ADVERTISEMENT

Whom Am I To Believe?

Fordham_57

All World
Jun 3, 2001
"Anderson, … said that ..,. after playing well in scrimmages against the team and HEARING THE PLAYERS HYPE THE COACHING STAFF he knew it (Seton Hall) was the perfect fit."

I get awfully tired of hearing some posters constantly denigrading our coaching staff.
The above comment by one of our newest recruits (in a Trove interview) leads me to question the credibility of the constant harngers on the board. I think player perception and acceptability of our staff counts for something. Frank

Reactions: IHM Pirate
KW's sideline demeanor, ridiculous answers to the press and lack of Offensive sets are also apart of the whole picture.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

Come on. You cant be serious? Our coaching staff sucks butt. The players NEED guys on the roster to field a team so they will say anything to get people to come. If the coaches were actually good our players would be saying that to a much better recruit.

"Anderson, … said that ..,. after playing well in scrimmages against the team and HEARING THE PLAYERS HYPE THE COACHING STAFF he knew it (Seton Hall) was the perfect fit."

I get awfully tired of hearing some posters constantly denigrading our coaching staff.
The above comment by one of our newest recruits (in a Trove interview) leads me to question the credibility of the constant harngers on the board. I think player perception and acceptability of our staff counts for something. Frank

Yes, we are wrong. Kevin Willard is a great coach. Of course, what is the player going to say. After a scrimmage, "I realized that Coach Willard sucks as a coach. He can't even draw up an inbounds play after 6 years at SHU."

Now come on, let's have some common sense.

Remember when KW didn't want to guard the man inbounding the ball at Creighton? Remember when KW didn't want Sterling taking the final shot against Creighton?

Yeah... GREAT coach. LOL.

Reactions: deheremike
You judge a coach by his record and his record is an established fact not someone's subjective opinion and Willard's record speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Frank - KW is an unsuccessful coach. That's the fact we are dealing with.
He should have been fired just like anyone who make $1.5 million and fails.
He shows no sign of worry or concern- that's also what gets to me.

Good for you Frank. I think a lot of the doomsayers here should find another team to root for.

Reactions: IHM Pirate
Have to disagree. Doomsayers ?

Watch what happens when the team falters and Whitehead chucks away. KW will just shrug, the same way he did with Jeff Robinson and Sterling Gibbs.

" I don't know why Jeff keeps taking those 3 point shots".

History has repeated year after year. KW's teams do not improve and the second time around- in February- the other teams adjust and kick our butts.

That's why so many of us are negative.

Did K Dubbs really say that about Robinson? Wow.

Not sure I remember a more selfish "get mine" display than when JR starting gunning that year.

Frank I can't tell you what to believe. I'll tell you what I think though. I think we will have a good season next year but it will have little to do with the coach. We will have a good season because we have talented players who will have a years experience under their belts and Whitehead will have fully recovered from his foot injury which was not the case last season..

Tom K

Reactions: Seton75
The fact that Sina and Gibbs left always made me wonder if it was the coaching staff. It wasn't playing time.

This has to be Willard's year, obviously. I agree with the Whitehead comment, that he will have a good year. I'd use him in different ways, not just that "signature" weave offense Willard likes.
He's a great creator in traffic, don't see him as a traditional pg, but get him that second or third pass around the key or lower, and he's dangerous and smart to either pass or shoot or drive. I'd lose that predictable spin move in the lane. Kid loves confusion and movement around him and knows what to do. He's not the same player from deep, unless he's shooting, from a trad guard position.
That said, if Willard can get v good seasons from Isaiah and Angel, plus good role playing, the. Next season could surprise big time. That scenario I think demands more from the coach than the players, so the season is Willard's to mess up, cause I think the players have it. There's a lot of heart and pride there. Without bickering, the season has huge upside potential. The one thing about basketball is it only takes a couple of players having great seasons for a team to do the same. If Al McGuire were still doing games, I can almost hear him calling Whitehead "a Picasso." Of course Al knew the game but he always had a weakness for city kids. I must confess, i do too. But Whitehead is an amazing talent. It's his time. Willard just needs to set the stage for their success.

Never understood the rationale behind the argument that if we lose, it's the coach but if we win, it's the players (despite the coach)...

If we get the recruit, great job by the players and the assistant; but if we don't, the coach can't close...

He's either responsible for team performance and recruiting, or he's not. Trying to have it both ways to make your point is stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT