ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Karaban to withdraw from NBA draft, return to UConn

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer

Alex Karaban announced Wednesday that he is withdrawing from the NBA draft and will return to UConn for his junior season, boosting the Huskies' chances for a third straight national championship.

Karaban made his announcement with a post on X: "While I've enjoyed the draft process, Storrs is home. Let's run it back."

A 6-foot-9 forward, Karaban becomes one of the highest-ranked prospects to withdraw his name and return to college. He averaged 13.3 points and 5.1 rebounds last season, shooting 37.9% from 3-point range while starting 39 of 40 games for the Huskies.

Karaban scored at least 20 points on eight occasions, including 23 points and five 3-pointers in a key early March win at Marquette. He also came up big in the Final Four, making a pair of 3-pointers and finishing with 14 points and eight boards against Alabama to help UConn advance to the title game.

It was a step forward from his freshman campaign, when he started 38 games and averaged 9.3 points and 4.5 rebounds.

Karaban is the lone returning starter for the Huskies, as projected lottery picks Stephon Castle and Donovan Clingan left early for the NBA draft and senior guards Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer used up their eligibility. All five players were invited to the NBA draft combine.

Coach Dan Hurley reloaded the UConn roster in the offseason, adding transfers Aidan Mahaney (Saint Mary's) and Tarris Reed (Michigan) as well as signing top-10 prospect Liam McNeeley last month. Rotation players Samson Johnson, Hassan Diarra, Solomon Ball and Jaylin Stewart are all back and expected to make strides next season.

Karaban was ranked No. 36 in ESPN's NBA draft rankings, and his return likely vaults UConn into the top five of ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25.

Reactions: SHUSource and CL82
I like him as a player - he plays hard, hits the three and boards. @CL82 must be over the moon tonight. Karaban is the ultimate glue guy. Makes UCONN so much better as he brings experience to a young and inexperienced group with portal dudes filling key roles. Will be interesting to watch. I wonder if Karaban would have been best suited to going pro this year. Going into a third year, the pro scouts are going to start to seeing warts in his game. He gets to be the guy. Interesting decision but he is certainly going to make more bank in Storrs than in the G-League or overseas.

Reactions: CL82
I like him as a player - he plays hard, hits the three and boards. @CL82 must be over the moon tonight. Karaban is the ultimate glue guy. Makes UCONN so much better as he brings experience to a young and inexperienced group with portal dudes filling key roles. Will be interesting to watch. I wonder if Karaban would have been best suited to going pro this year. Going into a third year, the pro scouts are going to start to seeing warts in his game. He gets to be the guy. Interesting decision but he is certainly going to make more bank in Storrs than in the G-League or overseas.
He said that he would have been drafted. Predictions were low first round to high second round. If it were first round I think he would've gone. He did say that he feels confident that he will be a first round pick next year and he knows what he has to work on his game.

Yeah, I'm definitely happy. I said it in my original post that on top of everything he brings on the court he also brings leadership and continuity. I would've been happy for him had he turned pro, but I am ecstatic he's back.

Reactions: SHUSource
I dont think they will be preseason #1, in the USA or the Big East. Losing 4 out of 5 starters is a huge thing to overcome, even for a Seton Hall graduate.

What were they picked by our geniuses last year, oh yeah, 3...just ahead of Nova and SJU

Like him a lot and, like Jackson, thought he could have been an NBA second team rotation guy right away.
Last two years he as been the 3rd or 4th guy in the starting five. Wonder how he will shift into being THE guy this year.

Reactions: CL82
I dont think they will be preseason #1, in the USA or the Big East. Losing 4 out of 5 starters is a huge thing to overcome, even for a Seton Hall graduate.

What were they picked by our geniuses last year, oh yeah, 3...just ahead of Nova and SJU
In all fairness to the preseason coaches poll, they got 4 out of 5 when picking the top half of the league. They had Marquette, Creighton and Uconn in the top 3 (granted Uconn 3rd) and those were the top 3. They had St. John's 5 and they finished 5. They just missed on Nova in lieu of us.

ESPN just redid their list after the end of the withdrawal period. They have us as third after Kansas and Alabama.

Creighton 14th, Marquette 17th, Xavier 24th, and our friends on the banks of the old Raritan… # 25.

Last edited:
Ranking Uconn that high is a great compliment to Hurley and the program imo and not undeserved. But I am surprised.

Ranking Uconn that high is a great compliment to Hurley and the program imo and not undeserved. But I am surprised.
The Athletic has us at seven.

We’re at the point now where you just assume Dan Hurley’s plan will work. He has nailed roster construction the last few years and built offensive and defensive schemes ideal for his talent.

This roster doesn’t appear as talented as the last two, but underrating UConn early has also become a yearly tradition.

The Athletic has us at seven.

We’re at the point now where you just assume Dan Hurley’s plan will work. He has nailed roster construction the last few years and built offensive and defensive schemes ideal for his talent.

This roster doesn’t appear as talented as the last two, but underrating UConn early has also become a yearly tradition.
I dont disagree at all. I remain surprised. It has been a while since I have watched Uconn beat us in person so I guess that may flavor my opinion lol.

Reactions: dehere23
I dont disagree at all. I remain surprised. It has been a while since I have watched Uconn beat us in person so I guess that may flavor my opinion lol.
Kevin Hart Whatever GIF

(If losing to you guys in Newark is the price we have to pay for national championships, I can live with it.)

I know I'm in the minority but I think he is overrated. He shot the 3 at 37% but just about every one was uncontested.

I know I'm in the minority but I think he is over rated. He shot the 3 at 37% but just about every one was uncontested.
He played really well as the season continued, but we attacked him on defense every chance we got at The Rock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT