ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K Retirement Next Year

Let the speculation begin....tough shoes to fill. Does Duke naturally come down a peg or two?

You need villains to root against in the basketball world and as much as I didn't like him , it will be sad to see him go. Same goes with Jimmy B.

Reactions: dehere23
Right or wrong, love him or hate him, Coach K himself is an institution in the sport. Amazing career.

Reactions: HallX2
its really bad because the traditional basketball schools are losing their faces: Duke, UNC, soon to be Cuse. Basketball first schools are losing ground.

Really wanted Gonzaga to win

Would they go after Willard?
This coming from a fan of KW who thinks he's a good coach -- there is no way on earth that Duke at this stage is hiring a guy who has won 1 NCAA game in 10 years in a major conference. I think they go one of two directions. Either the already highly successful "big ticket" whale. Or the up-and-comer that has ties to the program and Coach K's blessing.

Scheyer seems to be the latter. None of the prior Duke assistants have been consistently successful, except for Brey. But he's too old for what Duke is lookin for IMO.

On the former, my first call of course would be to King Jay. To me, if there is ever a college job he'd leave for, it would be Duke. But I don't think he will, and if I were him I wouldn't. He's basically built Nova into Duke, so why leave? Marshall is too toxic now.

Right or wrong, love him or hate him, Coach K himself is an institution in the sport. Amazing career.
Not only an all-time college coach, but I loved what he did helping right the ship with our Olympic teams. And the professionals respected him, which is not a given, these days especially.

Reactions: Piratz
This coming from a fan of KW who thinks he's a good coach -- there is no way on earth that Duke at this stage is hiring a guy who has won 1 NCAA game in 10 years in a major conference. I think they go one of two directions. Either the already highly successful "big ticket" whale. Or the up-and-comer that has ties to the program and Coach K's blessing.

Scheyer seems to be the latter. None of the prior Duke assistants have been consistently successful, except for Brey. But he's too old for what Duke is lookin for IMO.

On the former, my first call of course would be to King Jay. To me, if there is ever a college job he'd leave for, it would be Duke. But I don't think he will, and if I were him I wouldn't. He's basically built Nova into Duke, so why leave? Marshall is too toxic now.
I think Duke would at least make a call to see if there was interest. I would think Duke could offer more than Vtech did to willard

I mean a job pops up and willard has to be a candidate every time doesn’t he? Look what he’s done at shu with minimal resources.... imagine what he could do with Dukes resources
they are going to look at 1 tournament win in 11 years. plus not sure willard is too keen on filling those kinda shoes.

they are going to look at 1 tournament win in 11 years. plus not sure willard is too keen on filling those kinda shoes.
Willard would jump at the Duke job in less time than I took for me to compose this sentence.

But the new Duke AD would get massacred if she even flirted with hiring KW unless Coach K blessed it. I think K is going to pick his successor anyway.

Willard would jump at the Duke job in less time than I took for me to compose this sentence.

But the new Duke AD would get massacred if she even flirted with hiring KW unless Coach K blessed it. I think K is going to pick his successor anyway.
agree to disagree on the first part

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Seems like Duke is a good spot for Brad Stevens.
My first thought as well. Stevens was allegedly offered $10 million a year for 7 years by Indiana and Duke could easily top that. Coach K’s salary at Duke was $7 million per year and with incentives could reach $10 million.

Hey less known coaches in the ACC is better for the Big East

Jay Wright
Pat Ewing
Shaka Smart

These are all known personalities which make up a third of the league

I also thing there are great young up in comers with ....
Hurley
Willard
Mcdermott

All there guys seem like great coaches as well so hopefully something is brewing for great Big East basketball going forward.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski retiring after season​

By Greg Joyce

Another titan in college basketball is on his way out.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s next season will be his last, Stadium reported Wednesday, as the 74-year-old has decided to retire after the 2021-2022 campaign.

The Hall of Famer is entering his 42nd season as head coach of the Blue Devils, who have won five national championships and 15 ACC championships under his watch.

duke.jpg

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is retiring after next season.
Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The report stated that former Duke player and current assistant Jon Scheyer is the favorite to replace him.

duke2.jpg

Jon Scheyer is the favorite to be the next coach at
Duke.Getty Images

Duke missed the NCAA tournament this past season for the first time since 1995.

Krzyzewski’s retirement will come after his biggest rival, North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, announced his own retirement in April.

I dont understand how you dont go Bobby Hurley on this one. Has he won at AZ State ... not really but he's got everything lined up for him to be great.

Reactions: hallstorm
its really bad because the traditional basketball schools are losing their faces: Duke, UNC, soon to be Cuse. Basketball first schools are losing ground.

Really wanted Gonzaga to win
No, others will just step up.

Watch how Mike Woodson restores Indiana to national prominence all based on his ability to attract top talent to IU.

I always thought it would be Amaker, Dawkins or Hurley in no particular order at the time. Amaker has had some success in the NCAA with Harvard. Dawkins as somebody posted here the 2 NIT championships he won are just not enough to move the needle for any HC position.

I'm really thinking this was not his idea. GM is not a promotion.
All depends if you believe the part about him wanting to take a step back from coaching. What’s he’s doing is what Ainge did earlier in his career. With Tatum and Brown as building blocks, and it being the Celtics, that’s a pretty good gig to have though the Kemba contract looks like a problem.

I always thought it would be Amaker, Dawkins or Hurley in no particular order at the time. Amaker has had some success in the NCAA with Harvard. Dawkins as somebody posted here the 2 NIT championships he won are just not enough to move the needle for any HC position.
Hurley has recruited well at Az St but underachieved. Still while K’s shoes are impossible to fill, and often the guy replacing a legend steps into a hard if not impossible spot, it is still one of the top 3 jobs in the sport.

I can't imagine Duke going with anyone that doesn't have a pedigree associated with the university. Too many guys out there with solid resumes that came through the school. Unless there is a clear cut home run out there (Stevens), don't see this being a level playing field for a non-Dukie.

agree to disagree on the first part
I’m not knocking our program, but I think there are probably less than 10 coaches in the country that wouldn’t jump at the Duke job, even replacing a legend. You have a realistic chance to win a National title within a year or two and there aren’t many places it’s easier to recruit at. Yes the bar will be insanely high to please that fan base and alumni. But it’s a bar that is achievable under many scenarios.

No. Zero chance. And I like Willard
I dont think there is any chance that happens either.

But Kevin's career so far far surpasses K at Army...

The AD at Army back then was sure on the ball, hiring 2 guys who could be called the goat college coach.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Is Capel a definite no-shot? He hasn’t been great at Pittsburgh yet but he’s had past success at Oklahoma and VCU. He fits a lot of needs.

It should be zero surprise that it's Jon Scheyer. He's been pretty consistently noted as one of the leading candidates in recent years, the only thing that was missing was the anointment as coach-in-waiting.

My thought is they spoke to Amaker and Dawkins out of due diligence but like with Hubert Davis at UNC this decision was made some time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT