ADVERTISEMENT

Big East expert picks 2023-24

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Fair take on us.

Xavier is mess, whew. An entirely different roster now after the departures and injuries, but they also brought in a lot of talent. Interesting.

Reactions: LBP43
This is the exact take most of us have. We should be better than last year, but hard to see us finishing better than 8th.

Sounds about right to me. I see Seton Hall 6th at best and 10th at worst, so 8th splits the difference.

Reactions: Piratz
Sounds about right to me. I see Seton Hall 6th at best and 10th at worst, so 8th splits the difference.
+1. If Richmond is first team, all Big East, and they avoid injuries to the key four sixth can happen. Lengthy injury to Richmond, and one other starter brings ten into play.

Mystery team is a good description of the Pirates heading into this season.Going in, I would think a 5th place BE finish would be the ceiling for this team.,

I honestly think we have a chance to finish in the 4-6 range this year.

MU: lock to finish above us
Nova: Likely a lock to finish above us
Creighton: better than us, but overhyped imo. Will live and die by the 3 more than ever
UConn: also overhyped heading into the season.
SJU: lots of pieces to gel together. This is a team we could finish ahead of
PC: not many young coaches can step into the big east y1 and have immediate success. We’ll finish above them
Xavier: lost too much firepower. We’ll finish above them

Creighton: better than us, but overhyped imo. Will live and die by the 3 more than ever
PC: not many young coaches can step into the big east y1 and have immediate success. We’ll finish above them

I think UConn, MU, Creighton, and Villanova all finish above Seton Hall for certain. SJU/PC/XU who knows, but I'm fairly sure at least one will be better, hence my ceiling of 6th place.

Reactions: Piratz
I think the the predicted order of finish is harder than ever now with rosters turning over like crazy.

To me, it’s more than ever the sum of the parts rather than individual talent.

Last year’s final four could be indicative of a paradigm shift; I’m confident it’s about which teams play better as the season goes along vs. others having issues of playing for next year’s NIL money with individual stats.

Down to coaching and managing youthful personalities more than ever before.

I like all of them but it's very doubtful any of them not named Richmond would start on any of the top 5 Big East teams.
They would absolutely start or be in the main 7 man rotation. You're talking top 20 type teams.

All 4 have major game. The bench and health will dictate our season.

I see the top three is this prediction as being a clear notch better than 4-8, but view the second tier as very fluid. Also, we've always done better when coming off the pace.

Reactions: Gohall129
Not that hard Russ.

There's talent on the team. Davis, Richmond, Wusu and Dawes can play with anyone in the league.

We need the 5s and the bench to step up to reach the middle of the pack. And of course we must stay healthy.
Your point about the 5 and bench are well-taken IMO.

As for those 4 kids being able to play with anyone in the league, your lips to God's ears is they can do that consistently, game-in, game out. They are "old" for college players, which is good. But we also have a good sample size of watching all of them play high major basketball. Not one has made an all conference team. With age comes maturation, improvement from experience and the like. So I'm hoping what you are seeing plays out throughout the season, because there is a world in which 3 of those guys are solid bench contributors on most solid Big East teams, not standouts/upper-shelf type players.

Reactions: coatofarms
X is a head scratcher right now. They have lost a ton through graduation and injuries. Seven freshmen? Miller gets a lot of deserved respect but they have issues.

There’s only one way we get there. If our guys improve their shooting consistently. How many times do we watch a game and say the one team is more athletic, bigger, faster, but the team that won just made shots. It’s not a complicated game and when you have guys who can make shots it becomes that much easier. I think overall we are inconsistent in that department and that’s going to be a problem. We will win some games many don’t expect but in my opinion can our guys night in, night out make shots. We can only hope.

Reactions: Gohall129
Ok, go ahead and laugh at me but I think when the smoke clears in March the Hall will sneak into the NCAA tournament and win a game, maybe even two.

I’m sure you all think I’m smoking something and you can feel free to laught at me if I’m wrong. I just have a gut feeling Sha is going to have these kids playing like a true team.

Ok, go ahead and laugh at me but I think when the smoke clears in March the Hall will sneak into the NCAA tournament and win a game, maybe even two.

I’m sure you all think I’m smoking something and you can feel free to laught at me if I’m wrong. I just have a gut feeling Sha is going to have these kids playing like a true team.
The number of people who have that belief probably fit in a phone booth. But hoping you’re right.

The number of people who have that belief probably fit in a phone booth. But hoping you’re right.
I am in that phone booth

man-walking-out-of-an-old-style-british-red-telephone-box-in-amberley-G543H3.jpg

What’s a phone booth???
Was really only busting HallLine. All in fun. Over the summer he told me my thoughts on Pete Alonso as a baseball player were horrible and the people who agreed with me could fit in a phone booth. By end of the year he admitted the people in the phone booth looked pretty smart. Hoping the people in the phone booth are right in this situation.

Reactions: HALL85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT