ADVERTISEMENT

Class Act by SHU and Willard

mbraue

All World
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2010
The decision to let Tyler Adams score an uncontested dunk today was a class act by SHU and Willard. In what has been a heartbreaking season for the Hall, ranked as high as 19 and now gasping for an NIT bid, it is refreshing to see this kind of sportsmanship. The players competed hard today, had a chance to win, but fell short, especially at the foul line where we shot about 45 percent.

There have been a lot of negative attacks on Willard recently, and I've been among those joining in at times and questioning his ability to lead this team and advance the program. Next year could be his last chance to lead a SHU team if they miss the NCAA tournament. But In fairness, before the season ends, I wanted go on record as saying I'm glad we have a program that graduates players and seems to treat these young men with respect. If you read about the NCAA's recent sanctions against Syracuse's basketball program for its astonishing number of self-reported violations, and the Boston Globe's recent scathing reminder of just how much of a rule-breaker Calipari is, it's nice to give credit to what our program does right. Mobley tweeting that no one can take his degree away from him, Pope and Robinson saying that Willard was like a father figure after the Gonzo mess, and seeing a picture of the coach standing with our seniors last year - Fu, Oliver, Teague, and Gerimapoor - all graduating.

Go Pirates in the Big East tournament! I'm proud to be a Pirate, and have been brutally honest with my negativity at times this year, but am rooting for Willard to add another piece or two to the puzzle for next year to give the team a chance to improve.

Would like to see Seton Hall add another player or two in the 2015 class. I like our team next year, adding Amarveer Singh was a great addition, Soffer could drain some outside shots and Mike Nzei is going to be a player. I will be rooting for Coach Willard, Staff and players to make the dance next year. I truly believe we can finish in the Top 3 of the BE and make the dance. I will be cheering for the Pirates in this year's BE Tournament, I am also proud to be a Seton Hall Alum and Pirate!

This post was edited on 3/7 10:12 PM by Flnj86

This post was edited on 3/7 10:13 PM by Flnj86

Originally posted by mbraue:
The decision to let Tyler Adams score an uncontested dunk today was a class act by SHU and Willard.
Yes it was and to be honest not out of the ordinary. IMO Willard did what most coaches in his position would have done.

Where I have a major problem is the response from Thompson which was bush. And by bush I am being kind.

It showed zero respect to Seton Hall and zero respect to Kevin Willard. I wonder if say Jay Wright did the same (and he would have) would Thompson have responded in a similar fashion? I doubt it.

In fact this is the first time I can ever remember one coach doing this and the other coach not reciprocating.

I lost a ton of respect for Thompson and maybe the saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree is applicable here.

BTW.....

.......However, in a prearranged deal between Auriemma and Villanova Coach Harry Perretta, Sales was allowed to take an uncontested layup after the opening tip for her 2,177th and 2,178th points, breaking the record set by Kerry Bascom from 1987-91. Villanova was also allowed an uncontested basket, and Connecticut went on to win in overtime

The above is linked below. It's also followed by (IMO) one of the dumbest comments you will ever read from a sports commissioner......

Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese, who approved the shot, conceded he would never have approved a similar ploy in men's basketball. He said male and female athletes should not be treated the same.

"It's a women's sport; this was a female player," Tranghese told the New York Daily News. "I am a man. I am not going to pretend to handle decisions on [men and women] exactly the same way."

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/feb/27/sports/sp-23531

I know the above is a different situation because you have an injury situation effecting a record. If you have a problem with that I understand because the decision is certainly debatable. But my point is the two coaches reciprocating and not the reason for the uncontested shot.

Most recently we have seen this happen a few times with the young girl with terminal brain cancer. In every case both teams started the game with uncontested layups.

Sometimes those who think everything is about them might want to chill out a little and do something like Willard did and honor an athlete for his or her courage.

Not that this has anything to do with what happened yesterday but does anyone remember that Sales did not ACTUALLY break that record? After that gimme basket happened somebody (who apparently had way too much time on their hands) went back and found out that in a game vs. Seton Hall at Walsh Gym she was credited with a basket which had actually been scored by a teammate. So in reality she was still a bucket short.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT