ADVERTISEMENT

UConn looking to rekindle old Big East rivalries

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
But little interest with Seton Hall. This is obviously focused on recruiting.

Report: UConn looking to rekindle old Big East rivalries
Rob Dauster

Jun 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvindm5n2uzyjmynji0n2ezmtazogrmmgu4mddinwy3.jpeg

AP Photo

In 2014-15, for the first time in three decades, UConn’s men’s basketball team went an entire season without playing a single game in Madison Square Garden, the site of some of the program’s greatest moments.

But that will be the last time that happens in the near future if the Huskies have anything to say about it.

According to a report from the Hartford Courant, Kevin Ollie’s program is looking to schedule a three-year series with three of their former Big East rivals — Syracuse, Villanova and St. John’s — a home-and-home that will also include a third non-conference game in the Garden. MSG has long been considered a second-home for the program, as Husky fans routinely filled up the Garden during Big East tournaments that UConn was a part of.

When the Big East broke up, the programs went their separate ways. Syracuse is now a member of the ACC, Villanova and St. John’s are part of the new Big East and UConn, who is widely considered the biggest loser in conference realignment, was forced to remain behind with the Big East’s football schools in the American.

The Huskies won the 2014 National Title, beating the Wildcats in the Round of 32 that year. There is also a chance that UConn and Syracuse could square off this season, as both will be headed for te Bahamas to play in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Those schools should say yes. College basketball needs more compelling OOC games, not fewer. Harboring some kind of grudge is silly, especially since it's the Catholic Seven that bolted from the conference and not UConn. A lot of people have forgotten (or choose to ignore) how that went down.

Those schools should say yes. College basketball needs more compelling OOC games, not fewer. Harboring some kind of grudge is silly, especially since it's the Catholic Seven that bolted from the conference and not UConn. A lot of people have forgotten (or choose to ignore) how that went down.

I agree with alot of what you say on here, but it's pretty ballsy for you to say that and conveniently ignore UConn's actions during that same tumultuous period. They did NOTHING to try & keep things together. In fact, they have been one of the most publically vocal schools to voice how desperate they were (and are) to bolt whatever conference they were (and are) in to go to a Power 5. I agree that no one is going to blackball them from MSG games, but to make it like they are the victim is nonsense. They've been as bad an actor in all aspects as a school could be since their rise in prominence. F 'em.

Reactions: SPK145 and shu09
If I were either a UConn or a Cuse fan, I would be wanting that MSG venue to rekindle the BET good old days. Would be a smart move by both programs to get a game like that at MSG.

Notice that we never make anyone's dance card? Cuse had no interest and neither does Uconn. It's a sad commentary on the program's long slide. Our position is a multi-generational problem.

Notice that we never make anyone's dance card? Cuse had no interest and neither does Uconn. It's a sad commentary on the program's long slide. Our position is a multi-generational problem.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. As a SHU fan, I'd love a game at MSG against either team. But playing a bottom-third Big East team does nothing for the non-conference schedule of either team.

The Hall is a mediocre program at best (and it's been awhile since that can even be said). What is the upside for an upper tier team playing The Hall? A win is supposed to happen, a loss with as bad as the program has been can be a resume killer at NCAA time (not for Cuse and UConn typically) but for a top program who might find themselves on the bubble every now and again.

I don't hold a grudge and think they should play, but UConn would have thrown everyone under the bus had ANY conference wanted them, so they are not owed any apology thats for sure...

We should all be thankful that FOX came along and threw a lifeline (and $) to the Catholic 7, or more specifically Nova, GTown and St John's with The Hall fortunate to even be included. Thankfully many of the non-mens basketball programs have taken steps forward the last couple years as Lord knows the mens team has done ZILCH to improve the New Big East.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Would you guys rather play a neutral site (MSG & Barclays) game against a top 25 team or a game at the rock against an average team from a power 5 conference

Me too. I would play at Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke twice with 1 game at MSG or Barclays but most people on here would prefer a game at the rock against temple

Would you guys rather play a neutral site (MSG & Barclays) game against a top 25 team or a game at the rock against an average team from a power 5 conference
Top 25 team at a neutral site if it's just one game. If it's a home and home deal then we play at the Rock, no neutral site for our home game. A three game series with a home and home and a third game at a neutral site is also good.

But little interest with Seton Hall. This is obviously focused on recruiting.

Report: UConn looking to rekindle old Big East rivalries
Rob Dauster

Jun 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvindm5n2uzyjmynji0n2ezmtazogrmmgu4mddinwy3.jpeg

AP Photo

In 2014-15, for the first time in three decades, UConn’s men’s basketball team went an entire season without playing a single game in Madison Square Garden, the site of some of the program’s greatest moments.

But that will be the last time that happens in the near future if the Huskies have anything to say about it.

According to a report from the Hartford Courant, Kevin Ollie’s program is looking to schedule a three-year series with three of their former Big East rivals — Syracuse, Villanova and St. John’s — a home-and-home that will also include a third non-conference game in the Garden. MSG has long been considered a second-home for the program, as Husky fans routinely filled up the Garden during Big East tournaments that UConn was a part of.

When the Big East broke up, the programs went their separate ways. Syracuse is now a member of the ACC, Villanova and St. John’s are part of the new Big East and UConn, who is widely considered the biggest loser in conference realignment, was forced to remain behind with the Big East’s football schools in the American.

The Huskies won the 2014 National Title, beating the Wildcats in the Round of 32 that year. There is also a chance that UConn and Syracuse could square off this season, as both will be headed for te Bahamas to play in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
UConn is looking to stay relevant and that's not happening in the second coming of Conference USA. They need the Big East, the Big East doesn't need them.

I thought the same thing.In the last 50 years our program has rarely been top or even middle-tier. Only PJ built something solid and that only lasted about 6 years. Probably won't happen again.

So you don't remember their begging into any conference that would have them even in the original jump of 3 to the ACC? Or maybe you just choose to ignore so you can disappear up your own asshole again?

I thought the same thing.In the last 50 years our program has rarely been top or even middle-tier. Only PJ built something solid and that only lasted about 6 years. Probably won't happen again.
Which would make you very happy I'm sure. God, please lose the attitude that we should be happy with whatever peanuts we get and that we should never be considered among the best of the best!

I really believe that even after all the BS UCONN pulled and how they wanted to desperately get into the ACC that we should have a home and home.

It would be good for us and we cant always worry about possibly losing. At some point this program has got to improve and improve a lot. Problem is hate to say it but not to sure SHU is all that relevant.

UCONN wants to play SJU, GEORGETOWN, VILLANOVA, Marquette and possibly XAVIER. We cant get caught up on the past and hold these grudges in my opinion.

If we had a big time football program and especially if Richie Regan were still here I can almost guarantee he would do almost anything to get us in the ACC . And I have to think we would all be thrilled to death because we still could play some of our longtime rivals like SJU and Georgetown AND NOVA among others.

Grudges hold no purpose especially in the sports world. If we can be in the best conference or have a great coach well for the sake of the school we have to move forward.

An example would be Tommy Amaker. I know many would never like to see his face again but if we were ever able to get him lets do it. As most know I love football and got my Street and Smiths last week.

Just for some non SHU info Wagner is playing at Rice and BYU this football season. The total amount they will get back for playing these schools combined is about 600 000 at the least.

Rice will pay between 2 and 3 hundred thousand for the game and BYU with 65 000 always in attendance will pay Wagner between 4 and 6 hundred thousand to show up.

Wagner has a home field of about 4000. When and if Lyons decides on a stadium it will seat more let alone Schools Stadium OR RED BULLS STADIUM.

On the first page of the schedules for FBS schools I saw probably 20 schools I never heard of. A few Incarnate Word, MILES LANE, PIKEVILLE CHOWAN AND ON AND ON.

BUTLER IS IN THE PIONEER And travels to San Diego and Jacksonville among other places. Ill leave it at that .

As far as UCONN I would even take a chance with them and TEMPLE UMASS AND MEMPHIS and probably Dayton if this league expands. Have to .

We have to get a lot stronger no matter what the RPI or Power Rankings show. We were in the Best ever conference for years so hopefully MS. Ackerman will do something about expanding. But please no Richmond LA Salle and those type of schools.

Good schools but for an expansion into the Big East. No way. I totally agree with PIRATE64. What PJ did was great but not all that sure we will ever see that kind of run at THE HALL again. Maybe its possible but we can only hope. Very sad situation.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Unless UConn joins the Big East as a full member with a large exit penalty, there's no way any BE school should help them in any way. Why would you help your enemy?

They were very underhanded and were trying to be part of a group trying to destroy the conference.

They just happened to play their cards wrong.

NYC area BE teams are not being very smart when they help Syracuse and their fans with local games. They wanted the ACC, so let them head south or back north to Syracuse to watch games.

Reactions: SPK145
Yes but UCONN was looking to bolt as well but no one wanted them for FB.

Unless UConn joins the Big East as a full member with a large exit penalty, there's no way any BE school should help them in any way. Why would you help your enemy?

They were very underhanded and were trying to be part of a group trying to destroy the conference.

They just happened to play their cards wrong.

NYC area BE teams are not being very smart when they help Syracuse and their fans with local games. They wanted the ACC, so let them head south or back north to Syracuse to watch games.

Have to agree. Let UConn, Syracuse and their like get recruiting footholds from other schools. There are many alternative teams we can schedule down the road that would be welcomed by our fan base.

Have to agree. Let UConn, Syracuse and their like get recruiting footholds from other schools. There are many alternative teams we can schedule down the road that would be welcomed by our fan base.

I'm with Dan and 400 on this as well. There are some old BE teams I wouldn't mind playing like ND, BC or Pitt and maybe even WVA in a home and home and some schools out west like UNLV and my top target Gonzaga .

Good schools but for an expansion into the Big East. No way. I totally agree with PIRATE64. What PJ did was great but not all that sure we will ever see that kind of run at THE HALL again. Maybe its possible but we can only hope. Very sad situation.

Please don't fall into Pirate64's way of thinking. We now have a president and AD with a clue and the Pirates will rise again! Bet on it!

Please don't fall into Pirate64's way of thinking. We now have a president and AD with a clue and the Pirates will rise again! Bet on it!

I agree with what NJ's Team is saying.. The two most important elements in any venture is having the right leadership in key positions and having a true commitment to achieving success and that means providing the financial resources necessary to do so. I believe that Gabe and Pat can and are providing that leadership and we have a supportive BOR . There is however one key position where the BB program is not getting leadership and until that changes our chances of success are handicapped . What happens with that position going forward will be the true indicator of which direction this program is headed.

1) Obviously biased since my team has already started a series with Uconn
2) Teams in the BE including Georgetown are hurting attendancewise. Cuse and Uconn fill the stands and put money in our pockets and cash rules everything around me. Who cares if it helps them. Basketball is not a 0 sum game. It helps us and that's all that matter.

1) Obviously biased since my team has already started a series with Uconn
2) Teams in the BE including Georgetown are hurting attendance wise. Cuse and Uconn fill the stands and put money in our pockets and cash rules everything around me. Who cares if it helps them. Basketball is not a 0 sum game. It helps us and that's all that matter.
It matters if playing them increases the chances of them taking players away from Big East teams and weakening the product.

There are plenty of quality teams we can play that won't raid our area with abandon. If the league is at the point that they need opposing fans to attend our games then the Big East is in trouble. Put a better product on the court and our fans will come out.

Problem is if SJU, VU or GU refuses to play UCONN and/or Syracuse, someone else will. Actually UCONN could set up series to play Syracuse and/or Pitt (or even WV), sure both wouldn't mind 3 games series. Those schools will still get their NYC exposure, and the BE teams will still be looking for games. I say play those schools and beat them, that is the best payback.

Reactions: Hoya1987
It matters if playing them increases the chances of them taking players away from Big East teams and weakening the product.

There are plenty of quality teams we can play that won't raid our area with abandon. If the league is at the point that they need opposing fans to attend our games then the Big East is in trouble. Put a better product on the court and our fans will come out.

The issue is this assumes that if we don't play them no one will and they'll fade into irrelevance. As much as we'd love for that to happen it's not going to. We can't keep them from getting games against other programs. I don't see these teams as threats because as I said it's not a 0 sum game. Just cause they're good doesn't mean we cannot be good.

As to the bolded part, that has always been true for our programs because we're small catholic schools not big state schools. We just don't have enough alumni to support our teams on our own. Doesn't mean we cannot have good programs and have success on the court, but we need teams that are draws in order to sell out our arenas and rake in the cash.

There are plenty of high qualities teams spread throughout the nation that we and other Big East teams can schedule that would be major draws. We don't have to feed the UConn, Syracuse, etc machines to help them out.

The only reason they are coming here is to recruit and offer players in our area the chance to play in front of friends and family. And in return we play in their arena in front of a 100% partisan crowd.

No thanks, let other programs help schools that deserted us for other leagues or in UConn's case the hope for another league.

There are plenty of high qualities teams spread throughout the nation that we and other Big East teams can schedule that would be major draws. We don't have to feed the UConn, Syracuse, etc machines to help them out.

The only reason they are coming here is to recruit and offer players in our area the chance to play in front of friends and family. And in return we play in their arena in front of a 100% partisan crowd.

No thanks, let other programs help schools that deserted us for other leagues or in UConn's case the hope for another league.
I cannot consider that schools that left deserters. They did what was best for them by a longshot. The league was too unwieldy to stay together much longer and we ended up with what we wanted. I am over it.

I agree with Halldan1. There are many teams that will draw fans other than former BE teams. And if you win, your own fans and area residents will fill the seats.

I repeat: Don't help your enemies and those who have hurt you. BE schools are on the same boat here. Thanks to the markets we're in, the tradition and TV money, the conference can rise again to become the top basketball league.

I just believe that when somebody plays hardball with you, you give it back twice as bad. People need to know that if they punch you, they're also going to get bloodied.

Thinking long term, there must be consequences for actions. If not, we're just a bunch of punks.

Lets not kid ourselves. Cuse or UConn does not need us to help them recruit the NYC/NJ area. But a SHU/Cuse game had about 15K fans at our last game with them, and I bet we liked the money. UConn wold do the same. If they draw more fans than us, shame on SHU fans.

The most true consequence for a BE fb program not doing what they did was firing their AD and making him take a sanity test.

And to add, the breaking up of the BE was a very good thing for us. We are in a better place. Actually, the Catholic 7 broke up the BE for good.

If you want to hold a grudge with BC of Va Tech of Miami, maybe that makes sense. Cuse didn't do anything RU didn't do and we play RU every year. Scheduling a Cuse or UConn game at the Rock, giving me a great OOC game to watch, getting us a sell out at worst, helping our RPI, making a national statement if we win, you can see that as us being a punk. I see it as running a business the right way and exploiting an opportunity that helps us in every way and does not hurt us one penny.

Lastly, I think the best way to get back at your enemy is to beat the shit out of them.

Last edited:
I wonder what Fox has to say about this? If they get the games and the ratings are good does that trump everything else? Or is Fox loyal to their brand and does not want to promote other non BE teams? In the end we can talk all we want but the $ will rule.

Here's the thing It's a win win for teams in the BE and teams like Uconn. If we don't schedule them we only hurt ourselves because they'll just find someone else to play them. A team like Cuse and Uconn can easily get a neutral site game in MSG. If Georgetown doesn't want to play they'll schedule Maryland, If Seton Hall doesn't play them Rutgers will, If Nova doesn't want to play Temple will. You're not going to keep these teams out of these areas. You might as well reap some of the rewards of them coming to town, because you can bet if you don't someone else will.

Lastly, I think the best way to get back at your enemy is to beat the shit out of them.
Here's the thing It's a win win for teams in the BE and teams like Uconn. If we don't schedule them we only hurt ourselves because they'll just find someone else to play them. A team like Cuse and Uconn can easily get a neutral site game in MSG. If Georgetown doesn't want to play they'll schedule Maryland, If Seton Hall doesn't play them Rutgers will, If Nova doesn't want to play Temple will. You're not going to keep these teams out of these areas. You might as well reap some of the rewards of them coming to town, because you can bet if you don't someone else will.
Exactly. The war is over. Now is the time to go forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT