ADVERTISEMENT

Bunny's

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Here was my experience at Bunny's after the Saturday Blue/White scrimmage

I got to Bunny's around 230PM to set up our area which was the back part of the restaurant which covered about 10 tables and has a seating capacity of around 50 people. Unfortunately at that time most of the tables had customers there and the waitresses were still seating customers. Seeing that I sought out the manager on duty, Britney, a young and very pleasant lady. She told her staff to not seat anyone else as that area was designated for our event.

During that time many SHU people, mostly all from our board started to trickle in and sit in our area ordering food and drink on their own tabs. That continued until 3PM when the players (pictures later in the day curtesy of Harty9) came in and sat at the back tables allowing for easy access to the Pirate fans, both young and old.

Still, there were customers seated in the area finishing their meals and drinks causing some confusion as I was trying to ensure only those who paid were allows access to the area. In fact multiple people, many of them unpaid SHU students started to fill the area and had to be weeded out without disturbing the paid patrons.

Eventually those patrons left their tables by 315PM and from that point on I was able to control access.

I would estimate over the next hour plus we had a total of 80 people in the area talking SHU basketball, meeting the players, having children bring items to sign or have the players sign pictures of the roster I supplied. During that time Bunny's brought out pizzas to every table non stop until the event closed ship around 340PM or so. Here I want to plug Bunney's because there is no doubt they lost money as the rest of their restaurant was packed, both inside and outside. Losing 10 tables and making about 35-40 pies gratis was a gesture that all SHU fans should thank and in the future when anyone here is looking for a place to eat look no further than Bunny's, who supports the Hall as well as if not better than any restaurant in the Village.

A special shout out to Harty 9 who....

1. Took pictures for this site and for Eric's site.

2. Brought past Seton Hall superstar Glenn Mosley to the event.

3. Paid for Mosley's ticket as Glenn has faced difficult times financially and health wise.

Staying with Glenn....during the time there I introduced him to the team but as expected none of them knew who he was. After all he played decades before the SHU players were born. But once I told them of his feats at the school and the fact that he was a first round NBA draft choice that changed as you were able to see his interactions with the players. In short I told them that Glenn accomplished in the 70s what they desire to accomplish now, play BB at the highest level.

The final thing we did was to go outside and have multiple team picture taken by both Harty and Britney and then the event was over.

Bunny's handled everything so well that I sought out the staff and gave them a $200.00 tip. Money they earned as they no doubt lost tips from normal patrons in the 2 hours we had the area.

Bottom line, this went so well that I hope it becomes a yearly event. Everyone had a great time, Piratecrew was incredibly generous with their support and the players were well behaved and extremely cordial to everyone.

You here, the players and Bunny's made the end of University Day special.

Thank you all.

Since I had to focus on running the event I didn't get much of a chance to mingle with the players or talk as much with my friends as I usually would.

If anyone in attendance wants to share please do so.

The one short interaction I had was asking Jamir Harris if he will play in Friday's exhibition game against Boston College. I had heard Sha say he was definitely out. But for what it's worth Harris said he was 100% playing.

A few pictures of interest with more to come

v2pqKGP.jpg

OUgNwCE.jpg

Glenn Mosley

rLtcCyS.jpg

vPv49ae.jpg

4V8o7r2.jpg

Thanks Dan for running and coordinating everything. Great to see Glenn Mosley looking better than when he was hospitalized. Bunny's seems to be one of the few in South Orange supporting SHU. As always, rooting from Vegas , I can't wait for the season to start. HZF

Again, thanks to you Dan for your role in organizing this. None of this happens without your involvement. Also, thanks to Harty for bringing Glenn by. I had never met Glenn prior to running into him and Harty on campus prior to the event.

Finally, thanks to Bunny's for their support. Given this was part of Seton Hall Weekend, it's understandable that the place was packed on Saturday afternoon. I don't know how that compares to a typical Saturday but I have to believe setting aside several tables and providing $500 or so worth of pizza made a dent in their take for the day.

I didn't have a particular interest in meeting the players, no disrespect to them. I figured there were enough people, especially children, who wanted some of their time. I was there to see some friends, enjoy the atmosphere with my fellow Pirate fans and most importantly support the program.

Was certainly a little hectic in the beginning as would be expected in a small Sports Bar on a Saturday afternoon with University Day visitors, College Football and MLB Playoffs. But all in all Bunny's did a nice job.

Definitely enjoyed meeting and talking to fellow fans and posters. The players were all respectful. Interacting with them was just another reminder that they are all still kids.

Well done, Dan. Maybe I'll be able to attend with my kids next year if this is an annual event.

I am sure you're dying for my update so here it is:

Lowly Town Club (albeit turned over match coaching to British trainer due to the level the team has reached...) - 1
Academy Club paying much more per player than Lowly Town Club - 0

Last edited:
We're hoping to do this on campus next year if the NJ regulations change. Maybe on the green on the center of the campus. Doing that would open us up to thousands of Pirate fans.

If not probably back to Bunny's.

Reactions: garyshu71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT