ADVERTISEMENT

‘Seton Hall is in his blood’

I love her articles.

Surprised that i was not so impressed with the recent BE book

Reactions: SHUSource
I loved this:

The drumbeat at Seton Hall is near constant, if not with players on campus, then certainly in the living rooms. Recruits and their families flat out ask what Holloway can do to build their brand. “I tell them, ‘What can you do to raise mine?’” he says. “Because my brand is Seton Hall.’’ If that reads defiant, it sounds even more so when Holloway says it. Some might say it’s a dangerously retro approach, sure to turn off players who don’t ascribe to Holloway’s work hard, play well, earn yours approach. Holloway figures it’s a way to weed out the guys who can’t play for him, anyway.

I'm going to bet that this works. Yes, he'll lose out on some -- maybe more than some -- kids we might have otherwise landed, but I think he'll also land kids who respond to and want to rise to his challenge. That isn't every kid, but the ones who it describes are the kind you win with.

I loved this:

The drumbeat at Seton Hall is near constant, if not with players on campus, then certainly in the living rooms. Recruits and their families flat out ask what Holloway can do to build their brand. “I tell them, ‘What can you do to raise mine?’” he says. “Because my brand is Seton Hall.’’ If that reads defiant, it sounds even more so when Holloway says it. Some might say it’s a dangerously retro approach, sure to turn off players who don’t ascribe to Holloway’s work hard, play well, earn yours approach. Holloway figures it’s a way to weed out the guys who can’t play for him, anyway.

I'm going to bet that this works. Yes, he'll lose out on some -- maybe more than some -- kids we might have otherwise landed, but I think he'll also land kids who respond to and want to rise to his challenge. That isn't every kid, but the ones who it describes are the kind you win with.
Team above all else! Gotta love that! No ‘I’ or ‘me’ but ‘us’ and ‘we’.

Sha is man with strong beliefs about what he sees as his mission as the head coach of Seton Hall and how he intends to go about accomplishing that mission. Will it work in this new version of college basketball with NIL , transfer free agency , and extravagant athletic facilities and infrastructure remains to be seen but one should never count Sha out in his pursuit of a better , more successful program.

Can this be read without a subscription?
Doesn’t look like it unless someone has a trick for getting around the pay wall. Looked promising until you tried to scroll after the first paragraph.

Edit…check that, if you have an iPhone a quick Google search will give you the information you need. It is possible but out of respect for Dan I won’t post it here but I know you’ll be able to quickly find it.

All great. But do we have any commits for incoming class of 2023? UCONN just signed its fourth yesterday: 6'7" Jaylin Stewart from Seattle. They plucked him from summer Peach Jam tournament.

All great. But do we have any commits for incoming class of 2023? UCONN just signed its fourth yesterday: 6'7" Jaylin Stewart from Seattle. They plucked him from summer Peach Jam tournament.
Yesterday they added their fifth 2023 recruit: a seven-footer from Mali. The class is promoting itself as the Fab Five.

Haha, there zero chance all 5 freshman start for UConn next year. So fab five comparisons ridiculous

They have way too many decent big men on bench, imagine if Sanogo stays too.

I expect some transfers leaving UConn.

In this era; no sit transfers, I don’t think we ever see a fab five again.

Haha, there zero chance all 5 freshman start for UConn next year. So fab five comparisons ridiculous

They have way too many decent big men on bench, imagine if Sanogo stays too.

I expect some transfers leaving UConn.

In this era; no sit transfers, I don’t think we ever see a fab five again.
They are in the class of 2023.

How many commits do we have for that class? We have six guys on this year's roster who will be leaving.

How many commits do we have for that class? We have six guys on this year's roster who will be leaving.
We don't have any commits that Sha wouldn't want representing Seton Hall. Plenty of recruits available in the portal come April 2023.

It doesn't matter with Sha leading the team and a healthy transfer portal. Our coach is on the job 5 months, everything will fall into place in due time.
I might argue that having to constantly rebuild through the transfer portal is not the way to long term success.

It's nice to be able to fill holes here and there but I'm not sure it's a substitute for recruiting.

I equate it to a professional team constantly having to reload through free agency because its draft picks don't pan out. It's fine in the short term but you want to be able to fill your holes from within.

I might argue that having to constantly rebuild through the transfer portal is not the way to long term success.

It's nice to be able to fill holes here and there but I'm not sure it's a substitute for recruiting.

I equate it to a professional team constantly having to reload through free agency because its draft picks don't pan out. It's fine in the short term but you want to be able to fill your holes from within.
I'm suggesting the transfer portal is a temporary solution for a coach who's only been in a high major job for 5 months. Within 2 years his ability to recruit Top 100 freshman will improve.

I'm suggesting the transfer portal is a temporary solution for a coach who's only been in a high major job for 5 months. Within 2 years his ability to recruit Top 100 freshman will improve.
That's fair but it's also not a given. You would hope it's true but the road is littered with coaches who had success at the mid-major level that never translated when they moved up in class.

For that matter the opposite is true -- if Shaheen had hit big with this class, it doesn't mean that would continue to be the case. It would be more likely but as always there are never guarantees.

Reactions: walshtrips
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT