ADVERTISEMENT

Can Someone Explain

I have a daughter in first grade as well.
She did actually come home one day a few months ago and was talking about people getting married and that a boy can marry a boy and a girl can marry a girl and that’s ok.

Turned out it was because she liked JoJo Siwa and other kids in her class started talking about how JoJo was gay and made fun of that. Prompted a discussion from the teacher to say that it just means she wants to marry a woman, and that boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls and that’s ok.

That was it.
Would that be legally allowed in Florida? Was that classroom “instruction”? I don’t know.
good questions and good discussion

I think teachers need to remain as neutral as possible on the subject of sexual orientation, especially since different cultures view the subject differently. What might be an acceptable answer legally might be not be morally in some situations. I.E., how do you explain the difference between legal acceptance and moral acceptance to a 4, 5 or 6 year old. The best tack in my opinion should be for the teacher to stress respect for the next person regardless of how they look, how they act, etc. and that not all people are alike orthink the same way. Use it as a positive teaching opportunity. They get in tricky territory by telling people that it is OK for boys to marry boys, etc when the child may be for instance from a strict Muslim household. True, its legal, but from the child's family's perspective, perhaps not OK.

Reactions: Pirata and HALL85
good questions and good discussion

I think teachers need to remain as neutral as possible on the subject of sexual orientation, especially since different cultures view the subject differently. What might be an acceptable answer legally might be not be morally in some situations. I.E., how do you explain the difference between legal acceptance and moral acceptance to a 4, 5 or 6 year old. The best tack in my opinion should be for the teacher to stress respect for the next person regardless of how they look, how they act, etc. and that not all people are alike orthink the same way. Use it as a positive teaching opportunity. They get in tricky territory by telling people that it is OK for boys to marry boys, etc when the child may be for instance from a strict Muslim household. True, its legal, but from the child's family's perspective, perhaps not OK.

Exactly. I think it would be good if a teacher can chime in and use it as a positive teaching opportunity. Obviously we could make up theoretical examples of events that could lead to these types of discussions and how a teacher should respond but ultimately I would just prefer the teachers had some guidelines regarding what this law does and does not do.

If it is just about these conversations being a part of curriculum and lesson plans for K-3rd grade, great. No impact since that wasn't happening anyway. If it does something different, then teachers school districts and teachers should understand what that means so they can avoid the lawsuits.

I have a daughter in first grade as well.
She did actually come home one day a few months ago and was talking about people getting married and that a boy can marry a boy and a girl can marry a girl and that’s ok.

Turned out it was because she liked JoJo Siwa and other kids in her class started talking about how JoJo was gay and made fun of that. Prompted a discussion from the teacher to say that it just means she wants to marry a woman, and that boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls and that’s ok.

That was it.
Would that be legally allowed in Florida? Was that classroom “instruction”? I don’t know.
“It’s ok” for who? Your opinion ? Teachers opinion? Even my opinion?

“It’s ok” for who? Your opinion ? Teachers opinion? Even my opinion?

As a society, we have come to accept that gay people exist and legally recognize their unions as marriage.
Our personal opinions on the topic are not really irrelevant to the context of my example where a teacher was trying to get kids to understand that people are different and that's ok.

I am not saying that a teacher HAS to say that. I am just saying that if a teacher CHOOSES to say something like that similar to the example I gave, I don't think parents should have the right to sue the school district and I hope that is not what Florida is codifying into law. I am not yet convinced either way, but I think the concerns from the people who oppose the bill are valid.

As a society, we have come to accept that gay people exist and legally recognize their unions as marriage.
Our personal opinions on the topic are not really irrelevant to the context of my example where a teacher was trying to get kids to understand that people are different and that's ok.

I am not saying that a teacher HAS to say that. I am just saying that if a teacher CHOOSES to say something like that similar to the example I gave, I don't think parents should have the right to sue the school district and I hope that is not what Florida is codifying into law. I am not yet convinced either way, but I think the concerns from the people who oppose the bill are valid.
More blah

My wife brought this post to my attention this morning:

"Several years ago I read the book, “The Hiding Place” by Corrie ten Boom and one particular passage permanently impacted my thinking as a parent:

Oftentimes I would use the trip home to bring up things that were troubling me, since anything I asked at home was promptly answered by the aunts. Once—I must have been ten or eleven—I asked Father about a poem we had read at school the winter before. One line had described “a young man whose face was not shadowed by sexsin.” I had been far too shy to ask the teacher what it meant, and Mama had blushed scarlet when I consulted her.
“Sex,” I was pretty sure, meant whether you were a boy or a girl, and “sin” made Tante Jans very angry, but what the two together meant I could not imagine. And so, seated next to Father in the train compartment, I suddenly asked, “Father, what is sexsin?”
He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case from the rack over our heads, and set it on the floor.
“Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?” he said. I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
“It’s too heavy,” I said.
“Yes,” he said, “And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It’s the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.”
And I was satisfied. More than satisfied—wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this and all my hard questions—for now I was content to leave them in my father’s keeping.
Through the years my older daughters and I have occasionally joked about when the appointed time would come to “throw open all those suitcases!” Of course, as they have matured, so have our private conversations. Now as adults, they truly appreciate those suitcases and have a desire to protect their younger siblings from damaging information.

The next time your little one comes to you with a “heavy” question, perhaps you could use that as an opportunity to talk about… suitcases.

How do you handle questions and discussions that your children are simply not ready for?

As an aside, Corrie Ten Boom was quite a heroine. https://www.shelterhostelamsterdam.com/corrie-ten-boom-house-haarlem/

Reactions: HALL85
The obesession with what might offend less than 5% of the population causing us to teach things that are not appropriate according to 95% of the population must stop.Soft on crime prosecutors,men who want to compete in sports as women ,open borders Joe,etc.The inmates are running the asylum

Reactions: shu09 and SHUSA
My wife brought this post to my attention this morning:

"Several years ago I read the book, “The Hiding Place” by Corrie ten Boom and one particular passage permanently impacted my thinking as a parent:

Through the years my older daughters and I have occasionally joked about when the appointed time would come to “throw open all those suitcases!” Of course, as they have matured, so have our private conversations. Now as adults, they truly appreciate those suitcases and have a desire to protect their younger siblings from damaging information.

The next time your little one comes to you with a “heavy” question, perhaps you could use that as an opportunity to talk about… suitcases.

How do you handle questions and discussions that your children are simply not ready for?

As an aside, Corrie Ten Boom was quite a heroine. https://www.shelterhostelamsterdam.com/corrie-ten-boom-house-haarlem/

A simpler time.

I wish I could carry the burden for my kids but unfortunately that passage was written decades before people had access to the internet.

That's one of the most difficult things as a parent. I can try to control as much as I can, but I don't really get to choose if kids are going to carry the suitcase or not.

Reactions: SHUSA
So just throw in towel then. Take nothing from her insight.

Relax. no one is throwing in a towel. It's a nice passage written before I was born regarding growing up in a time before any of us were born.

All I was saying was that the insight is good and it's just a shame that we don't really have that option anymore as parents.

These social issues are a nice distraction to meaningful progress being made anywhere in our country. Seems stupid to be having these discusssions when inflation is escalating, the border is a mess, we have a war with people dying everyday, an airline industry in a complete meltdown, our shipping ports are still backed up, and crime is up everywhere. You know things are out of control when in the middle of everything we are politically discussing gender issues. What’s next? Discussing these topics are going to be the death of the Democratic Party.

The US isn't in any wars currently. The airline industry is in a complete meltdown? What?
Have you traveled lately? Cancelled flights, escalating prices, delays, over bookings. Airline industry is a mess. There’s a war going on between Russia and Ukraine. We are very much involved sending weapons, money and supplies. My point is these social issues are a distraction to other very real problems for our politicians.

Have you traveled lately? Cancelled flights, escalating prices, delays, over bookings. Airline industry is a mess. There’s a war going on between Russia and Ukraine. We are very much involved sending weapons, money and supplies. My point is these social issues are a distraction to other very real problems for our politicians.

Escalating prices from pent up demand. It's called supply and demand.

Reactions: SHUSA
Escalating prices from pent up demand. It's called supply and demand.
Yes it is, the difference is they are selling something they cannot deliver. It would be like the Yankees selling 70,000 tickets but only had 50,000 seats. A government agency would need to step in. I’m considering filing a claim with the Federal Trade Commission regarding the airlines. Now I’m going to be called out for being off topic. Point is these social issues are an interesting topic for this board to discussed, but in my opinion are a waste of time for politicians and corporations. They should be working on solving real problems.

Yes it is, the difference is they are selling something they cannot deliver. It would be like the Yankees selling 70,000 tickets but only had 50,000 seats. A government agency would need to step in. I’m considering filing a claim with the Federal Trade Commission regarding the airlines. Now I’m going to be called out for being off topic. Point is these social issues are an interesting topic for this board to discussed, but in my opinion are a waste of time for politicians and corporations. They should be working on solving real problems.
man is this the first time you ever flown? been this way since forever

• Haha
Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Fly all the time for business never been this bad. Pandemic screwed this industry up big time. Now we need to fix it.
its literally part of their business model. always been annoying. they wont fix it. the airline industry isnt as profitable as u think. quite the opposite. its the price you pay to have access to air travel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT