ADVERTISEMENT

Why!?

Aside from the fact that she didn’t cry out loud and put down the NCAA , like other commissioners would have done, she has been amazing for the BE. But the real test will take place this year.

She pushed for their return to the BE, which helped restore them to this level.

Again, Val is a good administrator. If you’re looking for some dynamic type that will get the BE in front of everyone and advocate, go get Fanta!

Well, Val in the early days set up the platform for student reporters and gave them a lot of airtime on Fox and the digital BE platform. Then of course Fanta was hired by Val. So some could argue that if not for Val there wouldn't be a Fanta.

Reactions: SHUSource
Well, Val in the early days set up the platform for student reporters and gave them a lot of airtime on Fox and the digital BE platform. Then of course Fanta was hired by Val. So some could argue that if not for Val there wouldn't be a Fanta.
Yes. I was being facetious with Fanta in that Val is not the type that will be highly visible campaigning like some others in such positions.

UConn brings in a big market and I hope having her cut down a piece of the net shows that UConn is invested in the Big East just as much as the Big East is invested in UConn. That is a good sign for the Big East and Seton Hall.

People are questioning why she didn't make note Seton Hall winning the NIT. They are in contact negotiations with Fox, promoting ESPN and the NIT is not going to help that. Promoting a brand that Fox is going to compete with next year is not a good idea.

It was also said why didn't she make a big deal of Seton Hall getting snubbed. How does anybody know if she did or didn't do? All we know about is what is presented in the media. She could go out there and trying to blast the committee publicly but what is that going to do? Now that Seton Hall won the NIT and others got killed I am sure she will do her work under the radar. This way she doesn't make the committee look like idiots and you get she gets her point across. If you have work with these people in years to come it wouldn't be wise to blast them publicly.

It was also said why didn't she make a big deal of Seton Hall getting snubbed. How does anybody know if she did or didn't do? All we know about is what is presented in the media. She could go out there and trying to blast the committee publicly but what is that going to do? Now that Seton Hall won the NIT and others got killed I am sure she will do her work under the radar. This way she doesn't make the committee look like idiots and you get she gets her point across. If you have work with these people in years to come it wouldn't be wise to blast them publicly.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Most feel that Val should have been more vocal, but she clearly understands the pitfalls of a public rebuke of the NCAA selection committee. She calculated that there may have been more harm done, than good. My guess is that Val is attacking this in a more pragmatic way, out of public view.

Winning the NIT Championship will help Val's rational for more inclusion in the Dance. Additionally, the Big East had the best conference winning percentage at .833 (10-2), in the NCAA tourney.

Most feel that Val should have been more vocal, but she clearly understands the pitfalls of a public rebuke of the NCAA selection committee. She calculated that there may have been more harm done, than good. My guess is that Val is attacking this in a more pragmatic way, out of public view.

Winning the NIT Championship will help Val's rational for more inclusion in the Dance. Additionally, the Big East had the best conference winning percentage at .833 (10-2), in the NCAA tourney.
Would your perception of the Big East's performance in the NCAAs be different if Seton Hall, St. John's and Providence had earned three of the last five bids and gone 0-3 or 1-3?

I know I'm biased, but the winning teams for both the NCAA and NIT were Big East teams and the head coaches both played as PG's in the Big East and both from Seton Hall. Yes, the NIT doesn't mean much if anything, but hopeing there is a story or joint interview that the conference can get some mileage. Maybe have a game of HORSE with Sha and Danny:).

I don't think the NIT means anything on this issue. Nor does it impact any "leverage" with the NCAA Committee.

To the extent the Committee views or considers such things, the fact that Uconn steamrolled everyone for a second year is perhaps helpful, coupled with other teams advancing to the Sweet 16.

Add in that Uconn's only challenge over the last month was in the Big East semis to a team that was on the NCAA bubble but apparently farther removed than bracketologists though.

Add in that the same Uconn team which lost only 3 games all year got picked off earlier in the conference schedule by another bubble team (us), by double digits at home.

Who knows what if anything that means going forward for how the BE gets treated. The message to every team should be don't put yourself in the position to be on the bubble in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT