ADVERTISEMENT

An Alumni Passing

Pesto Pirate

Sophomore
Dec 27, 2007
It is with a sense of sadness, but quite honestly more a sense of relief, that I want to inform my fellow posters of the passing of my Dad, Joe Silvestri, a very proud 1951 graduate of Seton Hall University. Dad fought a courageous struggle against a rare nerve disease for more than seven years that gradually took away his ability to speak and to ultimately move.

Next to his family and friends, Dad loved Seton Hall and it's basketball team more than anything that he knew. He attributed much of the success he was able to achieve in life, to the solid Christian education he received while at the Hall. He went to many basketball games during his years at the University. He was also there in 1952 when Seton Hall won the NIT at Madison Square Garden against St John's. As a young boy, he took me to many games at Walsh. After I graduated from the school in 1978, we both became long time season ticket holders. We were both charter members of the Booster Club. We both were able to experience together the highs and lows of our trip to the Final Four in 1989. One of the happiest and proudest moments of his life was when in the early 90's, as an assistant coach of the SHU golf team that had just won the Big East Championship, he was presented with a Championship Ring, at halftime of the St. John's game in which Terry Dehere broke Nick Werkman's school scoring record. From that day forward, that ring very rarely ever left his finger.

Dad was very proud of the fact, that five out of his six children, including me, also received diplomas from the University. Further reinforcing to him, the special nature of our school. Even though he will be missed by many, I know he is definitely in a much better place now. GO DAD! GO PIRATES!

So sorry for this sad news, Pesto Pirate, but what a touching eulogy. The last time I saw your dad was when we sat together at the Booster Club dinner at Don Pepe a couple years ago. I think he was already struggling a bit, at least with his hearing, but it was clear that it was still the place he wanted to be. You're a very fortunate son to share so many terrific memories together with your dad of this thing ours we all love, Seton Hall basketball.

God bless you and your family.

So sorry to hear of your loss, your Dad was a great Seton Hall man/fan.

May the wonderful memories you have of this loving man sustain you now and all the days to come.

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Whenever someone loses a parent, just for a moment he is only 12 years old again.

It is one of life's toughest experiences.

Your dad sounds like a great man and a good Christian.

May God have mercy on his soul.

And may He add grace to your families' lives to bear the loss.

I am sure he will put in a good word for the Hall next season!

Bob,, my deepest sympathies to you and your wonderful family on the loss of your Dad. I always enjoyed the passion he had for the Hall and his resounding voice at the games during his prime. He will be missed by all that knew and respected him

So sorry for your loss.

Though he's gone, his presence will always be with you.

It sounds like he was a great guy and a great Seton Hall man. .

Pesto

Very sorry for your loss.

That is a great story about your dad....one that I am sure can sit proudly among your many great memories that you will have forever.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Bob. It was a pleasure meeting your father a few years ago when you stopped by our hotel before we all headed to a Seton Hall game and he was proudly wearing his ring. Prayers to you and your family and may he rest in peace.

Pesto,

I'm sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your entire family. It sounds as if you had a special relationship with your father. May you cherish all of the fond memories.

Bob, we are so sorry and have our heartfelt sympathy.
Yes knights, they did have a warm and loving relationship...our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Tony and JoAnne

I will keep him in my prayers. You will always have cherished moments to reflect upon. RIP

Sorry for your loss. Meet your father several times at Booster Club events. You could see he has great passion for SHU and was proud of that BE ring. Good bless.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Bob So very sorry for your great loss---truly a fine gentleman-----another highlight was when he was presented a signed basketball as the alumni of the day at one of the home Seton Hall games-----at the get together afterward he was NOT going to give that ball up ----our prayers go out to you,Mary and the girls as you make your way through these next few days God Bless

I'm very sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I knew Joe well as an original member of the Seton Hall Booster Club. He traveled with us on many of our road trips to away games as did your mom. He certainly will be missed. May he Rest in Peace!!!

Tom K

Pesto Pirate, your original post is a wonderful tribute to what sounds like a great man. That's a tremendous legacy and I'm sure so many great memories.

Best of thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this time.

Thank you all of you for all the very kind words stated - They are all greatly appreciated!

I have already been contacted by some known posters requesting funeral arrangements. They have now been finalized, so I have listed them below:

Quinn Hopping Funeral Home
145 East Mt. Pleasant Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
973-992-1414

Viewing - Monday, 03/30 - 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM & 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Funeral - Our Lady of Lourdes Church
1 Eagle Rock Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
Tuesday, 03/31
Mass - 11:00 AM

In lieu of flowers - Please make a donation to the Seton Hall University Alumni Fund in the name of Joseph Silvestri

Pesto, I am terribly sorry to hear of the loss of your father. Based on the conversations you've had with me Saturday mornings at the local farmer's market, it sounds like he is in a much better place.

Pesto, Very sorry, but he will always be with you, and I believe that you will see him again.

Very sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. As a charter member of the Booster Club as well, I recall going on many trips with you and your dad. What a great fan and wonderful person to have know for all these years. Our deepest sympathy to you and all your family members.

Jim A. and Mary Lou

Bob I will always remember your Dads passion watching the Pirates when we sat close to you at the Arena. He was a huge and dedicated fan and we used to talk about the team together before the game and at halftime. And you did a great job getting him to games when his health was failing. You took great care of him and are obviously a good son. God bless your Dad and your family. May he rest on peace.

Originally posted by Pesto Pirate:
It is with a sense of sadness, but quite honestly more a sense of relief, that I want to inform my fellow posters of the passing of my Dad, Joe Silvestri,
Bob, deepest condolences. Joe was a good man and he raised an equally good son.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Between what you wrote here and the obituary I just read on-line, all I can say is that I wish I'd been at your house as a guest for some dinner-time conversations. They must have been interesting. He must have had a thousand stories to tell. I would have loved to hear about the time he spent working in Tehran, and his experience in the Navy.

May God bless your dad.

Sorry for your loss Bob.

I got first hand knowledge of how to act with love and compassion when watching you with your father. You are a great son to your father and terrific inspiration to others.

God Bless you Pesto!

Go PIRATES!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT