ADVERTISEMENT

All-Met: Willard, Delgado, Carrington

I really think that the job Willard did this season was better than that of the prior season. Probably a minority view but without Whitehead and coming back from the mid season disappointing record I love the job he did.

And remember, due to multiple injuries the Ish of last season was not the Ish of 2015/16.

Man i hope desi matures in his senior year. if he does he coudl be the best on the team.

and if he gets in better shape. i feel as though he missed his last 10 dunk attempts because he just couldnt jump high enough lol

Congrats to Coach, Angel, Deeno, and Desi! And I agree that Desi could be one of the better players on the team.

Reactions: Pirate64
Wonder how many three-peated? With Angel and good health gonna happen!

I really think that the job Willard did this season was better than that of the prior season. Probably a minority view but without Whitehead and coming back from the mid season disappointing record I love the job he did.

And remember, due to multiple injuries the Ish of last season was not the Ish of 2015/16.

I think he did well this year, definitely. I'd still put 2015-16 above it, but 10 BE wins and an NCAA appearance was about where we should've been with the returning roster, IMO. Even without Whitehead. Mission Accomplished and a very good job doing that.

It's never easy to do and shouldn't be taken as a given. The path we took was very difficult. It took a while to get into a flow without Whitehead and his incredible offensive usage rates. To get to 10-8 from 3-6 is huge and to be applauded. But we were also disappointing 3-6 for a reason.

Really good job by all. Disappointing final two games (BET and NCAA), but maybe we'll break through next year in the NCAA's, lol.

Last edited:
That's my point. It's easier to coach with a PG like Whitehead so it took time for the team to jell, especially playing a PG who had to sit out the priuor season and never had any interaction with his teammates until he stepped unto the court in practice.

To come back from the hole they dug when many teams might have waved the while flag was impressive. The prior season Whitehead ended the last two months as by far the best player in the league and one of the best in the country. Sure Angel was sort of in that class this season but nowhere near to the degree that Whitehead was in 2015.

From a purely coaching perspective, I completely agree. But the issue and slow start was mainly created by the lack of roster preparation in having a caddie for Whitehead or a Copeland-to-Barrett type, knowing he was going to bolt whenever he could. Especially when Thomas got into trouble even before the offseason.

We nearly got caught with our pants down again at PG (like 2012-13). Thankfully Madison Jones was out there in June and even he hadn't played in a year.

That's my fear this offseason again. We've been here before.

Reactions: catholicman
Well, we did have Thomas. But I doubt anyone thought he would burnout as he did this year. Thank God for Madison Jones. Certainly not a Big East star. But for us a last minute savior.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
lol jevon thomas sucker punched an intramural ref in the face of a game he wasnt even playing in.

LOL!!

If the staff thought that do you think he would have only been suspended?

My gut is Thomas losing a lot of minutes to Jones had something to do with him packing it in. No way he would have left if he was a major contributor.

Congrats to all. Delgado wins Haggerty and joins an impressive, elite list of Pirates who have done so.

Dan I think plenty of people were concerned about Thomas. If you've followed him since HS, as I have, you had reason to be concerned. Thank God for Madison, is right. He played beyond what I thought he'd give from what I saw at his prior stop.

Well, we did have Thomas. But I doubt anyone thought he would burnout as he did this year. Thank God for Madison Jones. Certainly not a Big East star. But for us a last minute savior.

If I could only tell you what I know. Troubled from high school and beyond. He had a lot of talent but totally wasted it because of personality issues.

Willard has upped his recruiting to the point that I doubt you will see players of his ilk here again. No more rolling of the dice on a player who is not a star who comes with major baggage. Not saying we might not take kids with some issues, most all schools do. But he would have to be very talented and someone who the staff feels they can help off the court to maximize his on the court efforts.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT