ADVERTISEMENT

Big East has eliminated its intraconference transfer rule

We will have to see how this plays out. Could lead to bad blood. Also, the student athlete that transfers within the conference could be the verbal target of the student sections of the school he leaves during return matchups. I thought it was a good rule they already had in place.

Reactions: mdb
Just because it is allowed, doesn't mean it will happen much, if at all. Just do not see conference coaches getting involved in intra conference transfers in most situations or even players wanting to transfer in conference often.

Think this will mostly be beneficial for us. Plenty of NJ kids want to go out of state to a school with a great campus and facilities. They then later transfer to a school for more practical reasons.
You would think, in theory, this helps us and St. John's because of local talent that everyone is after and goes away, even within conference, but may ultimately want to come back closer for reasons you state. But it could work the other way too, and with Hurley/Kimani looming at Uconn with major connections with NJ/tri-state area and everything Uconn has to offer....

When the ACC went to 15 teams, allowing infra conference transfers without penalty basically put them at a disadvantage on the transfer issue vs smaller high major conferences. When the ACC allowed it, the Big East basically had to do the same. Otherwise, Big East will be at a competitive disadvantage.

I am sure when it happens, there may be some bad blood. But, I currently don’t see Willard trying to recruit a player from Cooley and Providence or vice versa. The only situation I can see this happening is if Cooley tells Willard he’s not staying here so why don’t you give it a shot.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I don’t think you’ll see many top players transferring within the conference. When they transfer it’s usually for bigger and brighter.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
It will be near impossible to enforce any anti - tampering rules and I can envision some pretty bitter feelings developing between schools and even between coach‘s with the elimination of the ban on in - conference transfers. The BE had little choice but to take this step as others have pointed out.

Can you imagine the bad blood if kids transfer between major rivalries? What if we get a kid to transfer from Nova or SJU or vice versa? Look out...

Big East scraps intraconference transfer policy​

5:23 PM ET
  • Associated Press
NEW YORK -- The Big East has eliminated its intraconference transfer policy, allowing athletes to transfer within the conference without losing a year of eligibility.

The decision was made by the league's board of directors and announced Thursday. It takes effect immediately. The old policy had been in effect for roughly two decades.

Athlete transfers in all conference-sponsored sports will be governed by NCAA legislation, the Big East said.

A new NCAA policy allows players to transfer once and be eligible to play immediately. Many conferences, including the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12, had already dropped their restrictions on intraconference transfers.

I don’t think you’ll see many top players transferring within the conference. When they transfer it’s usually for bigger and brighter.
I don’t think you will see many players transfer this way. I could see a player at Nova who gets 5 mins per game go to. a school like DePaul.

Reactions: mdb
Maybe we can snatch Sanogo from UCONN :)

no-enerator-net-no-mr-angry-cat-meme-generator-53328501.png

Reactions: SHUSource

SEC, Big East latest to scrap intraconference transfer rules​

Associated Press

MarchMadness-e1614301576641.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) The Southeastern Conference and the Big East eliminated their intraconference transfer policies Thursday, allowing athletes to transfer within the leagues without losing a year of eligibility.

The decisions were made in each conference by university presidents and chancellors. The changes take effect immediately and are in line with the trend throughout college sports to allow more freedom for athletes who switch schools.

Athlete transfers in all Big East-sponsored sports will be governed by NCAA legislation.

The SEC’s change will more closely align the conference with NCAA rules. One difference with the SEC is it will require athletes who play fall sports – such as football – to declare their intent to transfer by Feb. 1. NCAA rules will require fall and winter sport athletes to notify their schools of a transfer by May 1 and spring sport athletes by July 1.

The SEC’s deadlines for winter and spring athletes will be the same as the NCAA’s.

The SEC’s decision means several high-profile football players will be immediately eligible in 2021 after transferring, including former Tennessee linebacker Henry To’o To’o at Alabama, former LSU tight end Arik Gilbert at Georgia and former LSU quarterback T.J. Finley at Auburn.

A new NCAA policy passed in April allows athletes in all sports to transfer once and be eligible to play immediately. For years, football, basketball, men’s hockey and baseball players did not have access to the one-time exception that athletes in other sports had and were forced to sit out a season after transferring as an undergraduate to a school at the same level of NCAA competition.

Many conferences including the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 already dropped their restrictions on intraconference transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT