, it is the same benefit for UCONN. I wouldn't schedule either. They left---I understand that, but I'd oppose each returning to the NYC area. I think there would be a better chance of a straight home and home with UCONN as they are in such a pathetic conference.

UConn and Cuse can get a game in MSG or Barclays with or w/o us. They are here; they have such a larger local presence than us. It is just silly to think playing us is such a strategic advantage for either of them. They have the ears of the kids. We are the ones on the outside, like it or not.

Reactions: Pirate6711
UConn and Cuse can get a game in MSG or Barclays with or w/o us. They are here; they have such a larger local presence than us. It is just silly to think playing us is such a strategic advantage for either of them. They have the ears of the kids. We are the ones on the outside, like it or not.

Exactly, these schools do not need SHU, SJU or any other school to play in NYC, Philly, DC or Tim Buk Tu, they could schedule game at MSG, Barclays or even Pru Center and play anyone they want. These venues will have no problem committing to a game that will probably be a sell out. How many years did Duke play at Izod? I believe they played Gonzaga, Butler, Temple and UCONN (last season) at least over the years. Some years they have played multiple games at MSG in a season, none of which were against SJU.

So, I would prefer to play ball and get a good game, then let them schedule to play someone else in the area.

I agree. Would love to play these schools. Both are powerhouse programs but the question should be whether or not they would want to play us. I think we are not even on their radar. Maybe as a last resort. We all love our program but to be realistic at this poing we are just an average program at best. Also saw some of the recruiting by a few other schools in our league and really worried. I say a little thanks to Richie Regan everyday because without him we would not have been in the Big East. Think of it . the school didn't show much interest and our AD had to borrow 25 000 to get us in and that was only because Rutgers and Holy Cross declined. We have to expand Look at the schools and what a great basketball and football conference it could have ben even without the CATHOLIC 7. ADD in the 7 and wow . MIAMI. VIRGINIA TECH BOSTON COLLEGE LOUISVILLE CINCINNATI SYRACUSE PITTSBURG WEST VIRGINIA RUTGERS SOUTH FLORIDA AND I THINK I MISSING ONE MORE. PUT THEN if a PENN STATE was added in 1991 Thanks to SJU they were not and Mike Trangese called this the biggest mistake the BE ever made. Could have had a 12 team football league a power 6 conference and then with the adition of Catholic 7 and even Notre dame a 20 team Powerhouse. But that's just dreaming of what could have benn and sorry to get off topic but stll bothers many of us.

I agree. Would love to play these schools. Both are powerhouse programs but the question should be whether or not they would want to play us. I think we are not even on their radar. Maybe as a last resort. We all love our program but to be realistic at this poing we are just an average program at best. Also saw some of the recruiting by a few other schools in our league and really worried. I say a little thanks to Richie Regan everyday because without him we would not have been in the Big East. Think of it . the school didn't show much interest and our AD had to borrow 25 000 to get us in and that was only because Rutgers and Holy Cross declined. We have to expand Look at the schools and what a great basketball and football conference it could have ben even without the CATHOLIC 7. ADD in the 7 and wow . MIAMI. VIRGINIA TECH BOSTON COLLEGE LOUISVILLE CINCINNATI SYRACUSE PITTSBURG WEST VIRGINIA RUTGERS SOUTH FLORIDA AND I THINK I MISSING ONE MORE. PUT THEN if a PENN STATE was added in 1991 Thanks to SJU they were not and Mike Trangese called this the biggest mistake the BE ever made. Could have had a 12 team football league a power 6 conference and then with the adition of Catholic 7 and even Notre dame a 20 team Powerhouse. But that's just dreaming of what could have benn and sorry to get off topic but stll bothers many of us.
I always thought we wanted Penn St but they were holding out for an al sports conference (the reason Gruniner turned down the BE), and we got Pitt then Miami to do an end around PSU. And I thought the critical SJU vote was when we added RU and Va Tech and whoever else came with them. We (the bb onlies) all voted no but SJU voted yes.

I always thought we wanted Penn St but they were holding out for an al sports conference (the reason Gruniner turned down the BE), and we got Pitt then Miami to do an end around PSU. And I thought the critical SJU vote was when we added RU and Va Tech and whoever else came with them. We (the bb onlies) all voted no but SJU voted yes.

Even if we did play UCONN or Syracuse, it wouldn't be on a regular basis, In the meantime, I would love to play Iona, Manhattan, LaSalle, and Fairfield every year in our OOC schedule, even if it was a 2 for 1 arrangement: Fordham, too. We played Iona in White Plains during the '88-'89 season, then again during the Danny Hurley/Bryan Caver years. Each would be a significant improvement over NJIT, FDU, St. Francis, and St. Peter's.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
Even if we did play UCONN or Syracuse, it wouldn't be on a regular basis, In the meantime, I would love to play Iona, Manhattan, LaSalle, and Fairfield every year in our OOC schedule, even if it was a 2 for 1 arrangement: Fordham, too. We played Iona in White Plains during the '88-'89 season, then again during the Danny Hurley/Bryan Caver years. Each would be a significant improvement over NJIT, FDU, St. Francis, and St. Peter's.
I agree.

Play the best teams you can anytime you can.

But right now our program is not a top 100. So let's play the strong locals and see how we do. As we know, there are no guaranteed wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT