ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals/Chiefs

PirateFan94

All Big East
Dec 21, 2021
This was a travesty. I’ll say you can’t let the officials decide a game but this was brutal. They handed KC the game. 3 and 9 Cincy stops them and they give them a do over. Every penalty the last 10 minutes went KC way. Horrible.

That was a stupid play hitting Mahomes when he was out of bounds. Cincinnati has nobody to blame but themselves. They could should have been in OT.

I actually agree with both posts. But…as a Jet fan…I can fully relate to the second one. Stupid penalty In the biggest spot of the season. Lord knows we’ve done that routinely

That was a stupid play hitting Mahomes when he was out of bounds. Cincinnati has nobody to blame but themselves. They could should have been in OT.
There was a pretty clear block in the back on the punt return and a holding on the offensive lineman on the scramble. Neither were called. They also decided not to call a roughing the passes on KC late, but opted to call a questionable pass interference on the Bengals. I can’t say Cincinnati got a great whistle in the last 10 minutes.

I haven't seen the refs take over a playoff game like that since the lakers and kings were in the 2002 Western Conference Finals. The fix was in.

The refs definitely got paid. And people complained about The Patriots getting calls. The funny thing is, as many times as the refs took it out of the Bengals hands, they came back to take control. They just couldn't get it done. It's a disgrace.

I was hoping to see a great game with a great finish, but the refs deprived us of that. Shameful by the nfl.

This was a travesty. I’ll say you can’t let them officials decide a game but this was brutal. They handed KC the game. 3 and 9 Cincy stops them and they give them a do over. Every penalty the last 10 minutes went KC way. Horrible.
They punted on that possession….????? and Jones was held on every play in the 4th quarter..you can talk about calls all the time

Last edited:
They punted on that possession….????? How about the roughing the kicker call? That was running into the locker at best and could argue that he was pushed…and Jones was held on every play in the 4th quarter..you can talk about calls all the time
Your supporting my point. The roughing the kicker was also a joke. He was clearly blocked into the kicker.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I really had no dog in the fight as a Giants fan. The issue I had was that I was looking for a good game and the officials took that away. It was pretty blatant from an objective observer.

Huh? The roughing the kicker was called against the bengals. Were you watching the same game?
Sorry was talking the roughing the punter call in the eagles game..

However, point still stands that you’re major fit of outrage lead to a chiefs punt so idk what your point is

Can somebody explain to me the do over on that 3rd down play I was distracted from watching and missed the play and the reason for the do over .

In two weeks The Eagles will be Super Bowl champions and all this will be forgotten! Go Birds!!

Joseph Ossai shows accountability for costly Bengals penalty: ‘I’ve got to learn’​

By Mark Cannizzaro

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — There’s always the other side. Most people never see the other side.

When games like Sunday night’s riveting AFC Championship — a 23-20 Chiefs win over the Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium — are played, everyone hears the cheers, because the cheers are loudest and they come from the winners.

But they rarely see the tears.

Inside the cramped and dead-quite losing locker room late Sunday night, Bengals 22-year-old linebacker Joseph Ossai acted more mature than most 32-year-old veterans do in the kind of stressful times he found himself in.

Ossai’s name forever will live in infamy in Cincinnati sports lore … for all the wrong reasons.

With the Chiefs on a desperate final-seconds march to a game-winning field-goal attempt, the second-year Ossai made the mistake of his life.

Patrick Mahomes scrambled for 5 yards toward the sideline to stop the clock with eight seconds remaining and no timeouts, and Ossai, in hot pursuit, pushed him late to the ground, drawing a 15-yard personal foul that moved the ball to the Cincinnati 27-yard-line.

On the next play, Harrison Butker kicked a 45-yard field goal for the win.

Afterward, Ossai was accountable. He stood in front of his locker and, as he answered questions about the play and its massive consequences, he was emotional about his teammates and coaches coming to his defense.

GettyImages-1246657955.jpg

Joseph Ossai delivered a late hit on Patrick Mahomes and was called for unnecessary roughness.
William Purnell/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

“These guys mean a lot to me and to know that they have my back is extremely … it’s giving me peace right now,” Ossai said through tears. “It was great to have the support of my teammates. I’ve got to learn from experience and I’ve got to know not to get close to that quarterback when he’s close to that sideline. I’ve got to do better.”

Describing the play, Ossai said, “I was in full chase mode and trying to push him to maybe get him going backwards and keep that clock running. I knew he was going for that sideline. I didn’t know how far out of bounds we were.”

Adding insult to the play, Ossai injured his right knee as he slid into people and equipment on the sideline and said he was expecting to have an MRI exam Monday.

As for his role in the loss, Ossai said Bengals coach Zac Taylor “just told me to keep my head up. He told me there were a bunch of different plays we had to make and it didn’t come down to that one. I’ve just got to just keep moving forward. I’ve got to do better. It’s extremely hard.”

The support Ossai got from his teammates was powerful. Former Giants defensive tackle B.J. Hill stood right next to Ossai as he answered questions from a small group of reporters.

“We’re one big family,” Ossai said. “When the going gets tough, we don’t start pointing fingers, we lift each other up. I’m just happy I have this group of guys around me right now supporting me, because it’s hard. There are a bunch of guys in this room that I’m very thankful for.

“I’m sorry things didn’t go our way.”

Hill praised Ossai for how hard he played, saying, “He played his butt off the whole game. That play didn’t cost us the game. I should have made more plays. I should have gotten the sack. I should have gotten [Mahomes] down. It didn’t come down to that play.

“I’m not going to put up with questions saying it’s all his fault. We’ve got each other’s back. It takes a whole team. It’s a group effort.”

Hill said he felt compelled to stand right next to Ossai as he answered questions “because that’s brother.’’

“Trying to blame this [loss] on one person, that ain’t going to fly with me,” Hill told The Post. “One play don’t define who you are. I’ve been in that situation, too. A couple years ago, I had a chance to get a game-winning sack and I missed the sack. It was on me. I’ve been there.

“[Ossai] plays his butt off every freaking play. That play there, he was playing his butt off. That’s how he plays. I have no hard feelings about that play at all, because I know what his intention was. His intention was to play hard.”

Hopefully, the support of Ossai’s coaches and teammates will allow him to move on from this and it doesn’t become a burden that breaks him.

Because mistakes like the one Ossai made Sunday night in such a high-profile situation with the world watching can ruin an athlete’s career if he or she allows it to. The way Ossai handled himself should go a long way toward his healing.

I haven't seen the refs take over a playoff game like that since the lakers and kings were in the 2002 Western Conference Finals. The fix was in.

The refs definitely got paid. And people complained about The Patriots getting calls. The funny thing is, as many times as the refs took it out of the Bengals hands, they came back to take control. They just couldn't get it done. It's a disgrace.

I was hoping to see a great game with a great finish, but the refs deprived us of that. Shameful by the nfl.
The Bengals got the wrong end of almost every judgement call and non-call late in the game. The missed block in the back on the punt return was especially egregious. Lousy work by the officials for sure.

But the FIX was in? The refs got PAID? Utterly ridiculous and irresponsible.

Can somebody explain to me the do over on that 3rd down play I was distracted from watching and missed the play and the reason for the do over .
Right before the snap, one of the refs had whistled the play dead (can't remember why) but the lead official didn't hear it over the crowd noise. They showed a replay of it later.

I thought the first half of the Philly game was very poorly officiated too. The Eagles O linemen were blatantly holding the 49ers every play and not one holding call. Handfuls of jerseys on each play and all the calls went Phillys way not to mention the catch hitting the ground on that 4th and 3 - early in the game - a huge missed call. Doubtful the 49ers win with Purdy hurt, but the officiating was so bad in the first half and then again in the Cincy game. Officials have a tough job for sure but I can't see them grading out well in either of those games.

Reactions: SHUMAN and TomD82
That was a tough way to decide a game. I hated to see it decided with the personal foul penalty. On the other hand, Ossai had a great game. But, let's be clear, it was an atrocious decision to push Mahomes when he was clearly out of bounds and it wasn't like an extra yard there was going to matter there or a first down. Sometimes, this happens. That's sports.

‘NFL rigged’: Bengals fans fume over officials’ controversial calls in AFC Championship game​

By Jeremy Layton

The Bengals failed to punch their ticket to Super Bowl 2023 on Sunday night, falling to the Chiefs, 23-20, in a last-second loss as their quest for back-to-back AFC championships fell just short.

And while it was a tightly contested game throughout, Cincinnati fans fumed over the result — with much of their ire directed toward the referees for a number of moments throughout the game.

Perhaps their biggest gripe came in the game’s final minute. The Bengals punted the ball away to Kansas City with the game tied at 20. Chiefs receiver Skyy Moore took the punt return 29 yards to right near midfield — but Cincinnati fans contested that officials missed an illegal block in the back that would have negated the huge gain

bengals-chiefs-block.png

A screengrab of the block in question in Chiefs vs. Bengals
CBS

It’s a bang-bang play and not overwhelmingly clear, but there did appear to be a block at the top of the play that sprung Moore for a big gain. A couple of plays later, Joseph Ossai’s brutal late hit on Patrick Mahomes put the Chiefs in field-goal range, and they converted.

There were other bizarre officiating quirks in the game that seemed to adversely affect the Bengals — perhaps the most notable one occurring earlier in the fourth quarter with the game still tied, 20-20. Mahomes threw an incomplete pass intended for Jerick McKinnon on second down, bringing up third-and–9.

However, the clock erroneously continued to run despite the pass falling incomplete, and no one seemed to notice. The Chiefs ended up running a third-down play — a short completion — and the Bengals appeared to have a crucial stop, but officials ran onto the field before the ball was snapped in an attempt to blow the play dead and get the clock sorted.

Then, they gave the Chiefs a second chance to run the play. And while Cincinnati ended up getting yet another stop, Bengals cornerback (and notable loudmouth) Eli Apple was called for defensive holding, giving the Chiefs a fresh set of downs. Bengals head coach Zac Taylor was seen screaming at the officials on the sideline in the aftermath.

Additionally, Joe Burrow was called for intentional grounding on a play where he appeared to be hit as he threw by the Chiefs’ Khalen Saunders. Burrow dirted the ball near a pair of linemen and the ball did not travel past the line of scrimmage.

“#NFLRigged” was trending on Twitter through Sunday night into Monday morning, with Bengals fans furious over the series of officiating decisions that all appeared to hurt their team.

Bad weekend for the NFL. I did not have a horse in either race but I thought the officiating in both games was horrendous. Call the penalties both ways or don't call them at all. Also, how can a $5 billion business allow a QB who is unable to throw the ball due to a serious elbow injury to play most of the entire second half.

The Bengals got the wrong end of almost every judgement call and non-call late in the game. The missed block in the back on the punt return was especially egregious. Lousy work by the officials for sure.

But the FIX was in? The refs got PAID? Utterly ridiculous and irresponsible.
If that's your opinion you are fully entitled to it. I, however, choose not to be naive to the fact that sports books and betting lines do impact outcomes. Also, in the post-Tim Donaghy era, I refuse to wear blinders and think we are seeing totally fair, unbiased competitions. We disagree. You call me ridiculous and irresponsible. I call you naive and out of touch.

If that's your opinion you are fully entitled to it. I, however, choose not to be naive to the fact that sports books and betting lines do impact outcomes. Also, in the post-Tim Donaghy era, I refuse to wear blinders and think we are seeing totally fair, unbiased competitions. We disagree. You call me ridiculous and irresponsible. I call you naive and out of touch.
I didn't say YOU were ridiculous/irresponsible; I said your statement was. And I'll double down on that.

Reactions: sussexcopirate
If you do not call that out of bounds push which could be the what not to ever do illustration for that penalty you are screwing KC. Why is that OK? An iffy pass interference, I can see swallowing the whistle, but not on that one. No ifs anywhere to be found on that play.

And while that play being called dead was weird as can be, like a poster above said and anyone who watched the game knows, the play WAS called dead before the snap.

the 49ers committed legitimate penalties. the eagles did not.
Lol - said from a happy Eagles fan. I've never seen such an incredible cakewalk to the Super Bowl in my life wow. The Eagles definitely earned the top seed and were the beneficiaries of facing a talent lacking Giants team and then a quarterbackless 49ers with refs giving them a tough set of calls in the first half. They are certainly NFC champs but I've never witnessed an easier road to the Super Bowl. Hoping Mahomes heals up and you actually have to face a real team in the Super Bowl - lol again.

Reactions: TomD82
the 49ers committed legitimate penalties. the eagles did not.
That depends who you talk to.

49ers victimized by poor officiating in NFC Championship game, and Twitter doesn’t hesitate to call out the referees​

John Ziegler
@Zigmanfreud
I’ve no dog in this hunt & grew up a huge Eagles fan, but this roughing the kicker penalty against the 49ers, which effectively ended the NFC championship game, was a complete joke. The rusher was pushed into the punter &
@NFLonFOX
didn’t even mention it!

Reactions: Section112
The NFL is a cash cow and yet this multi dollar business uses part time officials to call a game and it’s time to make the officials full time employees. Having watched terrible calls this year. I can’t help wonder if the game has become too fast for the officials particularly those who have reached an age where their ability to see the game has been dismissed.

Last edited:
Reactions: batts
Lol - said from a happy Eagles fan. I've never seen such an incredible cakewalk to the Super Bowl in my life wow. The Eagles definitely earned the top seed and were the beneficiaries of facing a talent lacking Giants team and then a quarterbackless 49ers with refs giving them a tough set of calls in the first half. They are certainly NFC champs but I've never witnessed an easier road to the Super Bowl. Hoping Mahomes heals up and you actually have to face a real team in the Super Bowl - lol again.
did you think any of those 49er penalties were wrong?

That depends who you talk to.

49ers victimized by poor officiating in NFC Championship game, and Twitter doesn’t hesitate to call out the referees​

John Ziegler
@Zigmanfreud
I’ve no dog in this hunt & grew up a huge Eagles fan, but this roughing the kicker penalty against the 49ers, which effectively ended the NFC championship game, was a complete joke. The rusher was pushed into the punter &
@NFLonFOX
didn’t even mention it!
i dont talk to twitter.

and please. that wasnt a push. the guy went in for the block and didnt get it. wah wah.

did you think any of those 49er penalties were wrong?
At most the punter penalty was 5 yards but he was blocked into him. Unusual to call the 15 yard penalty when a blocker is in full contact with the defender trying to block the kick - almost never results in a penalty or a 5 yarder at most. What I thought was really wrong was the holding on virtually every play by the Eagles O lineman on Bosa and other 49er d linemen especially in the first half. It was blatant and was not being called while a few of those D holding penalties were penalties but a few were touchy fouls. A friend of mine is an Eagles fan and agreed but he is one of the few that can watch a game with an open mind and still be a fan.

Reactions: TomD82
At most the punter penalty was 5 yards but he was blocked into him. Unusual to call the 15 yard penalty when a blocker is in full contact with the defender trying to block the kick - almost never results in a penalty or a 5 yarder at most. What I thought was really wrong was the holding on virtually every play by the Eagles O lineman on Bosa and other 49er d linemen especially in the first half. It was blatant and was not being called while a few of those D holding penalties were penalties but a few were touchy fouls. A friend of mine is an Eagles fan and agreed but he is one of the few that can watch a game with an open mind and still be a fan.
was he blocked into him? look at it again. in no way was that players momentum, jump, and attempt to block the kick, in the direction of the punter the actual cause? when was the last time players wanted to block guys into their own teammates? guy went for broke and lost.

whaa whaa christ.

was he blocked into him? look at it again. in no way was that players momentum, jump, and attempt to block the kick, in the direction of the punter the actual cause? when was the last time players wanted to block guys into their own teammates? guy went for broke and lost.

whaa whaa christ.
LMAO. The call went the eagles way but it's ok to admit they got a break from the refs. The guy literally had his hands on him, his elbow was bent and then 2 seconds there was extention is #89's arms that went from a bent elbow to straight arm the same way you push someone which was followed by the 49er player going into the kicker. Bad call. 49ers gotta get a stop.

Patriots skated every year in AFC East. Please! Eagles faced a lot of playoff teams this year and won! 49ers need to do a better job protecting their QB. All of them!!! That’s all on them. Eagles truly earned the one seed and took full advantage of it along with the stadium crowd! But it’s OK !!! People don’t like us and we don’t care. Will be taking over Glendale in two weeks. That place will never be louder.

Last edited:
LMAO. The call went the eagles way but it's ok to admit they got a break from the refs. The guy literally had his hands on him, his elbow was bent and then 2 seconds there was extention is #89's arms that went from a bent elbow to straight arm the same way you push someone which was followed by the 49er player going into the kicker. Bad call. 49ers gotta get a stop.
the call went the eagles way because it was roughing the punter.

the blocker is trying to keep him away. of course hes engaged with the bengals player. the bengals player us also trying to lunge at the punter. thats the whole point. whaa whaa. morons on this one. whaa.

NFL clearly wanted Chiefs - Eagles Super Bowl. Mahomes vs Hurt for obvious reasons. Even the alleged one-handed catch by DeVonta Smith was bogus but it was only confirmed by a replay angle shown a few plays later. Not sure who controls that but its pro wrestling.

It was a tough call. But It’s not the Eagles fault the replay flag was not tossed. That was dumb and on the 49ers players and coaches. Meanwhile The Eagles raced up and ran a play. That was smart! Go Birds!

the call went the eagles way because it was roughing the punter.

the blocker is trying to keep him away. of course hes engaged with the bengals player. the bengals player us also trying to lunge at the punter. thats the whole point. whaa whaa. morons on this one. whaa.
LMAO the bengals player was trying to lunge for the punter??? Yes he was going for a penalty. If you think that you're a moron. The guy was going for the ball and when the eagles players arms extended he was pushed into the punter.

If you believe the call went the eagles way because it was roughing the punter, I'll bet you just accept every call James Breeding makes during a SHU game.

It was a tough call. But It’s not the Eagles fault the replay flag was not tossed. That was dumb and on the 49ers players and coaches. Meanwhile The Eagles raced up and ran a play. That was smart! Go Birds!
49ers coach said he only saw the replays that were inconclusive. The one that clearly showed the ball come out was held back until after the next play. Not saying it was intentionally held back but I see no reason to not show it immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT