ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K Retirement Next Year

I’m not knocking our program, but I think there are probably less than 10 coaches in the country that wouldn’t jump at the Duke job, even replacing a legend. You have a realistic chance to win a National title within a year or two and there aren’t many places it’s easier to recruit at. Yes the bar will be insanely high to please that fan base and alumni. But it’s a bar that is achievable under many scenarios.
some people want different things

I always thought it would be Amaker, Dawkins or Hurley in no particular order at the time. Amaker has had some success in the NCAA with Harvard. Dawkins as somebody posted here the 2 NIT championships he won are just not enough to move the needle for any HC position.
Ian O’Connor was on the Michael Kay show today promoting his new book about Coach K. During the interview Kay asked him who was his favorite player and his answer was Bobby Hurley. Amaker, Dawkins and Hurley all had head coaching experience which I thought would be a factor , guess not.

Reactions: TomD82
Those posters mentioning Hurley have the wrong Hurley.
If Kevin wins 22 games this year he would certainly be in the mix.
At what point did P.J. become of interest to KY?

Hey less known coaches in the ACC is better for the Big East

Jay Wright
Pat Ewing
Shaka Smart

These are all known personalities which make up a third of the league

I also thing there are great young up in comers with ....
Hurley
Willard
Mcdermott

All there guys seem like great coaches as well so hopefully something is brewing for great Big East basketball going forward.

I’m sure 56 year old Greg McDermott appreciates being considered both young and an up-and-comer.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
I know the Duke trustees already approved Scheyer as K's replacement so it's a done deal, but wouldn't the most incredible story have been Danny Hurley as K's successor? During their playing days, it was Bobby always outshining Danny, etc., ad infinitum.

K recruited Bobby but not Danny ... but imagine if he handpicked Danny as the guy now? The sports media would have a field day with it, the ironic twist of fate it would present. Oh well...

Who is Jon Scheyer? Meeting the Duke basketball assistant who will be Coach K's successor​

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

Jon Scheyer couldn't possibly have chosen bigger shoes to fill for his first head-coaching job.

The man likely tasked with replacing the winningest college basketball coach ever is a former Duke player who moved to the Blue Devils' bench just eight years ago and was promoted to associate head coach in 2018. Scheyer has never been a head coach.

Mike Krzyzewski single-handedly turned Duke into one of the top programs in college basketball after taking over in 1980. Krzyzewski won five national championships, went to 12 Final Fours, won 12 ACC regular-season titles and 15 ACC tournament championships. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2001 and the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006. Krzyzewski led Team USA to gold medals at three Olympic Games and two FIBA World Championships.

That's the résumé of the man Scheyer is expected to replace following the 2021-22 college basketball season.

So who is Jon Scheyer, the 33-year-old Illinois native hand-picked to lead one of the bluest of blue blood programs?

Until now, Scheyer was known more for his on-court exploits than his coaching career. He is one of the top scorers in Illinois high school basketball history, winning a state championship at Glenbrook North High School as a junior in 2005 and earning Illinois Mr. Basketball honors in 2006. A five-star prospect and McDonald's All American, Scheyer chose Duke over the likes of Illinois, Arizona and Wisconsin.

During his four years in Durham, Scheyer averaged 14.4 points and shot better than 38% from 3-point range. He led Duke to a national championship in 2010 after earning All-America and first-team All-ACC honors as a senior.

"I think it was an important step for Duke to get to the Final Four and win a national championship," Scheyer told ESPN in 2020, on the subject of the 2010 title. "It had been a few years. And we did it a different way. They could see us grow together, and it put us in a position the following year. Nolan [Smith], Kyle [Singler] back, Kyrie [Irving] coming in. It was huge. I think about myself even. I work at Duke now, clearly, every day I'm in Cameron. I can't imagine being in there and not seeing the 2010 banner. I wouldn't look back on my career the same exact way. That's just the reality."

Scheyer didn't land a roster spot in the NBA, but played for two seasons overseas for Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel and Gran Canaria in Spain.

He returned to Durham in 2013 as a special assistant, before being promoted a year later to assistant coach and then associate head coach along with Nate James in 2018. (James became the head coach at Austin Peay this offseason.)

"What a great addition to the Duke Basketball staff!" Krzyzewski said in a statement when he first hired Scheyer in 2013. "Jon Scheyer is one of the amazing champions we've had in this program and he's certainly one of the greatest young men to ever wear the Duke uniform. He's universally loved by Duke fans. It is incredibly exciting to be part of his journey to become a coach. Jon will add all the things he brought to Duke as a player, this time as a member of our staff. We are so proud that Jon is joining us at Duke."

Scheyer's stock has continued to rise as a coach since he joined the Duke bench. Early on, he was credited with his development of Duke's guards, namely Tyus Jones and Luke Kennard. Following the departure of Jeff Capel to Pittsburgh, Scheyer took on a bigger recruiting role and was the lead recruiter for the likes of Jayson Tatum and Zion Williamson.

He was linked to a couple of vacant head-coaching jobs this past carousel, but ultimately returned to Duke for a fourth season as Krzyzewski's associate head coach.

It turned out to be the best decision he could make.

In 10 months, Scheyer will likely be the head coach of Duke men's basketball.

Those posters mentioning Hurley have the wrong Hurley.
If Kevin wins 22 games this year he would certainly be in the mix.
At what point did P.J. become of interest to KY?
When he went to the FF...

Reactions: HALL85

CARLESIMO SAYS `NO THANKS' TO KENTUCKY'S LURE OF MONEY, GLORY​

By Associated Press May 2, 1989

Kentucky had everything to offer P.J. Carlesimo: money, a tradition-rich basketball program, a 23,000-seat arena and television and radio exposure unimagined by a college basketball coach in the New York metropolitan area.

All Seton Hall could offer in return was loyalty. That was more than enough for Carlesimo.Carlesimo, 39, completed days of soul-searching Monday by ending talks with the University of Kentucky and deciding to remain as the head basketball coach at Seton Hall, the school he took to the brink of a national championship just one year after students asked that he be fired.

Carlesimo said that neither money nor anticipated NCAA sanctions against Kentucky played a part in his decision.

"The factor was Seton Hall," Carlesimo said in an impromptu news conference as he walked to his car. "I really like it here. I've been treated well. Kentucky is the kind of a situation you have to look at. It never got as far as people speculated it did."

Both Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton and Carlesimo said the job was never offered to Carlesimo last week when he visited Lexington.

Carlesimo had been mulling a possible move to Kentucky since visiting the Lexington campus April 24 for more than a day of interviews.

The Associated Press initially quoted two unidentified sources that day as saying Carlesimo would accept the Kentucky job, but not until he talked to Seton Hall officials.

On Friday, however, one of the sources quoted in the original report said Carlesimo seemed to be having second thoughts about the job.

The same source said Carlesimo never definitely accepted the job and it was never formally offered.

"I'm sure it's a tough decision for him to turn it down," Newton said in London, Ky., where he was attending an alumni gathering. "I admire him and I'm very appreciative that he didn't string us along. I think he had, and probably still does have, a very strong interest in Kentucky. But he's made his decision to stay."

Carlesimo announced his decision after a locker room meeting with six returning players that lasted for three minutes.

"He sat down and evaluated his priorities and I guess his priorities are here," said Anthony Avent, who should be the Pirates' starting center next season. "All the money in the world can't make you happy."

The Kentucky job reportedly carries a $600,000 salary, more than twice the amount Carlesimo made at Seton Hall last season. The Wildcats' home court also is about 10 times bigger than the Pirates' Walsh Arena on the South Orange campus. Kentucky is the big game in town, as opposed to Seton Hall, which needed to go to the Final Four to get the total attention of the New York media.

Kentucky is trying to replace Eddie Sutton, who resigned under pressure in the wake of an NCAA investigation.

It should be zero surprise that it's Jon Scheyer. He's been pretty consistently noted as one of the leading candidates in recent years, the only thing that was missing was the anointment as coach-in-waiting.

My thought is they spoke to Amaker and Dawkins out of due diligence but like with Hubert Davis at UNC this decision was made some time ago.
Wait the blond guy from Dukes of Hazzard? Well that's ironic.

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1

Kentucky had everything to offer P.J. Carlesimo: money, a tradition-rich basketball program, a 23,000-seat arena and television and radio exposure unimagined by a college basketball coach in the New York metropolitan area.

All Seton Hall could offer in return was loyalty. That was more than enough for Carlesimo.Carlesimo, 39, completed days of soul-searching Monday by ending talks with the University of Kentucky and deciding to remain as the head basketball coach at Seton Hall, the school he took to the brink of a national championship just one year after students asked that he be fired.

Carlesimo said that neither money nor anticipated NCAA sanctions against Kentucky played a part in his decision.

"The factor was Seton Hall," Carlesimo said in an impromptu news conference as he walked to his car. "I really like it here. I've been treated well. Kentucky is the kind of a situation you have to look at. It never got as far as people speculated it did."

