ADVERTISEMENT

“class of 68”…Jerry Mackey

dcPirate

All World
Apr 27, 2005
It is with the heaviest of hearts that I post that my father, Gerald Mackey, surprisingly went to be with the Lord early this morning. Playing basketball at The Hall and the relationships he made were some of the proudest moments of his life.

He lived and breathed Seton Hall, especially basketball. Because of him I have been a lifelong fan and rode all the highs and lows over the years. The great run in 1989 was one of the most enjoyable few weeks we ever had together during the run to the Final as I was still in high school so we were able to watch together.

I always enjoyed the phone calls and texts we shared during and after Hall games all the way through this year.

He always loved coming to this website and all the content shared and all the work HallDan did over the years.

For any who knew him, he truly was a remarkable man and I’ve never known someone with a better heart.

Rest in Peace Dad!…

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I post that my father, Gerald Mackey, surprisingly went to be with the Lord early this morning. Playing basketball at The Hall and the relationships he made were some of the proudest moments of his life.

He lived and breathed Seton Hall, especially basketball. Because of him I have been a lifelong fan and rode all the highs and lows over the years. The great run in 1989 was one of the most enjoyable few weeks we ever had together during the run to the Final as I was still in high school so we were able to watch together.

I always enjoyed the phone calls and texts we shared during and after Hall games all the way through this year.

He always loved coming to this website and all the content shared and all the work HallDan did over the years.

For any who knew him, he truly was a remarkable man and I’ve never known someone with a better heart.

Rest in Peace Dad!…
Jerry Mackey was a very good player in a tough era of Pirate basketball. He was a deep shooter before the 3 pt shot came into existence. I remember well that game in Walsh when we took # 2 ranked St Bonnies with Bob Lanier into OT.

RIP to a great former Pirate.

Tom K

My deepest condolences to you and your family, dcPirate. I only learned of the Bob Lanier game at Walsh in ‘68 when several posters recently identified it as one the greatest games they ever attended. I hope your Dad got to see those posts, knowing that his team’s efforts on that day were still fondly remembered.

Rest in Peace Dad!…
Mother Seton pray for him. ✝️🙏

Rest in Peace Dad!…

e188fac3d8d798e5c3479a7ccbc50b2a.jpg

Rest in Peace Dad!…
So very sorry. I remember him very well. A very good shooter. May he rest in peace.

Thoughts and Prayers for your loss. I remember your dad as 67 was about when I started following SHU Hoops.

Reactions: SPK145
dcPirate I am so sorry for your loss. I never met you or your father, but your post has affected me in a profound way. I read your post yesterday and immediately broke down in tears. I am also the son of a '68 graduate (who himself has already posted in this thread) and I have an incredibly strong love for Pirate basketball that goes far beyond simply being a fan. I am not a Seton Hall graduate, and have only been on campus one time decades ago when I was a child. BUT I bleed blue because I grew up during a time when the Pirates were consistently among the best in the country, and more importantly was rooting for the team that my Dad was directly connected to. (as a child growing up in St. Louis, I more than a few times had to explain to my friends why my dad's license plate read 'DA HALL')

Pirate basketball for me, it's completely different to my fandom for any other team in any sport. Reading how you said you and your father would text and call during/after every game, that's exactly how it is with me and my dad. We talk in general about sports with each other a lot, but Seton Hall basketball is personal. Seton Hall is family. It hurts to think about watching a game and not being able to text with him about it.

I'm incredibly sorry for your loss, and can feel it myself. God bless you and your father, and may he rest in peace.

May your Dad rest in Peace. I remember him as a very young fan sitting in front of the radio listening to the games. We had a 6’5 center Bill Somerset, John Suminsky and Foley. Never saw games on the TV. In the play ground at my grammar school I would change the names of the kids playing on the black top to SHU players. I would announce the game as we played and called out your Dad’s name often when kids shot the ball and made it.
Sorry for your loss

dcPirate I am so sorry for your loss. I never met you or your father, but your post has affected me in a profound way. I read your post yesterday and immediately broke down in tears. I am also the son of a '68 graduate (who himself has already posted in this thread) and I have an incredibly strong love for Pirate basketball that goes far beyond simply being a fan. I am not a Seton Hall graduate, and have only been on campus one time decades ago when I was a child. BUT I bleed blue because I grew up during a time when the Pirates were consistently among the best in the country, and more importantly was rooting for the team that my Dad was directly connected to. (as a child growing up in St. Louis, I more than a few times had to explain to my friends why my dad's license plate read 'DA HALL')

Pirate basketball for me, it's completely different to my fandom for any other team in any sport. Reading how you said you and your father would text and call during/after every game, that's exactly how it is with me and my dad. We talk in general about sports with each other a lot, but Seton Hall basketball is personal. Seton Hall is family. It hurts to think about watching a game and not being able to text with him about it.

I'm incredibly sorry for your loss, and can feel it myself. God bless you and your father, and may he rest in peace.
Similar story here!!

This is why the graduate number comparisons are not always valid. Seton Hall has a large number of fans that are not alums and are more passionate about Seton Hall than their actual undergraduate schools. My extended family has at least 10 people that fit that description.

Onward Setonia needs to tap into that network.

Thank you for letting us know! God bless yourself, your family and especially your Dad!

The words you write about your Dad are very moving. What a great man and a great Pirate! It's obvious that you are following in his footprints of having a great heart and being a remarkable man.

Let's hope our Pirates do well for your Dad watching above!

Reactions: SnakeTom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT