ADVERTISEMENT

BE schedule is out

First glance looks like 11-9 hopefully a bit better. It depends on what the other teams in the conference measure up too.

Big East fans don't really care about college football.
I'd disagree, and I think we'll also loose a ton of unaffiliated couch surfers who would otherwise tune into our game, but the lure of bowl games (particularly for gambling purposes) is very, very strong.

This board is nothing close to representative of the sports viewing audience out there.

Reactions: TomD82
The FBS games will be on Dec 31 and Jan 10th. Those are the most watched college bowl games now. The other New Years day games draw viewers but not anything like they used to.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
A college aged NittanyPirate would be in very rough shape running up and down a bball court on New Year’s Day. Hopefully our guys are on better behavior.

The FBS games will be on Dec 31 and Jan 10th. Those are the most watched college bowl games now. The other New Years day games draw viewers but not anything like they used to.

Exactly. New Years Day bowls aren’t what they used to be.

My biggest watch that day during recent years has been the Password episode of the Odd Couple marathon.

That has changed things, but you still have the Fiesta, Rose, and Sugar Bowls on Jan, 1, in addition to the Citrus and Outback, the ratings for all of which will dwarf ours. The Big East matchups will present the average viewer with an attractive "flip-to" during commercials of the bowl games.

Reactions: Section112
That has changed things, but you still have the Fiesta, Rose, and Sugar Bowls on Jan, 1, in addition to the Citrus and Outback, the ratings for all of which will dwarf ours. The Big East matchups will present the average viewer with an attractive "flip-to" during commercials of the bowl games.

College football games always dwarf basketball games in ratings. Doesn't mean a thing.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
You no longer have to be any good to make a bowl game. Everyone gets to go but that doesn’t mean everyone else has to watch. College football season basically ends for me when college basketball season starts.

We've got to do better against Nova and Creighton this year. Can't lose all 4 to them again. The Saturday January 8th vs UConn game could see a huge crowd at Prudential.
I hope we don't even lose to Creighton once this year, they're in major youth movement mode (although their recruiting class was top 10 in the country) and I want some revenge on the past couple seasons!

I think my favorite thing about this conference schedule is getting to play Providence at The Dunk on 12/29. From a calendar perspective, that should hopefully be a pretty dry day and the court won't turn into a slipping hazard 🙄

While the early bowl games will be higher rated than any basketball games, the three early games (Outback, Citrus and Fiesta) will fight each other for audience. The first starts at Noon and the other two at 1 PM.

The only NYD bowls that matter are the Rose and Sugar which are in prime time.

While I enjoy college football, during the daylight hours on Jan. 1, like Lloyde, I am more likely to be watching "The Odd Couple" marathon than a game between two random also-ran P5s that I have no interest in.

Like playing St. Johns in the opener. Obviously depends on what happens in the OOC schedule, but it could be a great statement game.

Reactions: Robot_Man
this is terrible scheduling. 5 saturday games away and 3 saturday games home, one of which is NYE. hall fans dont historically show up during holidays.

and as an out of towner there are 2 viable games to see at home

It strikes me as a wasted opportunity to showcase the league. There are meaningful bowl games on from noon to midnight. Who, other than die-hards, is watching early season college basketball?
I understand the college betting angle, but New Years Day bowl games are not the most compelling anymore especially the esrly afternoon games. What day would you choose? Sunday is NFL playoffs. Friday is NY Eve. The league knows its demographics.

Last edited:
I understand the college betting angle, but New Years Day bowl games are not the most compelling anymore. What day would you choose? Sunday is NFL playoffs. Friday is NY Eve. The league knows its demographics.

Those bowl games will obviously get viewers, but they aren’t meaningful. There will guys opting not to play to maintain their health for the draft. It’s all about the CFP these days.

I understand the college betting angle, but New Years Day bowl games are not the most compelling anymore especially the esrly afternoon games. What day would you choose? Sunday is NFL playoffs. Friday is NY Eve. The league knows its demographics.
NFL sunday on fox whats going on before the game? pregame prob brings in bigger numbers but honestly i think its a good opportunity to piggyback off the viewers tuning in

Those bowl games will obviously get viewers, but they aren’t meaningful. There will guys opting not to play to maintain their health for the draft. It’s all about the CFP these days.
Meaningful doesn't have much to do with it. Especially now with the explosion of legal gaming (but even without it), bowl games will always hammer early season college hoops. The ones watching the Big East slate that day will the people like us, who wear sweatshirts with the names of these universities on them. But the casual fan and the gambler (a segment growing at an unbelievable rate) is spending the day engaged with football. It's got nothing to do with the playoffs and everything to do with habits, tradition, and most importantly, the multitude of in-game betting options that come with football. This is just part of why the TV contracts for these things dwarf anything we're doing.

What you and I are going to watch in this case has little to do with how it's going to track everywhere else.

Meaningful doesn't have much to do with it. Especially now with the explosion of legal gaming (but even without it), bowl games will always hammer early season college hoops. The ones watching the Big East slate that day will the people like us, who wear sweatshirts with the names of these universities on them. But the casual fan and the gambler (a segment growing at an unbelievable rate) is spending the day engaged with football. It's got nothing to do with the playoffs and everything to do with habits, tradition, and most importantly, the multitude of in-game betting options that come with football. This is just part of why the TV contracts for these things dwarf anything we're doing.

What you and I are going to watch in this case has little to do with how it's going to track everywhere else.

No doubt. But that is also true for every day that the two sports conflict with each other through the Super Bowl. Football is always going to win, Jan 1 or not. But people do bet on basketball, too.

Just for giggles.

In 2020, the Fiesta Bowl drew more than 20 million viewers. But the was a CFP game featuring Clemson and Ohio State and was played in prime time on Saturday, December 28, 2019 that year. The January 1, 2019 edition featuring LSU-UCF brought in just under 8.5 million sets of eyes.

The Citrus Bowl drew 14 million viewers for Alabama-Michigan. That game was the highest rated Citrus Bowl since 2008 and was up an absurd 82% from the previous year's game. The Citrus Bowl also benefits from being shown on ABC rather than one of the ESPNs as noted by...

The Outback Bowl which drew 3.9 million people for Minnesota-Auburn which aired on ESPN. That broadcast was up 22% from the previous year.

By contrast, the Seton Hall-Villanova matchup on FOX in February 2020 drew about 875,000 viewers.

That’s why football gets so much $$$$

But at the same time, Fox has to schedule something to air that day. And since this year Jan 1 is a Saturday, it figures they will schedule college basketball that afternoon opposite the bowl games and NHL winter classic. I would also imagine one of the networks will probably program some sort of gimmicky golf event.

image_handler.aspx

EDIT

Please take this to Life Off the Ship. We all know where this thread will go with your attached tweet.

As the season draws near and if this speculation becomes reality then we'll discuss it on this site.

EDIT

Please take this to Life Off the Ship. We all know where this thread will go with your attached tweet.

As the season draws near and if this speculation becomes reality then we'll discuss it on this site.
You’re such an ass.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT