ADVERTISEMENT

Buy stock now

Last offseason's "Buy Stock Now" guys from Rothstein:

Jeremy Sochan (lottery pick)
Keisei Tominaga (nothing)
Brian Waddell (redshirted)
Brandon Slater (met expectations, did not exceed)

Guys he added during November after the season started:

Julian Reese
Darin Green Jr.
Malaki Branham
Cheikh Mbacke Diong
Ryan Nembhard
Tamar Bates
Devin Carter
Kam Jones
Jordan Hawkins
Zakai Zeigler
Jamal Shead
Jordan Hawkins again
Malachi Smith
Keisei Tominaga again
Blake Wesley

Ryan Nembhard could be a problem for us if healthy again

It's not just Rothstein. Jerry Carino told me the same thing as did another person who went to a practice.
Was just going to post this. It’s everywhere - I think this kid could be the real deal. Shaheen said something to the effect of he’s never coached a big man this athletic. Very excited to see him play.

Just look at the kids offer list - purdue, Indiana, Utah, Louisville, butler, Xavier, etc.

Sometimes a player’s offer list is more indicative of their skillset than their ranking or number of stars.

by comparison purposes Tyler Powell was a higher ranked recruit but his offer list consisted of seton hall and Pepperdine.

Ryan Nembhard could be a problem for us if healthy again
Or Richmond could be a problem for him, backing him into the paint with his size.

But I agree - he’s a tremendous talent and has some motor - and good genes with his brother from Gonzaga who was drafted in the NBA, I believe.

I do think we have a very mobile and talented squad with guards and bigs who can defend multiple positions. Need everyone to stay mostly healthy though. And really need a healthy Yetna.

The younger Davis seems super promising.

Since he played center all the way to point in high school, seems like he is still well positioned to play the future 3 man spot at 6 foot 8.

I don’t expect any substantial contributions till sophomore year though.

Agreed, at the end of the day he’s still a freshman and won’t contribute this year. Hopefully tho we can retain him and he develops into a serious player. I’m hopeful.

Agreed, at the end of the day he’s still a freshman and won’t contribute this year. Hopefully tho we can retain him and he develops into a serious player. I’m hopeful.
Assuming Tae is as good as advertised, Holloway will give him his share of playing time.

The younger Davis seems super promising.

Since he played center all the way to point in high school, seems like he is still well positioned to play the future 3 man spot at 6 foot 8.

I don’t expect any substantial contributions till sophomore year though.
Nailed it. Very few freshmen contribute.

It takes a while for freshmen to pick up the defensive side of the ball. Missing assignments are getting lost on switches can be very costly. Just being an active defender it’s not enough to get major minutes.

Retaining him is the key. Unfortunately, now you have to not only recruit new players (which…so far we are not off to a good start) but re-recruit your existing players, who can be bought by other teams (notice I didn’t say schools…this is no longer college basketball, it’s the minor leagues)…and we are losing that game badly.

I’d expect 6-8 players turning over every year at this point. Which means…we’ll just never have any continuity on our team…

I’m not bullish on the future…and am losing interest fast.

Retaining him is the key. Unfortunately, now you have to not only recruit new players (which…so far we are not off to a good start) but re-recruit your existing players, who can be bought by other teams (notice I didn’t say schools…this is no longer college basketball, it’s the minor leagues)…and we are losing that game badly.

I’d expect 6-8 players turning over every year at this point. Which means…we’ll just never have any continuity on our team…

I’m not bullish on the future…and am losing interest fast.
I think we are going to be shocked by how much turnover there is each year. If it's just about the benjamin's for a kid, then you get what you pay for. Why else would a kid stick it out? Maybe because his brother is playing with him? Maybe because someone else on the team has a strong connection? Maybe the coach? Money is going to be the driver, but having those other connection points will be critical for limiting turnover.

In our recent Trove interview Rothstein noted the utmost importance of re-recruiting your own players every year. That's what the sport has become because of people pushing Bilas' agenda.

I can't stand Bilas either, but it's far more than just him.

I have no issues with kids earning money off their NIL. If Trevor Lawrence wanted to sell autographs while at Clemson he should be able to do so, or if Gatorade wanted to hire Zion Williamson for a commercial that’s okay with me. They have celebrity status and should be able to profit off that.

However, I don’t think it’s healthy for college basketball to be in a constant state of free agency and allow boosters to buy players with no salary cap.

i actually listened to a great podcast with Fran McCaffery recently. He is vehemently against the current transfer policy, and similar to my above comments is pro NIL but admits this is not NIL - the current environment has turned into pay for play.

I have no issues with kids earning money off their NIL. If Trevor Lawrence wanted to sell autographs while at Clemson he should be able to do so, or if Gatorade wanted to hire Zion Williamson for a commercial that’s okay with me. They have celebrity status and should be able to profit off that.

However, I don’t think it’s healthy for college basketball to be in a constant state of free agency and allow boosters to buy players with no salary cap.

i actually listened to a great podcast with Fran McCaffery recently. He is vehemently against the current transfer policy, and similar to my above comments is pro NIL but admits this is not NIL - the current environment has turned into pay for play.
Agree 100%. The colleges, coaches, media companies and Univ Presidents should be the ones paying the players not the boosters. They are the ones profiting off the players NIL. For years the NCAA did everything they could to keep boosters away from paying players and here we are? How the hell did we get to this solution?

Agree 100%. The colleges, coaches, media companies and Univ Presidents should be the ones paying the players not the boosters. They are the ones profiting off the players NIL. For years the NCAA did everything they could to keep boosters away from paying players and here we are? How the hell did we get to this solution?
It's funny you say that because that was more or less Fran McCaffery's direct quote. He said something to the effect "if they (NCAA/schools) implemented a revenue share years ago when the money started getting out of control we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today with boosters paying the players."

whats the best solution though? kids should be able to profit off their image, but how do you prevent it from just being pay to play??

whats the best solution though? kids should be able to profit off their image, but how do you prevent it from just being pay to play??
If you want to maintain some form of competitive balance I think the most reasonable solution(s) are: implement a salary cap; prevent boosters from making payments; create independent committee that approves the validity of each deal based on market value.

For example, paying Nijel Pack (who has 9k social media followers) $800K and buying him a new car in exchange for promoting a healthcare app is not market value. That is market value for someone with 100M+ followers.

If you want to maintain some form of competitive balance I think the most reasonable solution(s) are: implement a salary cap; prevent boosters from making payments; create independent committee that approves the validity of each deal based on market value.

For example, paying Nijel Pack (who has 9k social media followers) $800K and buying him a new car in exchange for promoting a healthcare app is not market value. That is market value for someone with 100M+ followers.
create an indpendant committee? like those that dish out waivers?

market value is whatever someone is willing to pay no?

In a conference like the Big East, that doesn't get littered with the one-and-done kids, I'd bet there are probably only 3-4 freshman each year who are significant contributors, if that. Last year you had Nembhard and Mohammed. Maybe Jones, throw Kaluma into that mix as the season progressed, and perhaps Alexander which was brought on by Nembhard's injury.

Prior year - Posh, Sanogo and Lewis?

It doesn't seem like a long list each year.

Take the NBA, and eliminate the salary cap; eliminate any rules that exist regarding free agency, don’t permit the player to have an agent, and have essentially no ability to control who is paying the players. That’s what we have.

Its conceivable and probable that a coach has no idea what his players are making. Can you imagine a collective that has no connection with a school and can pay the player to go to a school that they choose?

In a conference like the Big East, that doesn't get littered with the one-and-done kids, I'd bet there are probably only 3-4 freshman each year who are significant contributors, if that. Last year you had Nembhard and Mohammed. Maybe Jones, throw Kaluma into that mix as the season progressed, and perhaps Alexander which was brought on by Nembhard's injury.

Prior year - Posh, Sanogo and Lewis?

It doesn't seem like a long list each year.
wasnt butlers pg a freshman?

wasnt butlers pg a freshman?
Lukocious? He had a huge game in BE tourney and came on as I recall as the season progressed but I don’t think he was a significant impact player most of the year. They had those two sophomore guards plus Thompson who was the starting PG.

Lukocious? He had a huge game in BE tourney and came on as I recall as the season progressed but I don’t think he was a significant impact player most of the year. They had those two sophomore guards plus Thompson who was the starting PG.
he impacted his team much more than the avg BE freshman i thought

Significant contributors….yes there are a limited number. But how many freshman got to be a part of the rotation in the BE.
Playing 10-15 minutes a game, developing, and seeing your potential for the following year, IMO is crucial towards retaining that 3 star type player.

for the various reasons that have been debated previously, our freshman have been non existent or severely limited in recent years.

Hoping that is another change under Shaheen.

I've posted this before but in 2021-22, there were 16 Big East freshmen that were rotation players. That doesn't necessarily mean impact but these are players that played and saw close to double digit minutes on average most nights.

Those 16 players were spread over seven teams which means four teams had no freshman make a meaningful contribution last year. I've noted before Providence got a total of six minutes out of its 2021-22 freshman class. As you see, for the most part the teams that played freshmen had minutes available for those players.

Here's the breakdown, the first number is freshman rotation members and the second is total number of freshmen.

Georgetown 4/5 - Beard, Billingsley, Mohammed, Mutombo
Creighton 4/8 - Alexander, Andronikashvili, Kaluma, Nembhard
Marquette 3/6 - Jones, Joplin, Mitchell
Butler 2/4 - Lukosius, Taylor
St. John's 1/4 - Stanley
UConn 1/4 - Hawkins
Villanova 1/4 - Longino
DePaul 0/1
Xavier 0/2
Seton Hall 0/3
Providence 0/5

I've posted this before but in 2021-22, there were 16 Big East freshmen that were rotation players. That doesn't necessarily mean impact but these are players that played and saw close to double digit minutes on average most nights.

Those 16 players were spread over seven teams which means four teams had no freshman make a meaningful contribution last year. I've noted before Providence got a total of six minutes out of its 2021-22 freshman class. As you see, for the most part the teams that played freshmen had minutes available for those players.

Here's the breakdown, the first number is freshman rotation members and the second is total number of freshmen.

Georgetown 4/5 - Beard, Billingsley, Mohammed, Mutombo
Creighton 4/8 - Alexander, Andronikashvili, Kaluma, Nembhard
Marquette 3/6 - Jones, Joplin, Mitchell
Butler 2/4 - Lukosius, Taylor
St. John's 1/4 - Stanley
UConn 1/4 - Hawkins
Villanova 1/4 - Longino
DePaul 0/1
Xavier 0/2
Seton Hall 0/3
Providence 0/5
Georgetown 0-20. No further comment needed.

Creighton 2 absolute studs

Other than Creighton, the best teams played 1 or fewer freshmen in rotation. Creighton had 2 elite recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT