ADVERTISEMENT

Age catches up to us all

Obviously one of the all time greats.. Always classy and smooth. It’s a shame the injuries kept him from making that one last stand and going for a final major. He tried and trained hard but double knee surgery in 2020 and while working hard to recover needed yet another knee surgery.

20 grand slams, 8 Wimbledon titles, and the only player to win 5 straight US Opens, all amazing, legendary accomplishments. Another remarkable number, he is the player with most consecutive weeks at #1, 237 ! That’s nearly 5 years!

It was a pleasure watching him play
The era of Federer, Nadal, and Djokavic was like the era of Mays, Aaron, and Clemente.

Forgetting Mantle?
Dan, I was walking home from HS and passed a kid I knew, big NYY fan, waiting for another classmate. Radio is on. Yanks playing. He sees me and tells me McLain just grooved one so Mick could hit his 535th. Never liked that he did that.

If his legs were good and he behaved himself, who knows how much more he could have accomplished. Used to do biz with the NYAC and am thinking of to walking west on 57th St after a late appt to have a pop or two at Mick's tavern. I think it was an old Babe Ruth uni that was in a glass case as you walked in.

Last edited:
It was a pleasure watching him play
The era of Federer, Nadal, and Djokavic was like the era of Mays, Aaron, and Clemente.
Were there ever three such good tennis players at the same time as those 3?

Connors, McEnroe, Borg, and Lendl with Agassi and Sampras as youngsters.

IMO Top 10

1. Djokovic

2. Nadal

3. Federer

4. Sampras

5. Laver

6. Borg

7. Lendl

8. Connors

9. McEnroe

10. Agassi

ADVERTISEMENT