ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Andrew Gordon

Andrew Gordon attended South Kent Prep (Conn.) in 2016.

Kid oozes potential but only started playing basketball his senior year in HS in 2015. Was a big-time football player but decided to play basketball as he kept growing. Academic issues and being new to basketball sent him to prep school for a year and now to JuCo.

That makes more sense. This might be the type of player you want to redshirt one year at Seton Hall. But, Willard never does that.

Ish could have redshirted........pg out of st pats could redshirt...... This kid doesnt have the grades to redshirt it seems so to juco he goes

Reactions: shupat08
I haven't seen this player play. But if he is new to the game, a redshirt year after JC ball could be very good for his development.

And, yes, I thought Ish was a good candidate for a redshirt year. But, I think redshirt years can be good for a lot of players who will not get significant playing time.

No one red shirts after junior college

I do agree it rarely happens.

But, please let me know where in the rule book that's not allowed. The general rule is players have a 5 year clock from when they begin college to complete 4 years of basketball (some exceptions like Mormon missions, rare 6th year granted for injuries in multiple years).

I don't know what our roster will look like at the time. Plus, I don't know our need, but a player like Gordon might benefit by an extra year with a program.

I'm not saying it's not allowed, but from the player's perspective, if you're coming from a JUCO, you're mindset is to move on to play and not to sit. Generally you're going to hook up with a 4-year school that lets you do that.

I still get a good laugh when someone says let's get this player in red shirt him and let him develop a year. Did you want to stay 5 years in college? Would you want to sit out a whole year and watch your teammates play while you can just sit and watch? There are a few exceptions to this and it happens to a handful of players each year. But most players don't want to sit and they want to play. Every now and then you will see a player who was redshirted their freshman year become a good player and everyone thinks "Hey, why can't we do that?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT