ADVERTISEMENT

Can't see how small business restaurants are surviving

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
Suburban NJ i went to a low tier Italian spot previously reviewed by portnoy and left because all i got was a menu in 20 min..went to another spot on major highway and couldn't believe prices for pasta plates and protein entrees. I spend business time in midtown west and these rates are not far off from del friscos grille. I have had pasta at dfg for a 27 dollar plate, healthy portion. I have had their pork chop i believe about 40, well sourced and treated great on plate

Typically i buy at local supermarket and go to costco and sams for protein i can buy in larger quantities and portion for home use. I do go to chain spots maybe twice a month with pf chang and cheesecake factory being my favs.

Suburban NJ i went to a low tier Italian spot previously reviewed by portnoy and left because all i got was a menu in 20 min..went to another spot on major highway and couldn't believe prices for pasta plates and protein entrees. I spend business time in midtown west and these rates are not far off from del friscos grille. I have had pasta at dfg for a 27 dollar plate, healthy portion. I have had their pork chop i believe about 40, well sourced and treated great on plate

Typically i buy at local supermarket and go to costco and sams for protein i can buy in larger quantities and portion for home use. I do go to chain spots maybe twice a month with pf chang and cheesecake factory being my favs.
whats the point you're making? that small business restaurants charge too much money?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I think point may be even NYShore Guy realizes his guy Biden has 20% inflation since his inauguration and no happy talk by his economic advisor about job growth has any impact on most people because they realize most of it was the normal rebound from the pandemic

I think point may be even NYShore Guy realizes his guy Biden has 20% inflation since his inauguration and no happy talk by his economic advisor about job growth has any impact on most people because they realize most of it was the normal rebound from the pandemic
Not certain this is a biden problem vs a problem of post pandemic...inflation comes in cycles no? Or is it typically married to one specific party in the WH?

whats the point you're making? that small business restaurants charge too much money?
I just cant see how pasta plates in central NJ are 25 when del friscos grille rigatoni meat sauce is 27 and protein selection is higher quality

Would make difference if place is doing from scratch day made pastas and then cooking to order but we know these spots not doing that.

20-21 fair...

I just cant see how pasta plates in central NJ are 25 when del friscos grille rigatoni meat sauce is 27 and protein selection is higher quality

Would make difference if place is doing from scratch day made pastas and then cooking to order but we know these spots not doing that.

20-21 fair...
then don't go. we have a lot of homemade pasta places near me that are easily worth the money.

Maybe go crazy and throw Olive Garden or Carrabbas into your international rotation of culinary excellence?

• Haha
I feel like a lot restaurant owners (especially at lower-mid tier places) have taken advantage of the inflation problem and tacked on a lot of extra, unnecessary costs.

It is true that president gets credit or blame on inflation while he is in off.ice My point was the large increase in money supply was one of the main causes of the spike in inflation.Biden still running trillion dollars deficit and eventually that has to stop by either raising taxes or reducing expenses.Or God forbid monetizing the debt which will destroy the purchasing power of the dollar.

Most important question, why did you go to a low tier restaurant to begin with? I can give you 25 local burger, taco or pizza type joints that are far from low tier in the Belleville Bloomfield Nutley Montclair area alone.

Especially something like certain pasta dishes. You can make a terrific, inexpensive Sunday gravy with pasta for a reasonable cost, even with the cost of certain items soaring. Dry, non-fresh pasta is still cheap. Cans of tomatoes or tomato paste are still reasonable. Onions are still cheap. Protein is up for many cuts, but you can buy pork neck bones or a protein like that for a reasonable cost, and if you know how to cook and handle that, make a mean Sunday gravy for cheap. It takes time, but even if you don't know how to do it, check out youtube and you will find plenty of easy to follow recipes and videos.

Most important question, why did you go to a low tier restaurant to begin with? I can give you 25 local burger, taco or pizza type joints that are far from low tier in the Belleville Bloomfield Nutley Montclair area alone.
I originally sought pizza at a place i been too long before the bearded pizza social star

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Especially something like certain pasta dishes. You can make a terrific, inexpensive Sunday gravy with pasta for a reasonable cost, even with the cost of certain items soaring. Dry, non-fresh pasta is still cheap. Cans of tomatoes or tomato paste are still reasonable. Onions are still cheap. Protein is up for many cuts, but you can buy pork neck bones or a protein like that for a reasonable cost, and if you know how to cook and handle that, make a mean Sunday gravy for cheap. It takes time, but even if you don't know how to do it, check out youtube and you will find plenty of easy to follow recipes and videos.
One of the best pasta dishes I’ve had is Assassins Pasta. And the most inexpensive and fun dish to make with your wife. You actually fry/brown raw spaghetti in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Then you add tomato puree and then add a ladle of water every minute until it gets absorbed and the spaghetti softens. That’s it.

Reactions: dehere23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT