ADVERTISEMENT

Butler Adds PG

hallgrad80

All Universe
Oct 27, 2001
With the commit of four star point guard Aaron Thompson. Thompson had committed to Pitt but was released from his commitment to Pitt.Thompson is Butler's fifth commit and second PG in its 2017 class. I guess Butler likes PG's as they signed top 100 PG Howard Washington in their 2016 class , along with PG Kamar Baldwin and GW transfer Paul Jorgensen in the same class who sat out this season.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/24/2017

Strengths:
Thompson is a long lefty point guard who is productive on both ends and full of intangibles. He's a true point guard who understands what it is to run a team and distribute the ball and has an advanced repertoire of passes within his arsenal. He has an outstanding right hand and is a virtually ambidextrous ball-handler, passer and finisher around the rim. While he's rarely concerned with his individual productivity he has both speed and quickness with the ball to create tempo and get into the lane when necessary. He's a high level defender who maximizes his quickness and length to both pressure and contain opposing ball-handlers. In terms of intangibles, he's ultra-competitive, a good communicator and has clear leadership tools.

Weaknesses:
His jump shot has always been his achilles heel and while there's still a little bit of a glitch in his release, it continues to improve with now good loft and rotation. He's going to need to continue to work to develop that game so defenders don't constantly go under ball-screens and help off him away from the ball. While he's not necessarily a high scoring type of lead guard, he would also do well to establish more of a mid-range game so that when he is forced to manufacture offense in late shot-clock situations he has more solutions available to him.

Bottom Line:
He's just the type of guy you want to build your first recruiting class around because he's the type of guy that other players want to play with - competitive, unselfish, able to make those around him better on a consistent basis while simultaneously changing the game on the defensive end of the floor.

With the commit of four star point guard Aaron Thompson. Thompson had committed to Pitt but was released from his commitment to Pitt.Thompson is Butler's fifth commit and second PG in its 2017 class. I guess Butler likes PG's as they signed top 100 PG Howard Washington in their 2016 class , along with PG Kamar Baldwin and GW transfer Paul Jorgensen in the same class who sat out this season.
Thompson is really good as others have all mentioned. Howard Washington broke his Butler commit, did a post-grad year and I think signed or verbaled to Syracuse. We all know about Baldwin from seeing him this year so looks like Butler is set up well with Baldwin and Washington.

I said yesterday that I thought our recruiting class was better than Butler's.....now I don't know.

I don't know anything about Jorgensen. Anyone know how he is or what he did at GW?

The point I was trying to make , and obviously didn't do it very well , is that being able to recruit more then one point guard in any recruiting cycle or in consecutive recruiting cycles happens all the time yet we seem to struggle with it and that puzzles me.

Reactions: ArtieLange9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT