ADVERTISEMENT

Big time donation by Bob Ley

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Last night at The Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers Bob Ley donated $2M to SHU for its Sports Media program. A who's who was in attendance including Robin Roberts who was given the first-ever Lifetime Professional Achievement Award.

Upon getting the honor she, as did Ley previously, was given a standing ovation. She took the mike and looked at Ley and said, see, I got the same standing ovation you got and it didn't cost me $2M.

Awesome. Ley is one of my all-time favorite sports media types. His ESPN show was unique and ground-breaking. I know some don't like him because of his politics, which without getting into that stand-out one way compared to what you mostly see with the media-types. I've always viewed him as a class act and here he's putting his $ where his mouth is by giving back.

I've had the opportunity to meet Mr. Ley a couple of times. He has almost always attended the major WSOU reunion dinners dating back many years. Always a nice man and certainly a class act. Someone we should be proud is associated with Seton Hall University.

It's wonderful to see in his "retirement" he has chosen to strengthen his association with his alma mater.

Was a great event at a top-shelf venue - the Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers. First class program including having a panel with three students (Former - John Fanta, a sixth year student and a current underclassman). Bob Ley bleeds Seton Hall blue. Robin gave a great talk - very genuine and she engaged with all the students for an extended period of time. Impressed with the Setonia leadership team. Many times Seton Hall is criticized for thinking small, last night it was big time. Enjoyed engaging with John Fanta and his future bride. He's a great representative of WSOU and the Hall.

Made me proud to be a Pirate in NYC last night.

Was a great event at a top-shelf venue - the Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers. First class program including having a panel with three students (Former - John Fanta, a sixth year student and a current underclassman). Bob Ley bleeds Seton Hall blue. Robin gave a great talk - very genuine and she engaged with all the students for an extended period of time. Impressed with the Setonia leadership team. Many times Seton Hall is criticized for thinking small, last night it was big time. Enjoyed engaging with John Fanta and his future bride. He's a great representative of WSOU and the Hall.

Made me proud to be a Pirate in NYC last night.
They did something similar a couple of years ago when Ley interviewed Bob Costas at an event on campus.

At one point in the interview, they brought a couple of students on stage to ask questions of both.

It's a great idea to have some student involvement in these events. It gives them some basic practical experience as well as experience speaking in front of a large group of people.

People forget her sports roots. She called the first UConn Tennessee women’s basketball game. She’s a Seton Hall grad? I never knew that.

Congratulations on the Ley $2 million donation! That’s a huge deal. Alumni donations are the only way the non-P5 are going to stay competitive.

People forget her sports roots. She called the first UConn Tennessee women’s basketball game. She’s a Seton Hall grad? I never knew that.

Congratulations on the Ley $2 million donation! That’s a huge deal. Alumni donations are the only way the non-P5 are going to stay competitive.
She went to Southeastern Louisiana Univ. really no connection to the Hall

She is not a grad. Her connection is Ley. She said that he is like a brother to her.

Reactions: CL82
60UYy1O.jpg

Wouldn’t it be a great way to honor Bob by naming the new practice facility for him. I fully recognize that the facility will likely be named for the largest donors but naming something associated with SH athletics for Bob‘s many contributions to the University is fitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOBO1 and HALL85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT