ADVERTISEMENT

Big Money Loans Coming Due for The Donald

Still whining about his tax returns?

The reason I wanted to see the returns was to get an idea of how much he owed.
We now know the the president owes someone a billion dollars. I do care who that someone is and how much leverage they have over him.

@NYShoreGuy, in your opinion, what is the difference between a president having debt on his books and a president having to work favorably for the campaign donations he received. Just my opinion, every president we've ever had has had debt coming due in their term whether it's a bank or lobbyists doesn't make much of a difference.

The reason I wanted to see the returns was to get an idea of how much he owed.
We now know the the president owes someone a billion dollars. I do care who that someone is and how much leverage they have over him.
BS, you’re no different than CNN. You don’t think the IRS or intelligence agencies would’ve picked up on that conspiracy theory years ago? You’ve had a hard on for Trump for five years and would continue to want to impeach him if he got reelected. Own it merge. Too funny.

BS, you’re no different than CNN. You don’t think the IRS or intelligence agencies would’ve picked up on that conspiracy theory years ago? You’ve had a hard on for Trump for five years and would continue to want to impeach him if he got reelected. Own it merge. Too funny.
4 years. Remember the Dems originally wanted Trump to win the Republican nomination. He didn't stand a chance in a general election. They didn't want Hillary running against a real politician. They got Trump elected.

Reactions: HALL85

I own the fact that I care if an outside party has a billion dollars worth or financial leverage over the president, sure. Kind of pathetic that you don't.

Reactions: halltheway
I own the fact that I care if an outside party has a billion dollars worth or financial leverage over the president, sure. Kind of pathetic that you don't.
Blah, blah, blah...more TDS.

It amounts to about a 25% Debt to Equity ratio. Not a bad number for any business.

Right, having debt is not the issue.
But they are not personal loans, it is debt on property, most of which Trump Organization only owns part of property, therefore in theory only part the debt. Did he personally or his company negotiate the debt, or was it done by the controlling business partner? Not sure why you would then be worried by who owns debt?

Trump, as well as many developers & realty companies often have large amount of debt. If money comes due, options are to refinance terms , sell property (or others gor gain or loss) or lose property to foreclosure. We all know Trump has both lost control and gained properties this way.

But they are not personal loans, it is debt on property, most of which Trump Organization only owns part of property, therefore in theory only part the debt. Did he personally or his company negotiate the debt, or was it done by the controlling business partner? Not sure why you would then be worried by who owns debt?

Trump, as well as many developers & realty companies often have large amount of debt. If money comes due, options are to refinance terms , sell property (or others gor gain or loss) or lose property to foreclosure. We all know Trump has both lost control and gained properties this way.

Right, we don't know some of that. My point is that we should know and his position requires transparency.

Reporting by the times says he personally guaranteed over 400 million. I'm not sure refinance would be as easy as it would normally be as we know US banks wouldn't touch him.

If his lender called today and said they will not refinance or extend the maturity of his loans unless he does xyz, what does that mean for him? It's entirely possible that he wouldn't care, also possible he would care very much. It is something the public should have an understanding of though.

Right, we don't know some of that. My point is that we should know and his position requires transparency.

Reporting by the times says he personally guaranteed over 400 million. I'm not sure refinance would be as easy as it would normally be as we know US banks wouldn't touch him.

If his lender called today and said they will not refinance or extend the maturity of his loans unless he does xyz, what does that mean for him? It's entirely possible that he wouldn't care, also possible he would care very much. It is something the public should have an understanding of though.
Why should the public have to know? Stop the silliness.

Why should the public have to know? Stop the silliness.
Every person with a top secret security clearance, debt is an issue in order to get that clearance. So people like Kushner could not get clearance. Why are finances an issue? Well, it can make a person vulnerable to nefarious actors and countries. So there is one person in the world that can ignore this. Yes, the President. He got his son-in-law his clearance. He could also declassify any government or military secret. He can just tell people about it.

So, with that in mind, I think it is in the public's right to know how much debt and who has he done business with in the past. The President's health is in the public right to know. The health of the President is less important than his business dealings and debt. Perhaps, the debt is just owed to banks and it is not that much debt with regard to his holdings. But perhaps it is. And that is where people are vulnerable. We, as the public, have the right to know.

Every person with a top secret security clearance, debt is an issue in order to get that clearance. So people like Kushner could not get clearance. Why are finances an issue? Well, it can make a person vulnerable to nefarious actors and countries. So there is one person in the world that can ignore this. Yes, the President. He got his son-in-law his clearance. He could also declassify any government or military secret. He can just tell people about it.

So, with that in mind, I think it is in the public's right to know how much debt and who has he done business with in the past. The President's health is in the public right to know. The health of the President is less important than his business dealings and debt. Perhaps, the debt is just owed to banks and it is not that much debt with regard to his holdings. But perhaps it is. And that is where people are vulnerable. We, as the public, have the right to know.
Disagree. If those are valid concerns, then the appropriate intelligence or government committee can be commissioned to oversea such things. The public doesn't have the right to know every detail about a politician...do that and you just keep shrinking the available pool of quality candidates. The primaries would be a good barometer of that!

Taking your point, why stop there? Why not have a candidate turn over all of their personal emails and texts. Perhaps there's someone else that could be compromising the President. You think we need to know the details of the candidates health? C'mon.

Reactions: Belluno

Many presidents and presidential candidates have not been transparent. I think it should but when did that become a requirement?

Many presidents and presidential candidates have not been transparent. I think it should but when did that become a requirement?

Maybe requirement isn't the right word.

I think it's dependent on the circumstances at hand. He had to go elsewhere for loans which potentially makes him a national security risk. Probably the same reason Kushner couldn't get security clearance even though Trump pushed in through anyway.

In my opinion, we do deserve to know if that risk level is low or high. The level of which he has been fighting to keep the details hidden makes the situation worse.

Just like we deserved to know what kind of information Hillary was sharing through her private e-mail account. That also made her a national security risk and we deserved to know how much of a risk that presented.

Maybe requirement isn't the right word.

I think it's dependent on the circumstances at hand. He had to go elsewhere for loans which potentially makes him a national security risk. Probably the same reason Kushner couldn't get security clearance even though Trump pushed in through anyway.

In my opinion, we do deserve to know if that risk level is low or high. The level of which he has been fighting to keep the details hidden makes the situation worse.

Just like we deserved to know what kind of information Hillary was sharing through her private e-mail account. That also made her a national security risk and we deserved to know how much of a risk that presented.
Who determines what we deserve to know and what we do not? For every Trump question mark we deserve to know there is question mark surrounding Biden. And why is it every time they find something on Trump it's legit, every time they find something on Biden, it's Russian propaganda?

Who determines what we deserve to know and what we do not? For every Trump question mark we deserve to know there is question mark surrounding Biden. And why is it every time they find something on Trump it's legit, every time they find something on Biden, it's Russian propaganda?

To be clear though, Trump does owe someone a billion dollars.
That part is true. We deserve to know if that presents a problem or not.

If there is a similar issue with Biden, yes, we deserve to know that as well.

Do we deserve to know about Hunter and if Joe is "the big guy" in the scheme? or only if Joe owes people money?

Do we deserve to know about Hunter and if Joe is "the big guy" in the scheme?

In my opinion, if there is any information implicating Joe in a scheme, absolutely.

As it stands so far, it seems that the only allegation is that Hunter was profiting off of his fathers position? From the timing and involvement of Gulliani and Bannon... it’s a really tough sell that this is going to amount to anything.

Where does Trump owe a billion dollars, article seemed to indicate he is on hook for some of the $900 million, but not most of it? It’s debt, do we always look in presidents debt or other policitians? Yes, it is a large number, but so is Trumps net worth, plus the fact he is only partner in properties affected. Would you care about debt, contracts or business dealings of say Bloomberg’s company?

I think the question comes down if a President, rich or poor, Democrat or Republican can be bought off by money or some other influences. So if some government wanted to buy off Trump by giving his company a new loan, what would stop them from funneling money to Biden or some other future President?

Where does Trump owe a billion dollars, article seemed to indicate he is on hook for some of the $900 million, but not most of it? It’s debt, do we always look in presidents debt or other policitians? Yes, it is a large number, but so is Trumps net worth, plus the fact he is only partner in properties affected. Would you care about debt, contracts or business dealings of say Bloomberg’s company?

I think the question comes down if a President, rich or poor, Democrat or Republican can be bought off by money or some other influences. So if some government wanted to buy off Trump by giving his company a new loan, what would stop them from funneling money to Biden or some other future President?

Theoretically anyone can be bought off, but there is a reason why debt, especially foreign debt, can prevent someone from obtaining security clearance. We know US banks wouldn't lend to Trump so he went outside the country. If the lender is looking at the loan coming due, are they in a position to pressure Trump for certain actions?

I am not saying that will happen, I am not saying the risk is even high. I am just saying there is a specific risk there and we should understand it. It's not quite the same as a quid pro quo scenario where both parties benefit in some way (also bad, but less of a risk) because this would potentially look more like blackmail.

Bloomberg would have his own set of issues, but yes if he were running for president I would have a problem if he refused to release his tax returns and fought congressional oversight from seeing his tax returns all the way to the supreme court. I would want to understand the risks related to him as well.

As an auditor, one of the first things we do every year is a risk assessment. Then we develop our plan to audit around and address the risks we have identified.

No one knows how much Trump is worth. Michael Cohen claims that Trump consistency lied and inflated to banks about how much his real estate holdings were worth. Trump claims he is worth $10 billion. But places like Forbes has him for something like 2 billion and maybe less. Therefore, if he owes a billion that half and if he personally guaranteed $400 million that is 20% of his net worth. He would still be rich, but that certainly takes a huge dent.

Debt is a big deal. People are denied sensitive jobs just because they are carrying too much debt. But the President of the US could be in financial crisis making him a vulnerable target and the public doe snot need to know? Sorry, we should know that information.

Theoretically anyone can be bought off, but there is a reason why debt, especially foreign debt, can prevent someone from obtaining security clearance. We know US banks wouldn't lend to Trump so he went outside the country. If the lender is looking at the loan coming due, are they in a position to pressure Trump for certain actions?

I am not saying that will happen, I am not saying the risk is even high. I am just saying there is a specific risk there and we should understand it. It's not quite the same as a quid pro quo scenario where both parties benefit in some way (also bad, but less of a risk) because this would potentially look more like blackmail.

Bloomberg would have his own set of issues, but yes if he were running for president I would have a problem if he refused to release his tax returns and fought congressional oversight from seeing his tax returns all the way to the supreme court. I would want to understand the risks related to him as well.

As an auditor, one of the first things we do every year is a risk assessment. Then we develop our plan to audit around and address the risks we have identified.
So once again, if you are worried about these things they should fall under the purview of the appropriate government agency to review a candidate’s finances with some level of granulatity. The way the MSM operates, this is not something for public consumption.

So once again, if you are worried about these things they should fall under the purview of the appropriate government agency to review a candidate’s finances with some level of granulatity.

That's the problem though. The IRS has scrutiny over taxes. Not potential leverage.

Congress can't get the records because Trump has fought them, and the president gets his clearance by being elected, not through the normal level of scrutiny in the clearance process.

That's the problem though. The IRS has scrutiny over taxes. Not potential leverage.

Congress can't get the records because Trump has fought them, and the president gets his clearance by being elected, not through the normal level of scrutiny in the clearance process.
The IRS should not be overseeing it, and Congress should only see the results of an audit. Why not let Treasury and the FBI review the financial history and background of all Presidential candidates?

Why do you think that level of detail needs to be vetted by John Q. Public? That’s ridiculous.

The IRS should not be overseeing it, and Congress should only see the results of an audit. Why not let Treasury and the FBI review the financial history and background of all Presidential candidates?

Why do you think that level of detail needs to be vetted by John Q. Public? That’s ridiculous.

Right. I would be fine if we had that kind of process in place... but we don’t. That’s my issue.

Trump not releasing his tax returns and fighting oversight committees from obtaining any of his financial records etc only makes things worse.

You are missing the point.

If he had extraordinary debt, it would be issue. Given he has debt well under typical risk thresholds it doesn't support the blackmail conspiracy theories.

I think you are extremely low on your ratio honestly. Unless you meant debt to assets? Even then, your ratio is too low.

In any case, Trump has hundreds of millions apparently coming due in 2021. He will have to refinance his portion of the properties or hope the properties are sold before maturity.

If US banks were lending to Trump, then I would be more inclined to agree with you.
As it stands, lending to Trump is a risk as he has filed for bankruptcy multiple times. He had to seek financing elsewhere and it would be worth knowing he is on the hook to someone that might look to take advantage of the situation.

When I review loan files at my clients, we assess a borrowers ability to repay their loan.
If maturity is within a year, the is additional risk and we will look at additional information to mitigate that risk. Depending on the loan, there will be a lot of factors we need to understand.

That is all I am saying. There is additional risk with Trump and I don't believe we have an adequate understanding of what the risks actually are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT