ADVERTISEMENT

BE Next Season

SPK145

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Now that the dust has mostly settled, here's how I see the BE in tiers. I don't really see the BE being much of a national player (I only see Creighton as Top 25 pre-season) but inside the conference has gotten tougher.

My take on the BE next season (tiers in alphabetical order):

Tier 1 = Creighton

Tier 2 = Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, Xavier, UCONN

Tier 3 = Butler, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette. St. John's

Now that the dust has mostly settled, here's how I see the BE in tiers. I don't really see the BE being much of a national player (I only see Creighton as Top 25 pre-season) but inside the conference has gotten tougher.

Tier 1 = Creighton

its going to take awhile to get used to not seeing Jay Wright on the Nova sidelines

Wright certainly left you guys in great shape
He did. Kyle did a great job re-recruiting Whitmore, Armstrong and Hausen. Jay's last class may be one of his strongest. Whitmore and Armstrong playing well for USA team this summer. Hausen is a SHOOTER.

Getting Daniels back with Slater, Dixon gives a good experience coming back with Moore hopefully returning by league play. Watch for Longino to really come on as well.

Hoping for more growth from Patterson, Njoku. Baby Arch and Brizzi will battle for backuo ball handling mins until Moore is back. I think Armstrong starts the season at pg.

Reactions: RLNJ13
You may be ranked that high but that doesn't mean you are Top 15-20. Villanova will come back to the pack this year after the player/coaching/injury losses.
We will see but there is A TON of talent on this team And dont discount Neptune and this staff that has been in place for a while. Of course losing the best in the business hurts, but Nova will be fine in the long run...just like other big programs after losing great coaches (Duke, Unc, Michigan, Arizona; etc).

Reactions: Jwcacciola
its going to take awhile to get used to not seeing Jay Wright on the Nova sidelines
Going to be an adjustment. Good program historically even without Wright, but they’ve been arguably the BEST program in the country the past decade. You can’t take him off the day to day (even though he’s physically still on campus) and stay where they’ve been IMO. And I don’t think Neptune is Wright.

Neptune may be great in time I guess, who knows.

Going to be an adjustment. Good program historically even without Wright, but they’ve been arguably the BEST program in the country the past decade. You can’t take him off the day to day (even though he’s physically still on campus) and stay where they’ve been IMO. And I don’t think Neptune is Wright.

Neptune may be great in time I guess, who knows.
Definitely no replacing Jay. But Kyle was the perfect guy to come in and he is set up for a very strong start with the continuity in place on staff, returning players, new NIL program and a great class coming in. Kyle is a GREAT recruiter...probably the best on Jay's staff through the years. His personality lights up a room.

i think you’re selling Nova short Steve. Assuming Moore is back early enough in the season and is 100%, the core of Daniels, Slater and Dixon all made up a Final 4 team. biggest Question mark is how much of a factor Wright is on the sidelines. I think it’s significant but still see Nova being preseason top 10

Reactions: ceballoj
It’s not just Jay Wright that you lose. Best player Colin G, 2nd best for at least early on with injury and Samuels.

I think Nova will end up top 25 but barely with many of the freshman leading the way against more experienced teams in NCAA.

Definitely no replacing Jay. But Kyle was the perfect guy to come in and he is set up for a very strong start with the continuity in place on staff, returning players, new NIL program and a great class coming in. Kyle is a GREAT recruiter...probably the best on Jay's staff through the years. His personality lights up a room.
Did you see the feature on Neptune that Mike Jensen did in the Inquirer last week? He went back to his old neighborhood in Brooklyn and really talked about his roots and how he came up. I didn't know that much about him, but it was really good.

Obviously, you guys are heading into a transitional season, but that doesn't mean a bad one. Jay is gone and lots of new faces replace very familiar ones and I'm sure there will be some stumbles, but I'm pretty sure by March, that team is going to be a pretty good one. Maybe not vintage Villanova, but not a team you'd like to see in your bracket.

Tier 1 = Creighton

Generally agree with this breakdown.

Actually three, maybe four teams in preseason top 25–. Creighton, Nova, UCONN and maybe X.

Agree SHU anyehere 3-6.

interesting bottom teams to watch—
Gtown can only go up;
Marquette— if I recall correctly they were tailing off as the season wore on, can Shaka’s system really hold up over a full season vs top teams and now Lewis is gone.
St Johns —same question about Anderson’s style and not sold on Curbello, he had the concussion but he was never a good shooter.

We will see but there is A TON of talent on this team And dont discount Neptune and this staff that has been in place for a while. Of course losing the best in the business hurts, but Nova will be fine in the long run...just like other big programs after losing great coaches (Duke, Unc, Michigan, Arizona; etc).
Nova is very talented. If Jay was coaching I would pick them to win. I would not be shocked to see Nova win the BE if Moore is healthy by January.

Nova is very talented. If Jay was coaching I would pick them to win. I would not be shocked to see Nova win the BE if Moore is healthy by January.
Creighton is by far the favorite. Obviously a lot more unknowns for Nova. Excited to see Whitmore and Armstrong suit up.

I will also say that i am looking forward to seeing Neptune and Shaheen grow in the coming years.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If folks are right about the talent, could be an interesting case study of how much the coach impacts performance.

Creighton is by far the favorite. Obviously a lot more unknowns for Nova. Excited to see Whitmore and Armstrong suit up.

I will also say that i am looking forward to seeing Neptune and Shaheen grow in the coming years.
Having never actually seen Armstrong play in person, I’m also excited (and as a Hall fan expecting to be depressed) to watch him play the next couple of years. He just seems like a point guard that gets it and will fall in line with the lineage Villanova has been producing at the position the last couple of decades.

Moore is going to be a big loss….. a nine month recovery gets him back in January, and then how long till he is 100 percent?
With Lewis gone, Moore is the best player in the league if healthy. I think he's probably that even if Lewis returned. So, yes, it is a huge loss, and if I'm the kid (and Nova) I'm not taking any chances with him coming back until he's 1000% good off that injury, because the kid is a potential NBA guard.

I still think they'll be good because of the returning core, even if they miss Jay. With Moore out, I could see Daniels taking a massive leap numbers-wise and really having a breakout season. He's a helluva player. Slater is a do-everything great all around piece and defender too, and Dixon has improved greatly over the years, so I think he'll be a force offensively. Will be interesting to see if any of the young kids can make some immediate contributions.

With Lewis gone, Moore is the best player in the league if healthy. I think he's probably that even if Lewis returned. So, yes, it is a huge loss, and if I'm the kid (and Nova) I'm not taking any chances with him coming back until he's 1000% good off that injury, because the kid is a potential NBA guard.

I still think they'll be good because of the returning core, even if they miss Jay. With Moore out, I could see Daniels taking a massive leap numbers-wise and really having a breakout season. He's a helluva player. Slater is a do-everything great all around piece and defender too, and Dixon has improved greatly over the years, so I think he'll be a force offensively. Will be interesting to see if any of the young kids can make some immediate contributions.
Speaking of the young kids, here is a clip of Armstrong to Whitmore at USAU18 practice. Hope to see a lot of this in the future.

Tier 1 = Creighton, Villanova

Tier 2 = Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, UConn, Xavier

Tier 3 = Butler, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette

Reactions: Hall91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT