ADVERTISEMENT

Adama Sanogo's Final 6

Hall-o-daze What junk did you just post, you know nothing when it comes to the information Dan posted on the Trove.

I have no clue. But I seem to remember similar feelings of there goes another one when aikens recruitment was occurring. We thought we had him, then we discussed p5s and facilities and medical staffs oh my, and now he is here.

We've been here before(how many times?)and it doesn't end well. Game Over, Man. Close, But No.

Just wish we didn't have several posters a while back saying their sources told them it was "a sure thing", or "close to done" or some variation of that. Of course many of us(myself included) foolishly believed it, and ran with it, because we wanted to really believe something great in these difficult times - and after having no postseason.

To those using their "sources" to be the first to break Big News: consider the times we are currently living in. The last thing we need right now is to have our hopes built up, only to be kicked down. That doesn't help anything....least of all now. There's nothing wrong with posting "cautiously optimistic", or "we should make his top five" and leaving it at that. I appreciate the posters who use a little restraint. Thanks.
Really? Cause of covid we need to be more considerate of the effect losing him may have on us?

Spk and 85 have a word for that I think...

Really? Cause of covid we need to be more considerate of the effect losing him may have on us?

Spk and 85 have a word for that I think...

I referring more to the fact that we had our very promising post season ripped from us, but go ahead with that narrative.

I think it’s typical for a kid to make a list of his final schools he’s interested in. This really should not be alarming.

It’s been stated that he isn’t making a decision for a couple months anyhow, so making an announcement of final teams is par for the course. And wouldn’t you guys expect another school (like Maryland) to make a huge pitch?

I didn’t expect him to remain quiet and then suddenly say “I’m going to Seton Hall!” He’s too high profile not to make other schools work for him. Let’s see how things play out.

I think Willard should work that into his recruiting pitch "We won't recruit over you unless you stink." That should seal the deal every time :rolleyes:
Fair joke and made me laugh

But you get my point

Md bigs Lindo, Mitchell bros and Tomiac transferring out even though they lose Smith to nba. And supposedly Turgeon promised time to chol Mariel.

Fair joke and made me laugh

But you get my point

Md bigs Lindo, Mitchell bros and Tomiac transferring out even though they lose Smith to nba. And supposedly Turgeon promised time to chol Mariel.
I do get your point and, believe me, I wasn't knocking you.

Reactions: Hallsome
People want to get the best players we can get then freak out when there is competition for the best. Until it's done, there's always going to be competition. It's not as if someone says we're the leader and every other school is going to call off the dogs because Seton Hall is the leader. Let's go #HALLin and get it done. You have to love competing against the best on and off the court. We're going after him with some big names. If we get him, fantastic. If we don't, we have to find a way to win ball games in 20-21 without him. Reminds me of the all the negativity about our team after the RU game. For what? Negativity here didn't win us any games after that. It just made the board look like a bunch of whiners. So what in the past we have had situations where we were the leader and someone swooped in late with an offer and got the recruit. So what if we had guys make a bad play on the court. It's about having a short memory and going get the next one. Until he signs somewhere else, Sanogo is the next one. Let's get him here.

We literally cannot guarantee a thing. Our best player is a true four man however our best lineup next year will most likely be Sandro at the 5.

Aiken
Molson
Cale
Rhoden
Sandro

Willard is also not in the guaranteeing business as am sure most of you know.
I thought Aiken and St. Pat’s coach had some clout with Sanogo?

I just think that's a lie. If he earns it great, but I think Samuel is going to be a player. With that Mamu might need to get some of his minutes at the 5. If you think Sanogo is a 20 minute player and Samuel is only a 10-15 minute player, I'll disagree. I know we have a lot of players to be excited about next year, but I'm looking forward to seeing Samuel's improvement the most.

Mamu for 30 mpg and Samuel for 15 mpg is fine by me. 5 min for Mamu at the 5 spot, 20 for Ike, 15 for Sanogo. Who says no?

Mamu for 30 mpg and Samuel for 15 mpg is fine by me. 5 min for Mamu at the 5 spot, 20 for Ike, 15 for Sanogo. Who says no?
If that’s an estimate great. If that’s a guarantee I say no. I wouldn’t guarantee my own estimates. The one thing we should know at this point is we don’t know. We can all estimate all day long but understanding it’s an estimate is key. Can you imagine if when we recruited Ike and TT if we guaranteed them 25 mpg? Sorry Gill you’re dominating and earned more PT but we guaranteed those minutes to Ike. Mamu nice job but you need to come out for TT for no other reason than those minutes are part of a guarantee. This is a message board and it’s great to guess what’s going to happen but guaranteeing it something else. Who knows Ike and Samuel can come back as studs. Maybe they don’t. Nothings a guarantee.

Reactions: Flnj86 and Piratz
If that’s an estimate great. If that’s a guarantee I say no. I wouldn’t guarantee my own estimates. The one thing we should know at this point is we don’t know. We can all estimate all day long but understanding it’s an estimate is key. Can you imagine if when we recruited Ike and TT if we guaranteed them 25 mpg? Sorry Gill you’re dominating and earned more PT but we guaranteed those minutes to Ike. Mamu nice job but you need to come out for TT for no other reason than those minutes are part of a guarantee. This is a message board and it’s great to guess what’s going to happen but guaranteeing it something else. Who knows Ike and Samuel can come back as studs. Maybe they don’t. Nothings a guarantee.

Absolutely. This also touches upon one of the most critical components of what Willard has built at Seton Hall with regard to player development: You have got to work. If you don't work, someone else will and will take your spot . If you're not a worker, do not take pride in the grind of honing your craft, you're likely not going to be here long.

That's the kind of player he tries to bring in. There are countless examples of this starting with, arguably, now the most decorated player in program history, Myles Powell.

This offseason is a total wildcard to me given the pandemic, but we'll see. I think he's going to have another good team. Aiken's addition was HUGE. I am also wondering who steps up as a leader to fill the void of Powell and McKnight.

Trust nothing until a commitment. While the information provided during the process is both appreciated and interesting, there are few things as hard to predict as this stuff.

Trust nothing until a commitment. While the information provided during the process is both appreciated and interesting, there are few things as hard to predict as this stuff.

Agree. Given what Carino says on the subject, you have to like where we stand. I only wish the Roselle Catholic coach would help us out once in awhile, like Chavannes does.

Agree. Given what Carino says on the subject, you have to like where we stand. I only wish the Roselle Catholic coach would help us out once in awhile, like Chavannes does.

That said, Sanogo will be a beast for Seton Hall. That kid is going to be a terrific BE center in time. He'd probably push Ike for the starting job as a freshman and, at the very least, see regular big minutes.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
That said, Sanogo will be a beast for Seton Hall. That kid is going to be a terrific BE center in time. He'd probably push Ike for the starting job as a freshman and, at the very least, see regular big minutes.

Sanogo would play a lot his freshman year here unless Ike pulls a Gill transformation over the summer.

Sanogo would play a lot his freshman year here unless Ike pulls a Gill transformation over the summer.
I think a lot of people are undestimating what kind of time Mamu might get at the 5 if Samuel raises his game. I thought Samuel was a raw and tough of a player that we've seen here in a while. With some hard work I think he can be really good and force Mamu to get more minutes at 5 than people think.

Reactions: Setonwestern
Whatever happened to wanting to come in, work hard, and earn your spot. If a player is as good as they think they are, if you work hard in practice you will earn the minutes.

You're right, it was my fault back in January for believing we'd have a postseason. Me and just about everyone else. Apparently I'm not allowed to feel unsatisfied though. Who knew?

Are you serious?

I was referring to your complaint that insiders were bullish on Sanogo committing to SHU.

I think a lot of people are undestimating what kind of time Mamu might get at the 5 if Samuel raises his game. I thought Samuel was a raw and tough of a player that we've seen here in a while. With some hard work I think he can be really good and force Mamu to get more minutes at 5 than people think.

That might be a bit much to expect from Samuel as a sophomore.

Reactions: Piratz
We've been here before(how many times?)and it doesn't end well. Game Over, Man. Close, But No.

Just wish we didn't have several posters a while back saying their sources told them it was "a sure thing", or "close to done" or some variation of that. Of course many of us(myself included) foolishly believed it, and ran with it, because we wanted to really believe something great in these difficult times - and after having no postseason.

To those using their "sources" to be the first to break Big News: consider the times we are currently living in. The last thing we need right now is to have our hopes built up, only to be kicked down. That doesn't help anything....least of all now. There's nothing wrong with posting "cautiously optimistic", or "we should make his top five" and leaving it at that. I appreciate the posters who use a little restraint. Thanks.
For what it’s worth, the posters with sources never used language that strong. Nothing even close to “close to done” or “a sure thing”. There was optimism, but don’t confuse that with the other posters who constantly tout how good xyz class is gonna look.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
For what it’s worth, the posters with sources never used language that strong. Nothing even close to “close to done” or “a sure thing”. There was optimism, but don’t confuse that with the other posters who constantly tout how good xyz class is gonna look.
Exactly. Posters with sources mention what they know or heard and then move one. They are generally not the ones posting threads a half hour later about how the lineup will look with player X, how many minutes player x will get, etc, etc.

edited to note that there’s nothing wrong with doing that. This is after all a message board. It just may give a higher sense of confidence than the poster relaying info might have had.

Last edited:
Willard plays the minutes straight up. Work hard, you get time. It’s what I believe has made this team despite the things that may hold us back. If you look at the top teams and the rankings of their players prior to signing, we are probably near the bottom of the pile. But we win. So what do we want? If we don’t land a player because KW didn’t guarantee minutes, do we beat up Willard? I think like everything we watch and hope for the best.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Willard plays the minutes straight up. Work hard, you get time. It’s what I believe has made this team despite the things that may hold us back. If you look at the top teams and the rankings of their players prior to signing, we are probably near the bottom of the pile. But we win. So what do we want? If we don’t land a player because KW didn’t guarantee minutes, do we beat up Willard? I think like everything we watch and hope for the best.
Working hard doesn't necessarily mean you're putting the best team on the court. Lawrence Taylor did not work the hardest of giant players on the practice field however his ability far exceeded anyone else in the league. In this scenario a HOF player would have been relegated to the bench on Willard's team. You say we win but we've never gotten to the second weekend of the tournament under Willard. This isn't a crap on Willard post. I want him as our coach but here needs to do a better job of recruiting even if it means promising minutes to get top talent in here and overlook subpar practice for superior talent.

Reactions: deheremike
Maybe can get a few more mins with Sandro and (maybe) Samuel at the 3. But I don’t think KW will promise anything. Next year we can be good with or without Sanogo. But we need to land him for a lot of reasons
he rebounds pretty well

didn’t see enough of him driving or with back to basket or otherwise banging underneath

But, very high ceiling = Samuel

He was a really good recruit to land for us (prob on potential alone)

The guy is TALL, Lengthy, and can hit 3's as well in regards to Samuel, he has athleticism and skill.... will be great in another year

Reactions: Bluebeard
Working hard doesn't necessarily mean you're putting the best team on the court. Lawrence Taylor did not work the hardest of giant players on the practice field however his ability far exceeded anyone else in the league. In this scenario a HOF player would have been relegated to the bench on Willard's team. You say we win but we've never gotten to the second weekend of the tournament under Willard. This isn't a crap on Willard post. I want him as our coach but here needs to do a better job of recruiting even if it means promising minutes to get top talent in here and overlook subpar practice for superior talent.
I have to totally disagree with this.

He needs to promise minutes and overlook subpar practice to get better recruits? This goes against everything he’s built here. You start allowing people not to work hard because they are talented and you are finished. You lose credibility and lose the respect of the team.

And LT is a terrible example. Whether he always worked hard or not, he always played hard. He played like a crazed dog!

If Willard had an LT, he’d definitely play him. What effective players has Willard not let play?

He needs to promise minutes and overlook subpar practice to get better recruits? This goes against everything he’s built here. You start allowing people not to work hard because they are talented and you are finished. You lose credibility and lose the respect of the team.

And LT is a terrible example. Whether he always worked hard or not, he always played hard. He played like a crazed dog!

If Willard had an LT, he’d definitely play him. What effective players has Willard not let play?
It's like a good friend of mine and a past SHU coach always tells me....you can't fool the players. They know exactly what is happening and why. If you play and don't deserve to you have an issue in the locker room.

That happened once in the past and destroyed a season for the Hall. It will never happen again under our present day staff.

You want to play for Kevin Willard you better show the proper effort and then of course get results.

Just to piggyback off this, an example is how Jay Wright has played his guys lately. He’s had two 5 star players in Quinerly and Antoine ride the bench regardless of how talented they are. Quinerly transferred after losing time to a player that had a high school ranking of around 200 (Gillespie). Gillespie earned it.

Yes Antoine had an injury and maybe isn’t such a great example, but Wright didn’t rush him back when he got healthy in late December/early January.

And talent and work ethic are vastly different at the college level vs. the pro ranks. 18, 19 and 20 year olds very rarely exhibit superstar talent that don’t require working hard.

Practice.....we're talking about Practice.....

I was thinking that until I saw the Michael Jordan documentary and saw how serious he took practice.

Willard does take it seriously and our players for the most part get better every year

Hard work matters but it can't be for the sake of the work. Improvement must ensue. Some kids work very hard but just do't get better. The real formula is talent developed through hard work. Without talent, the hard work has marginal benefit. Talent starts with physical attributes such as size, natural strength, agility, speed and dexterity.

Reactions: Belluno
It's like a good friend of mine and a past SHU coach always tells me....you can't fool the players. They know exactly what is happening and why. If you play and don't deserve to you have an issue in the locker room.

That happened once in the past and destroyed a season for the Hall. It will never happen again under our present day staff.

You want to play for Kevin Willard you better show the proper effort and then of course get results.
Assume you mean 14-15?

I think we would’ve had a shot at the
tournament that year if IW didn’t get hurt IMO (esp if Mobley’s serious injury didn’t have a lasting impact, which I think it did)

Without IW injury I think guys would’ve eased into their proper roles along the way....

Another guard couldn’t make ANYTHING and was frustrated; and so when IW came back he seemingly was the guy stealing minutes, creating more frustration and tension. That was my take, putting it gently because, well, time passed, and IMO 20 year olds don’t deserve serious criticism from fans.

We had some good upperclassmen that year but perhaps not enough team first attitude. so maybe my point about having a shot at the tournament is wrong ....But our talent was pretty good that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT