ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff moving from four teams to 12

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Jeremy Layton

The College Football Playoff will be changing in a big way.

The Post confirmed that after a meeting Friday, the CFP Board of Directors made the decision to increase the number of teams in the postseason tournament from four – not to eight, as some were expecting, but 12.

ESPN’s Pete Thamel was first to report the expansion. Sports Illustrated reported that the decision was unanimous, and that the implementation date will be left up to the conference commissioners to decide, though, according to The Post’s Zach Braziller, the goal is for it to start as soon as 2024.

The expectation is that the field will be the six highest-ranked conference champions and six at-larges.

The motivation for the expansion — money, according to Thamel — renewed once USC and UCLA joined the Big Ten, per Braziller.

The CFP board is expected to announce the decision later today.

Good for the sport. So first four bye I suppose?
lol. I remember when they spewed the BS that a playoff was no good for the scholar athletes.
Then…they had a 4 team playoff and it was “no we can’t increase that; it’s too much on these poor kids “

Then…the networks approached them and said “do you know how much money we’ll pay for an expanded playoff? And…imagine the selection show!”

oh…and the players are getting paid now, so they’re not really scholar athletes anymore…so let’s do it!

hypocrites right to the bank

Last edited:
Within 5 years there simply will be two major football conferences with a 15-17 game regular season and a 16 team playoff format with 8 from each conference. National title game would be the week between NFL conference title and the super bowl. It’s inevitable.

Within 5 years there simply will be two major football conferences with a 15-17 game regular season and a 16 team playoff format with 8 from each conference. National title game would be the week between NFL conference title and the super bowl. It’s inevitable.
There is a strong probability that players will share in the revenue from the tv deal. Pro football.

How many games a year are these student athletes going to play in a season now?

For the Big East the moment of reckoning comes when the current FOX ( who over paid in a rush to get traction) contract expires and TBEC goes hunting for deals. There may not be enough interest with all the Super conferences gobbling up time. A slippery slope ahead!!

Reactions: Section112
Maybe we’ll see the BE cut a deal with Amazon or Apple or some newly formed streaming channel as the way sports is broadcast is evolving rapidly and may offer a way for the BE to find a niche for itself and prosper.

Maybe we’ll see the BE cut a deal with Amazon or Apple or some newly formed streaming channel as the way sports is broadcast is evolving rapidly and may offer a way for the BE to find a niche for itself and prosper.
Based on their train wreck baseball broadcasts, anything but Apple!

That will definitely be a strong possibility!

still no Cinderellas possible
Cinderella’s don’t exist in college football because there is no parity. 90% of P5 schools can’t compete with the top teams, gorget the group of 5 schools.

it appears tho that at least one group of 5 school will get in which is cool.

Cinderella’s don’t exist in college football because there is no parity. 90% of P5 schools can’t compete with the top teams, gorget the group of 5 schools.

it appears tho that at least one group of 5 school will get in which is cool.
They really need to cut the number of scholarships for Division I football. 60 should be more than enough.

They really need to cut the number of scholarships for Division I football. 60 should be more than enough.
Bingo. That’s really why you have no parity. 64 P5 teams with 85 scholarships each…you do the math. What type of talent are the group of 5 schools getting? Compare that to basketball and you have high end talent playing at mid majors.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Football at the highest level can only be afforded by the big schools with big budgets. Once they went to paying players, the expanded playoff made more sense. The big universities just want the money. Players getting NIL that project for the NFL won't all play in these playoffs as there is little incentive. NIL is not tied to playing in the football playoff. Hopefully that damages the playoff reputation in the end and it takes away some of the expanded playoffs' credibility. TV money has made schools and coaches boatloads of money, but it has also expedited the ruin of the money sports.

Bingo. That’s really why you have no parity. 64 P5 teams with 85 scholarships each…you do the math. What type of talent are the group of 5 schools getting? Compare that to basketball and you have high end talent playing at mid majors.
Pro rosters don’t have 85 so why do colleges need that many?

The way this is set up, seems like it’s likely going to mitigate any major conference realignment changes in the foreseeable future assuming this helps Notre Dame stay independent and I believe the champions from the top 6 rated conferences get automatic invites.

Not to mention, another money grab situation in terms of TV revenue potential.

The way this is set up, seems like it’s likely going to mitigate any major conference realignment changes in the foreseeable future assuming this helps Notre Dame stay independent and I believe the champions from the top 6 rated conferences get automatic invites.

Not to mention, another money grab situation in terms of TV revenue potential.
That’s not the way I interpreted. I read it as - the six highest ranked teams that are also their conference champions.

There are 10 fbs conferences (ACC, pac12, Big12, BigTen, sec, sun belt, cusa, American, Mac, mountain west). The 6 highest ranked champions from those conferences will get the 6 auto bids.

said differently this will not be the top 12 ranked teams in the nation.

Last edited:
This roster will finish in the top 3rd of the BE Conference, very talented, hard nosed players, multiple players that are very good 3 pt shooters (especially when an offensive play are run for them), enough talented depth to press on defense and run the fast break on offense. Sha is a very good coach.

We’ve done pretty well lately in recruiting brothers. Let’s add another set of siblings!

That’s not the way I interpreted. I read it as - the six highest ranked teams that are also their conference champions.

There are 10 fbs conferences (ACC, pac12, Big12, BigTen, sec, sun belt, cusa, American, Mac, mountain west). The 6 highest ranked champions from those conferences will get the 6 auto bids.

said differently this will not be the top 12 ranked teams in the nation.
You could be right SOB. Either way, I assume the result will be similar (SEC, B1G, ACC, Big 12, Pac 10 and then who knows).

My point still stands; it would potentially mitigate the desire for further conference realignment. Unless schools will just be money grubbing whores and just go for the Conference TV revenue deals up front.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT