ADVERTISEMENT

Will There Be Changes On Willard's Staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by knowknow456:

SPK is smearing Lyons or at least someone at the school. Let's assume the buyout truly is untenable but suppose Lyons gave you a sincere and plausible rationale for how we got here. You may still think he is incompetent and should lose his job. That's not what SPK is saying. He is saying Lyons' personal relationship trumped the best interest of the school. This is not incompetence; this is immediate cause for discharge.
I'm not smearing anyone, I've suggested that Lyons hands are not totally clean here, common sense tells you that based on the timing of said extension without a sensible buyout, unless he's not really the AD. Based on the buyout, somebody or a group of somebodies appear to not have acted in Seton Hall's best interest if after 5 years of really poor results you don't have a good option.

No more from me on this other than Seton Hall again is screwed by incompetency from one or more representatives, you're trying to set me up by twisting everything.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me who is a worse X and O's and recruiting coach in the Big East then Willard.

This is why a move needs to be made, because after 5 years we find ourselves with the bottom of the barrel in our conf.

I think 5 years is plenty of time to show you can compete, I think he has proven otherwise.

Originally posted by HALL85:

You can never prove that about a personal relationship but it looks like Lyons signed what was in the works and presented to him (although the timing still doesn't make sense since Pat was hired during Kevin's first year, and the extension was put together in year two.
Seems like the extension was during year 3.

Bobbie I graduate SHU in the mid 90's and my ex-wife is the one with all the money lol. I donate more time than money to the school and, although I joke about being a douche, I have my name on nothing at the school and if you met me at a game (which you might have) I am as humble as they come. I am not about flash or excess btw. Clearly my humor gets lost in the posts and it has somehow taken on a life of its own here but rest assured, I bleed blue. If you caught me on the halftime show at the Depaul game you would know I am a reasonable and humble guy, looking to help the school I love, with just an odd sense of humor as I like to push some buttons here. What is the most frustrating thing as a "somewhat" young alumni is the 35-45 year old crowd is not represented at SHU and I am pretty sure a lot of you are on this board. I think if you took a time to separate the anger at SHU that follow my somewhat upbeat posts, you would see my posts always have "two key points" I am trying to convey in my message. #1 I take my donation to SHU very seriously because to me it is a lot of money. I volunteer at the school and see that the dollars go much farther than basketball. I feel like people advocating a buyout don't represent my views and I feel like I have an obligation to voice my concern. #2 That I wish people would realize the ONLY way we will overtake our competition is with an alumni base that donates more time and money. I use some sarcasm to get that across since clearly Pirate Blue's outreach isn't working based on donation. Anyone wants to get on board with that ask Felt how to connect with me and we can get a beer. Go Pirates!

Originally posted by ArtieLange9:

I am still waiting for someone to tell me who is a worse X and O's and recruiting coach in the Big East then Willard.

This is why a move needs to be made, because after 5 years we find ourselves with the bottom of the barrel in our conf.

I think 5 years is plenty of time to show you can compete, I think he has proven otherwise.
Could argue Purnell, but that's a LOW bar, haha. Your post is 100% correct. If I were to rank the Big East coaches, Willard is 9th or 10th without a doubt.

All you need to know is this: Kevin Willard is the only major conference coach with at least four years under his belt to have never made the NCAA Tournament.

Originally posted by SPK145:

You can never prove that about a personal relationship but it looks like Lyons signed what was in the works and presented to him (although the timing still doesn't make sense since Pat was hired during Kevin's first year, and the extension was put together in year two.
The extension that HallDan has said, repeatedly, was not done?

As I posted om the Trove last week there was indeed an extension and I must apologize for passing on very bad information given to me by a 'past' source who was always accurate. I am not happy that I got hung out to dry but that's on me for posting what I was told.

The extension was signed summer of 2012.

at least DePaul improved this year......Willard's team haven't improved at all in the last 3 years. Go look at his BE record after February 1st in the last 3 years. It's atrocious. Geez, our best road/neutral site win this year was Illinois State. We lost most games by double digits on the road vs. over .500 teams. C'mon in year 5 already. No meaningful road wins. Talent or no talent it's the same garbage. Either buy him out or don't give me the nonsense that Seton Hall is trying to be big time basketball anymore.

So coming off a season in which we collapsed epically to blow an NCAA bid which was pretty much unblowable and with such terrible recruiting that the next season was absolutely guaranteed to be an abject disaster Seton Hall gave the coach a contract extension. Real geniuses at work there.

On what basis could anyone legitimately argue that Willard earned a contract extension based on his performance.Was it the three conference wins two years ago; was it the back to back 6-12 Conference record last year and this year; was it the locker room issues we see every year; was it the way we have played fundamentally flawed basketball for 5 years; or was it his recruiting ability. If the person responsible for extending Kevin's contract was Lyons then any criticism leveled against him is not out of bounds.

I'm not smearing anyone, I've suggested that Lyons hands are not totally clean here, common sense tells you that based on the timing of said extension without a sensible buyout, unless he's not really the AD. Based on the buyout, somebody or a group of somebodies appear to not have acted in Seton Hall's best interest if after 5 years of really poor results you don't have a good option.

No more from me on this other than Seton Hall again is screwed by incompetency from one or more representatives, you're trying to set me up by twisting everything.
I appreciate your reply and was not trying to set you up. Your phrase "acted more in a fiduciary role for Willard than they did for Seton Hall" stands or falls on its own merit.

I continue to believe you could clear everything up in one paragraph if you so chose, but I understand it may not be in your best interest to do so.

Originally posted by Halldan1:
always accurate. I am not happy that I got hung out to dry but that's on me for posting what I was told.

The extension was signed summer of 2012.
He was given an extension coming off a collapse with an NCAA berth at his finger tips, and a '12 recruiting class of Tom Maayan and Kyle Smyth?

Really shocking where we're at 3 years later....
flush.r191677.gif

Dan
Thanks for clearing up the question of the contract extension and I'm sorry you got hung out to dry but reporting what you believe is accurate info from a source that had previously been reliable is not your fault. We now know there was a contract extension and the question now becomes whether the info that the buyout provision next year is manageable , if it came from the same source , is also accurate.

Guys, I understand the frustrations. All SHU fans are in a very bad place right now. But this subject has been beaten to death and it's not going to change.

Best to just root on the team and hope for the best.

Since nothing new is going to be added on this thread I am locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT