ADVERTISEMENT

Asking for your prayers

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
Hello LOTS readership,
I know many of you can't stand much of my opinions and advocacy points. I ask for your thoughts and prayers as I am undergoing a procedure tomorrow that will impact the rest of my life. I was diagnosed with a maligancy in my Thyroid region in early Feb. It is papillary carcinoma that measures 15mm across along my lower right pole towards the isthmus. It is a well-differentiated cancer. A CT scan of the neck region and a lymph node mapping ultrasound in recent weeks have shown this growth to be isolated with no impact on the lymph nodes. The medical recommendation was surgical intervention with complete removal of the thyroid gland.
I have seen an endocrinologist in recent weeks. Once the gland is removed and it goes for study along with particular levels and markers taken from me weeks post op will determine the potential next phase of radioactive iodine treatment.
All things considering, I am fortunate that this was found at an early stage of growth. Back story to that. Week of Christmas, I was in a WFH enviroment and started getting a weird sensation when I was swallowing food and drink on the lower left side of my neck as if something was pressing into esophagus when I passed food or drink down. I had never had this type of sensation. It was more annoying than painful. On Christmas Eve I decided to go to an Urgent Care Center. I was seen by a Physicians Assistant and while not much was done besides q and a and a short exam she sent me off with a script for a Thyroid Ultrasound for my peace of mind. I got it done early the next week. The radiology report went to the wrong bureau of UCC and I didn't hear back. I called both the UCC and radiology group the next week. Radiology is well dispersed across my local area so I ended up going to pick up the report and imaging on a weekday off day I had. The scale used for radiology is on a 1 to 5 range. My study was rated a 4. Calcification in middle of nodule, specific characteristics that trend towards maliganant vs benign. This news I broke to myself as I never heard from UCC until after I knew the radiologist report already. When I was called back it was said I should go see an ENT asap. I saw an ENT the following Tuesday and he recommended the Radiology recommendation of a FNA Biopsy. I had that done the Tuesday afternoon after the snow storm in early Feb in New Brunswick. I found out two days later. I ended up with a bacterial infection from the biopsy site that infiltrated into my body and was on oral antibiotics to treat that.
So my last few months been doctors, diagnostic tests, lab results.
I have no hesitation about doing this procedure as prognosis rate is high for my age range.
I know I owe Hall85 an answer and I feel my time the healthcare and health insurance space with this siutation is a good recent perspective to write about.
My surgery will be early in the morning and I have a hold in the hospital until hopefully the next morning. Labs will be drawn on me every 8 hours and then my surgeon will make rounds Wed AM.
Risks of this surgery could be parathyroid complications and voice and vocal cord disability.

Sounds like a good prognosis. I will be praying for an uncomplicated surgery, a comfortable recovery, and long term good health. Be well and thank you for sharing such personal details, and for the humility to ask for prayers.

thats for all that info. sounds like youll kick its ass.

does make me wonder, did they ever have you do a swallow test? did you ever have food get stuck going down or go down slow because of it? ive noticed a lot of people having various issues and this is one prognosis ive never heard of. glad you caught it! gotta be dilligent takikg charge of your own health, even when the healthcare systems seem to f things up. wishing for a fast recovery.

Good luck with your surgery, hope you have a quick recovery and prayers for your long term health.

Good luck with the surgery. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Look forward to your comments about the journey when you get back.

Reactions: Abbo71 and SHUMA04
Of course. (Btw I also included you in my reparations in front of the Blessed Sacrament last week at the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception on campus. If it weren't for you, my group and I wouldn't have been there.)

If you are Catholic, or otherwise inclined for any reason, I'd highly recommend asking for the intercession of Our Lady of Lourdes (the Immaculate Conception) for your healing.

I'll add you to my prayer list. Best of luck with the surgery and post surgery stuff too. It's good that they caught this so early. All the best to you!

Hello LOTS readership,
I know many of you can't stand much of my opinions and advocacy points. I ask for your thoughts and prayers as I am undergoing a procedure tomorrow that will impact the rest of my life. I was diagnosed with a maligancy in my Thyroid region in early Feb. It is papillary carcinoma that measures 15mm across along my lower right pole towards the isthmus. It is a well-differentiated cancer. A CT scan of the neck region and a lymph node mapping ultrasound in recent weeks have shown this growth to be isolated with no impact on the lymph nodes. The medical recommendation was surgical intervention with complete removal of the thyroid gland.
I have seen an endocrinologist in recent weeks. Once the gland is removed and it goes for study along with particular levels and markers taken from me weeks post op will determine the potential next phase of radioactive iodine treatment.
All things considering, I am fortunate that this was found at an early stage of growth. Back story to that. Week of Christmas, I was in a WFH enviroment and started getting a weird sensation when I was swallowing food and drink on the lower left side of my neck as if something was pressing into esophagus when I passed food or drink down. I had never had this type of sensation. It was more annoying than painful. On Christmas Eve I decided to go to an Urgent Care Center. I was seen by a Physicians Assistant and while not much was done besides q and a and a short exam she sent me off with a script for a Thyroid Ultrasound for my peace of mind. I got it done early the next week. The radiology report went to the wrong bureau of UCC and I didn't hear back. I called both the UCC and radiology group the next week. Radiology is well dispersed across my local area so I ended up going to pick up the report and imaging on a weekday off day I had. The scale used for radiology is on a 1 to 5 range. My study was rated a 4. Calcification in middle of nodule, specific characteristics that trend towards maliganant vs benign. This news I broke to myself as I never heard from UCC until after I knew the radiologist report already. When I was called back it was said I should go see an ENT asap. I saw an ENT the following Tuesday and he recommended the Radiology recommendation of a FNA Biopsy. I had that done the Tuesday afternoon after the snow storm in early Feb in New Brunswick. I found out two days later. I ended up with a bacterial infection from the biopsy site that infiltrated into my body and was on oral antibiotics to treat that.
So my last few months been doctors, diagnostic tests, lab results.
I have no hesitation about doing this procedure as prognosis rate is high for my age range.
I know I owe Hall85 an answer and I feel my time the healthcare and health insurance space with this siutation is a good recent perspective to write about.
My surgery will be early in the morning and I have a hold in the hospital until hopefully the next morning. Labs will be drawn on me every 8 hours and then my surgeon will make rounds Wed AM.
Risks of this surgery could be parathyroid complications and voice and vocal cord disability.
God bless and good luck

Will pray for you. Best of luck for quick recovery. You got this. Positive vibes.

Best of luck.I had surgery in 2014 for malignant tumor near my parotid gland on the left side of my neck where any nicking of the many nerves in that area could result in paralysis of the left side of my face. Lucky for me Doctor Ganley recognized as the best neck and head surgeon at Memorial Sloan Kettering performed the operation flawlessly.I hoe you have a similar outcome.

I wish for you the best results of surgery and subsequent tests.
Know that your not going thru this alone.

Sorry to read this, Matt. Wishing the very best for you. Please let us know how you are doing after the procedure

Wish you the best. You may drive me nuts some times but we’re in this together and I hope for many more inane posts!

keep your spirits high, beat this shit, be back healthy and soon.

Best of luck. Here's hoping for an easy surgery with no complications and a speedy recovery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hello everyone, I appreciate all the kind thoughts and positive encouragement.

I am upstairs in a room for overnight and out of recovery. The surgeon told my sister that operation went routine. I am currently on clear liquids diet so just finished apple juice ice water veggie broth and waiting for Italian ice to defrost a bit. I believe I will pass on the jello. I have two drains in me currently. I was able to stand walk and go urinate already.

For those interested, this took place at Saint Peters in New Brunswick.

Aim is to get home tomorrow but labs and Dr. Rounds in AM will determine.

Again thanks so much for the positive thoughts sent in my direction.

Excellent and thanks for the update. Sounds positive, take care of yourself.

Pure chance that I saw this, since I never venture to this board, but I'm glad I did. I'm late to the scene, but I'm so glad your surgery seems to have gone well. Continued prayers and good thoughts!

good to see you back on the board.. So two pieces of good news

Morning LOTS, I have been up since 430 but feel I got restful sleep. My doctor just made a morning round. One of my drains was removed. Drain discharge as lessened since late last evening. She has office hours until noon and will come back to see me after that with the hope the other drain can be removed and I can be discharged 6 to 8 hours from now. One of the surgical PA in the practice is in the Seton Hall graduate medicine program. She came to see me yesterday and was with Dr again this morning. She was also a SHU undergrad and is on pace for her masters coming up in May. I wish her a bright future as a medical professional.

I am waiting on breakfast to come. I have a saline dextrose drip and tylenol and an antibiotic been mixed in. Already had my first dose of synthetic hormone very small pill I am on 100 micro grams daily.

If you can, please keep my roommate Anthony in your thoughts and prayers. He came in with a twisted portion of intestine. They decided against surgery. He has been here 5 days. He is finally eating solid foods again and will have to show breakfast and lunch is kept down before he is discharged. He is a bladder cancer survivor of 9 years and lives with his wife. Both in early 80s. They have two grown daughters and one grandchild. They also believe is has developing kidney stones and he feels he will need to be back on another trip to handle that.

The lead nurse on the morning shift has a student nurse assistant who is in an accelerated nursing program at georgian court affiliated with Seton Hall. Ironically she attended the same high school as me in Ocean County but 10 years younger. I was allowed to lap around the floor on foot and she was my chaperone.

Just get better NYShoreGuy -- we need You healthy--My Prayers

Hope you are doing well Shoreguy and sending you my prayers,

Get Well fast! Good luck to you. Think positive and you will have the strength to beat it.

So how about an update? How are you doing?
Soreness in the throat from tube removal is pretty much gone. I feel incision site when cough or sneeze. I did not use any tylenol since the IV was removed Wednesday and never filled the narcotic prescribed to me. Yesterday I started getting little jab pains in tips of right hand fingers and right leg toes and today have the same on left side toes. So this seems to be all calcium level regulation. I am getting blood drawn on Monday after I will have had extra calcium and D3 intake since Wednesday.

I don't have any significant reaction yet from the levothyroxine that is taken early each morning on an empty stomach and I dont eat for 2 to 3 hours from that point.

My big stitch is coming out Tuesday afternoon. While I can probably travel and return to work middle of next week, my new boss is letting me have a WFH arrangement until 4/19. I sought to come back sooner but he said it would be grounds for insubordination.

I walked inside a super market yesterday. I am limited in physical exertion by doctor orders that I should not even lift more than 10 lbs for a few weeks. I am not allowed chiropractic cervical manipulation until early May.

I said I am fortunate. It was a well differentiated carcinoma that is 1 of 2 very treatable for that gland when found early. The PA on 12/24 had the foresight to send me away with a Thyroid ultrasound script.

The preoperative unit, surgical team, recovery unit and surgical ICU staffs were so caring and considerate. I plan to give a modicum of gratitude back to them in the coming weeks. Of course they all did way far more for me than I can ever do for any of them. I also started outreach to the physicians assistant who saw me on 12/24. I came to find out she tends to be a roving healthcare professional around central NJ. I do hope to connect with her. Without her handing me a thyroid ultrasound script this is not discovered. I have seen two ENTs, a PCP and an endocrinologist. The nodule was so small without an imaging report they would not have discovered on a palpation exam.

If there is any advice I could give to anyone, it is don't blow off a strange occurrence that your body experiences. Go get it looked at and checked out. Your health is the greatest wealth there is.

Soreness in the throat from tube removal is pretty much gone. I feel incision site when cough or sneeze. I did not use any tylenol since the IV was removed Wednesday and never filled the narcotic prescribed to me. Yesterday I started getting little jab pains in tips of right hand fingers and right leg toes and today have the same on left side toes. So this seems to be all calcium level regulation. I am getting blood drawn on Monday after I will have had extra calcium and D3 intake since Wednesday.

I don't have any significant reaction yet from the levothyroxine that is taken early each morning on an empty stomach and I dont eat for 2 to 3 hours from that point.

My big stitch is coming out Tuesday afternoon. While I can probably travel and return to work middle of next week, my new boss is letting me have a WFH arrangement until 4/19. I sought to come back sooner but he said it would be grounds for insubordination.

I walked inside a super market yesterday. I am limited in physical exertion by doctor orders that I should not even lift more than 10 lbs for a few weeks. I am not allowed chiropractic cervical manipulation until early May.

I said I am fortunate. It was a well differentiated carcinoma that is 1 of 2 very treatable for that gland when found early. The PA on 12/24 had the foresight to send me away with a Thyroid ultrasound script.

The preoperative unit, surgical team, recovery unit and surgical ICU staffs were so caring and considerate. I plan to give a modicum of gratitude back to them in the coming weeks. Of course they all did way far more for me than I can ever do for any of them. I also started outreach to the physicians assistant who saw me on 12/24. I came to find out she tends to be a roving healthcare professional around central NJ. I do hope to connect with her. Without her handing me a thyroid ultrasound script this is not discovered. I have seen two ENTs, a PCP and an endocrinologist. The nodule was so small without an imaging report they would not have discovered on a palpation exam.

If there is any advice I could give to anyone, it is don't blow off a strange occurrence that your body experiences. Go get it looked at and checked out. Your health is the greatest wealth there is.
good advice better be safe than sorry! MRIs arent that easy to get. glad your PA came up big.

sounds like a lot going on. i always found taking probiotics helps with recovery after surgery. pro tip.

good advice better be safe than sorry! MRIs arent that easy to get. glad your PA came up big.

sounds like a lot going on. i always found taking probiotics helps with recovery after surgery. pro tip.
I have not had an MRI this entire time. I had an original ultrasound. The thyroid ultrasound was a 7 minute procedure. Then a FNA Biopsy with ultrasound guidance which took hurdles to get approved. I also recently had a CT scan with contrast and a lymph node mapping ultrasound.

What I wonder is would another healthcare professional had just sent me home and tell me to call back or go see another doctor if that symptom lingered. Also how many others would have said to themselves ah I will be fine in a few days I don't need this test.

I got a bacterial infection from the biopsy that needed oral antibiotics to treat took culterelle then. On antibiotics again now out of an abundance of caution and again with culterelle. I really want to wake culterelle part of my daily routine going forward.

Reactions: SHUSA
I have not had an MRI this entire time. I had an original ultrasound. The thyroid ultrasound was a 7 minute procedure. Then a FNA Biopsy with ultrasound guidance which took hurdles to get approved. I also recently had a CT scan with contrast and a lymph node mapping ultrasound.

What I wonder is would another healthcare professional had just sent me home and tell me to call back or go see another doctor if that symptom lingered. Also how many others would have said to themselves ah I will be fine in a few days I don't need this test.

I got a bacterial infection from the biopsy that needed oral antibiotics to treat took culterelle then. On antibiotics again now out of an abundance of caution and again with culterelle. I really want to wake culterelle part of my daily routine going forward.
yea youre right. its all about cost and effort than going in depth to find the issue. its worrying to think of. but it is what it is. sometimes your gut feeling is right (mine is) but you have to go through hoops to get tests done.

another pro tip: be very dramatic at the doctors. if something doesmt bother you too much but you want it treated, pretend its killing you. that dibilitating shoulder pain that comes and goes, pretend its active.

goodluck being on probiotics forever, talk about cost lol. and ive found this to be interesting in inderstanding how to use them effectively. dunno if its true or not: https://www.chinesemedicinedoc.com/probiotics-strains-are-important/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT