ADVERTISEMENT

Tweets week of June 22

Seton Hall Cheer ‏@SetonHallCheer 20h20 hours ago

Happy Father's Day to all the Pirate dads out there!
1f60a.png

Thomas Chen ‏@thomasmchen 22h22 hours ago

Thomas Chen retweeted Bobby Mullen

1 of NJ's finest is coming home and we're excited he's joining the Pirate family.

Thomas Chen added,

Bobby Mullen @bmull74
Starting in mid-July I'll be heading (towards) home for a position at Seton Hall. Very excited to get going with @thomasmchen and company.

Pirate Blue ‏@pirateblue 24h24 hours ago

Pirate Blue retweeted SI Vault

Hall of Famer and @SetonHallMBB great Ramon Ramos!

Pirate Blue added,

CIMk36mUwAES7US.jpg

SI Vault @si_vault
Sherman Douglas and Ramon Ramos battle for a rebound during a 1989 Syracuse-Seton Hall game:
Pirate Blue ‏@pirateblue 24h24 hours ago

Pirate Blue retweeted SI Vault

Hall of Famer and @SetonHallMBB great Ramon Ramos!

Pirate Blue added,

CIMk36mUwAES7US.jpg

SI Vault @si_vault
Sherman Douglas and Ramon Ramos battle for a rebound during a 1989 Syracuse-Seton Hall game:
Ramon will always be rising mid key, and shooting a banker from straightaway at a critical time of the game. The three NYC kids were all highly touted. Ramon, who knew? But the improvement every one showed over their career was staggering.

Just thank our lucky stars Louie didn't want John Morton. Can't for the love of me wonder what the heck he was thinking.

You had to be blind not to see what a star John was going to be.

Mudiay? Winslow? Trade down? Knicks, Phil Jackson on the clock

By Marc Berman

June 24, 2015 | 10:36pm

knicks-5.jpg

Clockwise from top-left: Justise Winslow, Emmanuel Mudiay, Phil Jackson, Trey Lyles, Eric Bledsoe Photo: AP; Charles Wenzelberg; Anthony J. Causi, Getty Images; NBAE via Getty Images

Phil Jackson will be on the clock Thursday night but may be picking for another team at No. 4 as the Knicks explore trade scenarios big and small. If 19-year-old Latvian project Kristaps Porzingis’ name is called with the fourth pick, it may not be for Jackson to keep.

“We’re still listening to opportunities that might come our way and drafts sometimes do that — give you potential that you just can’t walk away from,” Jackson said Wednesday night on MSG Network. “You have to be open and ready for that. And we’re dealing with that and the information that’s coming out. … They [offers] have been enough to mostly say ‘Hmm that’s nice and what else?’ then move on. But we’re still open.”

The Knicks have six trade exceptions ranging from $1.7 million to $6 million to inherit a veteran in a small swap and stay in the draft’s top 10. That sort of deal is permitted to be officially completed Thursday night.

But if Jackson wants to make a giant splash, the Knicks could engage the Suns in a pick swap for explosive combo guard Eric Bledsoe, who reportedly was being shopped and who makes $13.5 million next season. The Suns select at No. 13. Sporting News reported Phoenix had a preliminary discussion with the Knicks.

“The Knicks have something going on,’’ one NBA executive said, but added he wasn’t sure if it was related to Bledsoe.

Kentucky’s 6-foot-10 forward Trey Lyles has been pegged to go to the Suns at 13 in mock drafts. Kentucky coach John Calipari said last week Jackson came away from a Kentucky practice saying Lyles was a good triangle fit. Bledsoe and Lyles have the same agent — Rich Paul, who also represents LeBron James. Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky also may be available at 13.

After falling to fourth in the lottery, the Knicks had hoped to grab Ohio State point guard D’Angelo Russell. But sources have indicated since last week Russell is not sliding past the Sixers at No. 3. Hence, the dilemma on how the Knicks maximize the highest draft pick they have had since winning the Patrick Ewing lottery in 1985.

dangelo1.jpg

D’Angelo RussellPhoto: Getty Images

Jackson also said Wednesday the Knicks have narrowed it down to three players if they stay at No. 4. (To show how all over the map things stand, the most credible mock draft, DraftExpress, changed late Wednesday night, projecting the Knicks will take 6-6 swingman Mario Hezonja of Croatia, who is playing in the Euro league finals.)

“We had our crack scouting and staff of guys put together a list [and] we had varied opinions,” Jackson said. “I think there were about six guys for our particular pick chosen by them and we’ve narrowed it down to three. So we’re pretty content we have a good idea of what’s coming our way and what will be good.”

The Knicks are looking to build around Carmelo Anthony and want players who can contribute next season. That’s why the skinny 7-1 sharpshooting Porzingis doesn’t seem a good fit as he may be two years away from making a meaningful contribution. But his recent stock rise has increased the value of the Knicks’ pick as some teams would trade up for him.

If the Knicks stay at No. 4, strongly built 6-5 point guard Emmanuel Mudiay, the kind of terrific penetrator Jackson feels the club needs, is a good fit with the highest upside aside from Porzingis. But Mudiay is also 19 years old, got hurt in China and whoever drafts him may have to be patient with him. General manager Steve Mills said recently Mudiay “is in the mix’’.

Meanwhile, Porzingis looked toothpick-thin Wednesday. He confirmed he couldn’t finish his Knicks workout Monday because of a painful cramp in his “quad,’’ but said he enjoyed meeting Jackson for the first time. “It’s my dream to play for the Knicks,” Porzingis said in his first U.S. press conference Wednesday.

Mudiay could be an ideal complement to fellow point guard Jose Calderon in a two-pronged backcourt. Calderon is an excellent outside shooter but poor driver while Mudiay’s weakness is his perimeter game. Duke swingman Justise Winslow has all the intangibles Derek Fisher loves but not a defined NBA position.

Mudiay deflected any criticism of his jumper.

“I have no idea where that comes from,’’ he said. “I can be more consistent at it. I’ve been a driver my whole life. If they stop me from driving, I’ll start shooting.’’

The trouble with the explosive Bledsoe (17.0 points, 6.1 assists last season) is he’s turnover-prone and some scouts think he has a low basketball IQ and wouldn’t pick up the triangle.

Bledsoe will be in the second year of a five-year, $70 million pact and the Suns may be in strip-down mode. For that to make sense for the Knicks and not blow a lot of their cap space, they likely would want to send back to Phoenix the two years and $15 million left on Calderon’s contract. That transaction would still leave Jackson with about $22 million in cap space after signing the 13th overall pick. Such a deal couldn’t be consummated until July when the contracts of several Knicks officially expire.

When asked about the dilemma of losing cap space in a trade-down deal, Jackson said Tuesday: “That has to be a consideration on how imminent and prominent the player fits in. If it fills in a spot, we’d have that covered before free agency anyway.’’

The Knicks also have some interest in Denver’s 21-year-old rugged center Jusuf Nurkic in a trade down to No. 7, but nothing is in the works, according to a source.

First-round prediction: Emmanuel Mudiay, PG

With D’Angelo Russell already gone, it’s Mudiay — the solidly built penetrator Phil Jackson wants — if the Knicks keep the pick. It’s very possible the Knicks trade down for Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky or one of Kentucky’s big men, Willie Cauley-Stein or Trey Lyles. And it’s still a long shot they turn the draft on its ear and do a swap for Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe.

Big East Coast Bias ‏@becb_sbn 17h17 hours ago

It's not great for the league that St. John's and DePaul will be irrelevant this season. Chicago/NY markets are huge.

Dan
While you're right about both St.John's and DePaul being irrelevant this season not being good for the BE or Fox the positive is that both are totally committed to returning to national prominence with hiring new coaches, top assistants and DePaul getting a new arena.

Dan
While you're right about both St.John's and DePaul being irrelevant this season not being good for the BE or Fox the positive is that both are totally committed to returning to national prominence with hiring new coaches, top assistants and DePaul getting a new arena.
Just an FYI that was not my comment. It was a pasted tweet.

But I do agree with that sentiment as well as yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT