ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2023 Four-Star Guard Ty-Laur Johnson breaks down options ahead of college decision

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

IMG_4191-scaled.jpeg

By JACOB POLACHECK

ATLANTA
– Set to announce his college decision on Nov. 12, class of 2023 four-star guard Ty-Laur Johnson broke down his options for ZAGSBLOG on Saturday evening.

The 6-foot, 160-pound point guard from Our Saviour (NY) Lutheran, will be deciding between Seton Hall, N.C. State and Memphis.

“I’m just trying to find a place that can make me comfortable and feel like home,” Johnson said before breaking down his three options:

Seton Hall: “Me and the coach [Shaheen Holloway] are just alike. We’re both small guards. He has a lot of intensity and he pushes his players.”

N.C. State: “I love the facilities. The coaching staff is great. They’re trying to make it my home.”

Memphis: “It’s a great environment. They’ve got a lot of experience in the program. Penny [Hardaway] was a vet in the NBA. I think he could teach me a lot.”

Johnson, the No. 66 overall prospect in the class of 2023 per the On3 Composite rankings, finished with 15 points and eight assists in a 92-88 loss to the City Reapers on Saturday evening with Seton Hall head coach Shaheen Holloway in attendance.

“I’m very fun to watch, a lot of energy,” Johnson said. “I think I’m the best passer in the league and I can score when I need to.”

Moving forward, Johnson said he wants to improve several aspects of his game.

“I definitely want to shoot better, more consistently and stay in front on defense,” he said.

Memphis just landed two more top 50 kids who are guards/wings. No way they are still in the hunt.

More negotiations to be done, lol.
To me, this is no longer recruiting…it is bidding on free agents, no different than the Yankees will be doing re Judge, etc.

Only at the age of these kids, money talks.
So I’m sure things can change at the last minute…if someone comes up with the right offer.

crazy that this is where we are…but…it is.

To me, this is no longer recruiting…it is bidding on free agents, no different than the Yankees will be doing re Judge, etc.

So I’m sure things can change at the last minute…if someone comes up with the right offer.

At least with pros you are dealing with agents, caps and standard contracts.

Bidding with teenagers, parents, handlers and unregulated NIL’s.

First thing he mentioned about NC State was facilities. They still matter even in age of NIL. About 15 years ago I held a corporate meeting at the State athletic complex. Walked from the meeting room to a box for a Hurricanes game. I think that is the same arena for State basketball. Go out from the meeting rooms in another direction and you walk into the football stadium. Gorgeous. SHU needs the best hoops facility it can afford and a sustainable, competitive NIL.

Wont get into details, but some Nova players made some serious coin last year through our collective.

SHU wanted him badly, as did other schools.

And yes, I remember there was a quiet bidding war on him and you are correct, he was a bust.

Memphis just added 3 kids this past weekend there is no way they are still in the mix yet you have guys like Rob Cassidy who still believe Memphis is the front runner. Going to be down to the wire with Tylaur

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT