ADVERTISEMENT

WFAN On Willard Today

Pirate64

All World
Jun 3, 2001
A friend left me a voicemail that he heard on WFAN: " Kevin Willard will be coaching at Seton Hall next year and that his interest in Holy Cross is unfounded".

I don't know where WFAN got that from or whether the Holy Cross part is true. But there it is.

Was that a Mink-man update? A caller? A well placed PR move? Not sure why WFAN would be talking Willard or SHU.

Originally posted by Pirate64:

A friend left me a voicemail that he heard on WFAN: " Kevin Willard will be coaching at Seton Hall next year and that his interest in Holy Cross is unfounded".

I don't know where WFAN got that from or whether the Holy Cross part is true. But there it is.
You should make that your answering machine message.

It was during Benigno (sp?) and Roberts show when they had Rothstein on and a caller called about Willard and his status and the rumors (it was actually a good spoken call i thought).

The weird part was Rothstein came off as like pissed answering it. He immediately was like Kevin Willard is the head coach of seton hall next year and there are no issues. The guy tried to follow up and he said the same line. Then the caller was like what about the Holy Cross stuff and he said the same thing.

Very bizarre almost like if a SHU official was answering the questions
Originally posted by JIMSOULS:
Originally posted by Pirate64:

You should make that your answering machine message.

I heard that to. that guy Rothstein was on with JOE and EVAN and some guy called and asked Rothstein have you heard anything about Kevin Willard. Said there were rumors going around and that he taked with Holy Cross and also said he was a SHU fan. Rothstein simply said that Willard was going nowhere and will be back for another season. Then they went on to talk about SJU anf Mullin and how it wasn't good enough for the SJU people to just get in the NCAAS 2 times and the NIT 1 time under Lavin. They want to get back to where they were years ago and not only get in EVERY YEAR BUT WIN. Also they are looking to hire a superstar staff as we all know. We are spending a million dollars on the softball facility that isn't even on our campus and that's fine . Hope all the best for all our teams. But yet we cant do anything with Willard.

to clarify. I mean that his tone was that of a SHU official and that is why it was weird. I understand why a local guy won't blast a coach who is employed. But he was so quick and dismissive and came off almost angry at the notion the guy would ask.

that is why it seemed odd to me. tone-wise. I also might be way off on this

Originally posted by williaza01:
to clarify. I mean that his tone was that of a SHU official and that is why it was weird. I understand why a local guy won't blast a coach who is employed. But he was so quick and dismissive and came off almost angry at the notion the guy would ask.

that is why it seemed odd to me. tone-wise. I also might be way off on this
Don't underestimate the media reach of our administration. They're everywhere.

Seriously though, I didn't hear the call, and don't blame you for the sense of paranoia re: this situation. It's become beyond weird at this point.

Lol. Ain't that the truth. His twitter feed at times is unreadable. Every team is on the verge of a great year and every player is a player to watch.

Apparently this is the whole truth but for the last few weeks we wanted hope, daylight, and something to get excited about for next year.

I'm still hoping for a statement from Pat Lyons about the state of men's basketball at Seton Hall.
Maybe he's waiting until he's sure Kevin hasn't found something else.

One can only hope.

This post was edited on 3/31 7:07 AM by Pirate64

This post was edited on 3/31 7:07 AM by Pirate64

I was the one that called and was abruptly answered. After the answer they didnt spend one second on further discussing the matter. It was very strange

This post was edited on 3/31 8:05 AM by Proff Ed

This post was edited on 3/31 8:07 AM by Proff Ed

guys like rothstein hang onto coaches legs just to get the littlest bit of info and make a name for themselves. no doubt a willard shill who wouldnt dare speak the truth out of fear of loosing access.

Proff Ed
That's the new paradigm for MF's show and it's the reason I no longer listen to or watch his show.

I am not saying youre wrong but this was during the mid-day show and not MF show
Originally posted by hallgrad80:
Proff Ed
That's the new paradigm for MF's show and it's the reason I no longer listen to or watch his show.

I was in the car yesterday morning and heard this call on the FAN and Rothstein seemed to very arrogant with his response. He just said Kevin Willard is the head coach at Seton Hall. When caller asked about if Holy Cross offered him the job the same response was given that Kevin Willard is the head coach at Seton Hall. That was it. Spent 15 seconds on the question and moved on. I was hoping for a little bit more than that crock of a response.

When Joe and Evan asked him about Mullin he wouldn't give them an answer whether it was a good hire or not. Evan was pretty much against the hire bit Rothstein just poo poo'd the answer. No surprise. The day he knocks a coach will be the first time he does.

Rothstein would have been totally calm and full of praise for the commander if he had been covering the Hindenburg landing in Lakehurst. That explosion and fire? Nah, no big deal.

Jon is a pleasant guy who knows where his bread is buttered. All the coaches love him because they know he will never uttered a bad word about them or their program. That gives him acess to just about any practice in the country. It's how he does business and frankly how many others do as well.

Most that read his columns know this so he loses some creditability for inside info. In his opinion a very fair tradeoff.

Originally posted by Halldan1:
Jon is a pleasant guy who knows where his bread is buttered. All the coaches love him because they know he will never uttered a bad word about them or their program. That gives him acess to just about any practice in the country. It's how he does business and frankly how many others do as well.

Most that read his columns know this so he loses some creditability for inside info. In his opinion a very fair tradeoff.
The whole dynamic of media folks trying to maintain this balance has never seemed more evident to me than it has following this team the last year or so. None of the hard questions are ever asked and none of the controversial stories are ever covered. Not sure if it's more a product of our super-secret University, or the fact that the media landscape has changed so much in recent years. Probably a combination of both.

And I can't take him seriously because he cannot offer any sort of real analysis. Everything he does is kissing up to coaches. I'll take a very fair analysis from Gary Parrish, Jeff Goodman, Pat Forde, and others who have inside access without acting like Rothstein.

Speaking of Rothstein, the link below is hilarious.

5 things every fan should know about the Final 4

Originally posted by Pirate6711:

And I can't take him seriously because he cannot offer any sort of real analysis. Everything he does is kissing up to coaches. I'll take a very fair analysis from Gary Parrish, Jeff Goodman, Pat Forde, and others who have inside access without acting like Rothstein.

Speaking of Rothstein, the link below is hilarious.
WTF? I don't follow Rothstein but holy cow?

BTW, Mario Kart vs. "Sleeping In" in the first round is a tough matchup.

This was Joe and Evan, I usually enjoy them. I too have a hard time listening to MF. He is a pompous blow hard who used to really know the college BB game. Now he begins to take notice of it in Mid February.

Originally posted by sportsfantatic44:
I was in the car yesterday morning and heard this call on the FAN and Rothstein seemed to very arrogant with his response. He just said Kevin Willard is the head coach at Seton Hall. When caller asked about if Holy Cross offered him the job the same response was given that Kevin Willard is the head coach at Seton Hall. That was it. Spent 15 seconds on the question and moved on. I was hoping for a little bit more than that crock of a response.

When Joe and Evan asked him about Mullin he wouldn't give them an answer whether it was a good hire or not. Evan was pretty much against the hire bit Rothstein just poo poo'd the answer. No surprise. The day he knocks a coach will be the first time he does.
Amazing that we need a WFAN caller to finally ask this very important question, and it still gets stonewalled.

People here do not want to accept the reality. No one is being snowballed. The fact is that there is not going to be a coaching change.

TK

Originally posted by SnakeTom:
People here do not want to accept the reality. No one is being snowballed. The fact is that there is not going to be a coaching change.

TK
Yes, they just refuse to believe the great quality info Dan and Sal feed them. They work hard to give the facts without being shut out.

Originally posted by garyshu71:

TK
Yes, they just refuse to believe the great quality info Dan and Sal feed them. They work hard to give the facts without being shut out.
When did Dan or Sal ever say there was going to be a coaching change?: Please enlighten me!

TK

TK
Tom - not sure if this is in reference to my post but i was referring to being stonewalled on the HC questions by a media member on WFAN. I've accepted the fact that KW is back, what I don't get is the Holy Cross situation is being made out to never have happened. Maybe it didn't, but at least the school could comment to that effect, since the rumor is out there. Or just comment on Willard in general.

Originally posted by phi_pirates:

TK
Tom - not sure if this is in reference to my post but i was referring to being stonewalled on the HC questions by a media member on WFAN. I've accepted the fact that KW is back, what I don't get is the Holy Cross situation is being made out to never have happened. Maybe it didn't, but at least the school could comment to that effect, since the rumor is out there. Or just comment on Willard in general.
I agree. The administration should just come out and state the obvious to end all the speculation. As to the Holy Cross situation there probably was contact but since they already hired a coach it really doesn't matter anymore. Whether we like it or not it seems pretty clear that Willard will be our head coach next season and if that is the case I hope the team turns it around around and has a winning season (spelled NCAA) . I refuse to not support our team just because I do not particularly like the coach.

Tom K

Originally posted by garyshu71:

TK
When did Dan or Sal ever say there was going to be a coaching change?: Please enlighten me!

TK
Read my post once again please. I'm agreeing with you and endorsing their info. Sheesh.

The problem with the way Rothstein does business is that his information provides about as much meaningful insight as Pravda.

As a journalist, he's a sell out. Plain and simple.

Reactions: shu09 and SPK145
The problem with the way Rothstein does business is that his information provides about as much meaningful insight as Pravda.

You were really saving that response for a while, huh?

He's not a journalist in any sense of the word.

A journalist reports the facts. You can't worry about the reaction of your work unless your report will get someone killed, injured or you will endanger people by releavling a secret.

If you're a real journalist, you have to be honest with your sources and let them know that there's zero quid pro quo in your relationship. Don't leave room for a mistunderstanding. Make it clear. If you have a legit and confirmed story that's going to make them look bad, you're going to report it.

Believe me, in most cases your sources will completely respect your job and continue to work with you. They know you will, in turn, make sure to report the positive news with equal enthusiam.

What's hated by law enforcement, elected officials, medical personnel, military, PR types, etc., is when you report only the bad news and ignore the good news.

People on here complain about the negativity and then complain that Rothstein is too pleasant lol

Because Rothstein is insanely incorrect 98% of the time. And he makes every starter out to be the 2nd coming and every bench player into a legit starter.

According to him, pretty much every team is stacked.

He lives in fantasy and fluff land.

He's not a journalist in any sense of the word.

A journalist reports the facts. You can't worry about the reaction of your work unless your report will get someone killed, injured or you will endanger people by releavling a secret.

If you're a real journalist, you have to be honest with your sources and let them know that there's zero quid pro quo in your relationship. Don't leave room for a mistunderstanding. Make it clear. If you have a legit and confirmed story that's going to make them look bad, you're going to report it.

Believe me, in most cases your sources will completely respect your job and continue to work with you. They know you will, in turn, make sure to report the positive news with equal enthusiam.

What's hated by law enforcement, elected officials, medical personnel, military, PR types, etc., is when you report only the bad news and ignore the good news.
Some reporters have always slanted their reporting in favor of someone in a tit for tat arrangement. Dick Young was Walter O'Malley's boy. If the Dodgers were having a hard time signing Pee Wee, Young would report the rumor that there are talks between Brooklyn and KC for a trade including Pee Wee, or he would report that some sources think Pee Wee has lost a step the field and his bat is slowing down. He said what O'Malley told him to say and in return, he got the jump on real stories, and maybe that is why he was the biggest NYC writer for a while. I doubt if that is taught in journalism school but I bet it is not an isolated instance either.

Real reporters cultivate sources that allow them to get the stories their subjects don't want them to get, and they build those sources deep enough that they can verify those stories through multiple sources. They don't run around shilling for everybody the way Rothstein does. That's not journalism, it's public relations.

Is there anyone here who believes they are getting reliable info when Rothstein issues a denial of a negative story about anything?

I like Rothstein. Sure he's a bit of a shill but he gets information out there. I assign my own values on what he says. Not everyone has to be a deep investigative journalist. That's what I have Steve Politi for.

Is there anyone here who believes they are getting reliable info when Rothstein issues a denial of a negative story about anything?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I do when he agrees with me.......

Is there anyone here who believes they are getting reliable info when Rothstein issues a denial of a negative story about anything?
Yeah, I do when he agrees with me.......[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you're a hopeless optimist.

Rothstein has actually broken a lot of news this summer (transfers, recruits, committments, etc)

ADVERTISEMENT