Both Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton and Carlesimo said the job was never offered to Carlesimo last week when he visited Lexington.

Carlesimo had been mulling a possible move to Kentucky since visiting the Lexington campus April 24 for more than a day of interviews.

The Associated Press initially quoted two unidentified sources that day as saying Carlesimo would accept the Kentucky job, but not until he talked to Seton Hall officials.

On Friday, however, one of the sources quoted in the original report said Carlesimo seemed to be having second thoughts about the job.

The same source said Carlesimo never definitely accepted the job and it was never formally offered.

"I'm sure it's a tough decision for him to turn it down," Newton said in London, Ky., where he was attending an alumni gathering. "I admire him and I'm very appreciative that he didn't string us along. I think he had, and probably still does have, a very strong interest in Kentucky. But he's made his decision to stay."

Carlesimo announced his decision after a locker room meeting with six returning players that lasted for three minutes.

"He sat down and evaluated his priorities and I guess his priorities are here," said Anthony Avent, who should be the Pirates' starting center next season. "All the money in the world can't make you happy."

The Kentucky job reportedly carries a $600,000 salary, more than twice the amount Carlesimo made at Seton Hall last season. The Wildcats' home court also is about 10 times bigger than the Pirates' Walsh Arena on the South Orange campus. Kentucky is the big game in town, as opposed to Seton Hall, which needed to go to the Final Four to get the total attention of the New York media.

Kentucky is trying to replace Eddie Sutton, who resigned under pressure in the wake of an NCAA investigation.
GOD bless PJ Carlesimo!

Part of that article gave me a chuckle thinking about Sham-aker...

Isn't that exactly what Tommy did before running out of town to Michigan?🤔

Wait the blond guy from Dukes of Hazzard? Well that's ironic.
Lolzzz 😆...he wouldn't be able to drive that car anymore though...heck the way things have gotten I can't even reference the darn car's name here 😮😛

I always thought it would be Amaker, Dawkins or Hurley in no particular order at the time. Amaker has had some success in the NCAA with Harvard. Dawkins as somebody posted here the 2 NIT championships he won are just not enough to move the needle for any HC position.
Great to hear The Rat🐀 is leaving! 🐁 Would love to see Sham-aker get the job! Win-win for this fan. Would get to see "The Empty Suit" fail at another high profile job and would drag the Dook program down as well! Not gonna happen but that scenario is sure fun to think about!;)

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I’m sure 56 year old Greg McDermott appreciates being considered both young and an up-and-comer.
Or that Mike Anderson appreciates being left out while Patrick Ewing is listed despite a resume better than anyone on that list not named Jay Wright.

GOD bless PJ Carlesimo!

Part of that article gave me a chuckle thinking about Sham-aker...

Isn't that exactly what Tommy did before running out of town to Michigan?🤔
And crazy because their second choice was Pitino.

Reactions: Seton75
Hurley has recruited well at Az St but underachieved. Still while K’s shoes are impossible to fill, and often the guy replacing a legend steps into a hard if not impossible spot, it is still one of the top 3 jobs in the sport.
I don't disagree about Bobby, but he had a definite NCAA team 2 years ago. UNC went the AC route and Hubert has a way higher profile than this Duke guy I would think. Why wouldn't Duke go with a favorite son or a class that saved coach K type?

I don't disagree about Bobby, but he had a definite NCAA team 2 years ago. UNC went the AC route and Hubert has a way higher profile than this Duke guy I would think. Why wouldn't Duke go with a favorite son or a class that saved coach K type?
I agree with you that of all the alums, I think he is the most logical. K's favorite son. Had success in propelling a mid-major to the dance. Has been "fine" at a high major that isn't one of the better jobs in that league. Not great or even very good, but certainly not poor either. For some reason though they are locked in on Scheyer it seems.

Reactions: TomD82
Also, I'm removing Brey from the equation because of his age. If he was 10 years younger, I think he'd be an obvious choice. The last few years notwithstanding, he's been pretty consistently good at both of his HC stops, been to multiple Elite 8s and at least one Sweet 16. Notre Dame is a good basketball job of course, but it certainly plays second fiddle there.

What about Dukie V? Tons of coaching experience and the kids love him. Might have to take a pay cut though!

I bought every paper that morning. Ledger. Nada. Daily news...nothing. so I read the nyt, and read pj said no. That was a great train ride.

Reactions: MichiganStoleTitle

They did go for a favorite son. Scheyer has been groomed for the job for the past several years.

And at age 33, he's the same age as Coach K was when he took the job.

Mike Krzyzewski gets to go out on his terms, but Duke exit not surprising given game's changing landscape​

Coach K's farewell tour over the 2021-22 season will be one to remember​

https://www.cbssports.com/writers/gary-parrish/

By Gary Parrish

There was growing speculation in recent weeks that maybe, just maybe, something like this might be in the works -- that a mere two months after Roy Williams surprisingly retired at North Carolina, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski could be on the verge of announcing his plan to exit the sport he's headlined literally for decades. So no, Wednesday's news that the winningest coach in the history of men's Division I basketball will retire after one more season didn't completely come out of nowhere, but that doesn't make the development any less jarring if only because nobody has been more synonymous with college basketball than Krzyzewski has been for, give or take, the past 30 years.

Everybody knows Coach K.

Think about that.

You don't have to be a basketball fan, or even a sports fan, to be familiar with Krzyzewski. You know the voice, the hair, the remarkable accomplishments. In a sport where single-word monikers are fairly common -- Tark, Tubby, Cal, Huggs, so on and so forth -- only one man has ever owned a single letter.

K is K.

And now K is on his way out.

"My family and I view today as a celebration," Krzyzewski said. "Our time at both West Point and Duke has been beyond amazing, and we are thankful and honored to have led two college programs at world-class institutions for more than four decades. That, coupled with 11 unforgettable years as the United States National Team coach, has resulted in a remarkable journey. Certainly, I have been blessed to coach some of the finest young men and greatest players in basketball history as a direct result of these unique opportunities. For us, there is no greater joy than being part of our players' respective endeavors through basketball, and more importantly, their lives off the court. Our family is eternally grateful to everyone who contributed to our career for the past 46 years. So, to the countless members of our extended family, thank you very much."

In conversations with people around Krzyzewski in recent months, two things became increasingly clear: (1) The end was coming sooner than later, but (2) Krzyzewski was motivated to leave on a high note. And when you take those two things into account, the plan Duke officials have put into place actually makes a lot of sense because it allows the Naismith Memorial Hall of Famer to distance himself from last season's disaster that ended with the Blue Devils missing the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1995 while simultaneously providing him with an off ramp just weeks after turning 75 next February.

Will Duke be the favorite to win what would be Krzyzewski's sixth national championship?

No.

But the Blue Devils should be legitimate contenders thanks to a recruiting class headlined by five-star prospect Paolo Banchero, the possible No. 1 overall pick of the 2022 NBA Draft. So, at least theoretically, Krzyzewski will have a shot to go out on top, and if not on top, at least with something significantly better than the 10th-place finish in the ACC he just recorded.

Either way, he'll never have to look at the transfer portal again.

I note that to point out that it's hard to get around the fact that the sport Krzyzewski entered as an assistant at Indiana in 1974 is nearly nothing like the one he'll be exiting in 2022. Once upon a time, you could recruit a Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley or Grant Hill and be reasonably sure you'd coach them for multiple years, perhaps four straight years. Now, recruiting five-star prospects more often leads to replacing them after only one season. When you combine that with the new transfer rules that require coaches to rerecruit their own teams annually, well, it's a lot. And that's why it should be unsurprising that a man deep into his 70s -- with all of the money in the world, a legacy cemented and grandkids to love -- doesn't have much interest in living that life anymore.

So, let the farewell tour commence.

Yes, I know the whole thing will be exhausting for some -- specifically the anti-Duke crowd that never misses a chance to kick a program when it's down (even if it's almost never down), but if you can set that to the side, the truth is that it's rare we know in advance that we're about to watch an icon of this stature coach or play for the final time. So in that respect, this will be fun and cool and clearly the biggest storyline of the season, especially if Duke proves to be a contender that makes it realistic to think the final game of the 2022 NCAA Tournament could double as the last game of Coach K's incredible career.

As tedious as it already is, just think how unwatchable ESPN will be next winter.
remote-control-with-netflix-button-picture-id828499538

• Haha
Reactions: SHUSource
It’s unbelievable the longevity some of these guys A
It’s unbelievable the longevity some of these guys have.
And I think in college we will still see that to some degree. In the major professional sports, it will be increasingly rare IMO. Popovich and Belichick are outliers. If you get a HC or manager that goes more than 10 years, it will be a rare circumstance. Besides those two, I think there are only a handful of NFL or NBA head coaches that are past the 10 year mark.

One thing Coach K was able to do, that his mentor was not (for whatever reason) was adapt to the changes in the game.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT