ADVERTISEMENT

An honest assessment of Holloway’s first year……

Hall91

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
I want to see Shaheen succeed here as much as anyone and I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for as long as I can, but here are some thoughts:

The Good:
* Shaheen was able to get his D first style in place with this team as evidenced by the point we were one of the best defensive teams in the conference
* Definite improvement seen in Tyrese Samuel
* I ended up having very low expectations for the team after what I had seen play out in Nov/early Dec; went as far as thinking we’d be under 5 wins in conference. So he exceeded my expectation FWIW
* Getting Ndefo here was key as he made significant contributions. Without him, given Yetna’s injury we would have been screwed.
* Adjustments made given our injury situation worked as well as they could

The Not so good:
* Game management needs work; TOs need to be called more timely, substitutions need improvement.
* The amount of low IQ mistakes still going on late in the season makes me wonder how much film these players review and how Shaheen is teaching.
* I think Shaheen’s hands are tied on the NIL front which has impacted recruiting. I’ll give him some slack there, but I still question if our Asst staff is up for the task at this level. EAsier to find diamonds in the rough at St Peter’s, but it won’t be easy now

So A mixed bag in the first season. Hopefully we can get enough NIL flowing to get some more players in here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News