ADVERTISEMENT

Confessions Of A College Sports Fan - Setonian

CT Pirate

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing. That’s a wonderful writing and really speaks to me and my own experiences.

’ve been asked quite a bit why I have such passion for a college sports team, because for me it’s so personal. I hold onto both good and bad experiences with the team and it hits more.

I’ll probably send them this article to explain to people like my partner and other friends who didn’t have that type of experience to show why it means so much to me and why I’ve been wasting so much time on this board recently just for any connection with other people who feel the same way I do, despite it being a bit of a toxic relationship the past few weeks with how the team played and you can see it on here how short tempered so many are taking it out on each other, yet this crazy bunch here is the closest grasp to normal.

March Madness is normally my favorite time of year yet it’s all so hollow this year. It’s not just the Pirates not being in it, everything is just so surreal and weird doing this again for the first time in two years when two years feels like a lifetime ago.

I haven’t even felt up to filling out a bracket yet. I wonder how many others here feel like that or if it’s just me. I

don’t want to start a debate I’m just really worn out after a year of this and especially after what the pandemic took from us and our team last year, can I enjoy March Madness the same as before with what happened and how disappointing this season was and everything going on in the world does it really make sense to seek so much emotional energy and stress relief from watching games?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Thank you so much for sharing. That’s a wonderful writing and really speaks to me and my own experiences.

’ve been asked quite a bit why I have such passion for a college sports team, because for me it’s so personal. I hold onto both good and bad experiences with the team and it hits more.

I’ll probably send them this article to explain to people like my partner and other friends who didn’t have that type of experience to show why it means so much to me and why I’ve been wasting so much time on this board recently just for any connection with other people who feel the same way I do, despite it being a bit of a toxic relationship the past few weeks with how the team played and you can see it on here how short tempered so many are taking it out on each other, yet this crazy bunch here is the closest grasp to normal.

March Madness is normally my favorite time of year yet it’s all so hollow this year. It’s not just the Pirates not being in it, everything is just so surreal and weird doing this again for the first time in two years when two years feels like a lifetime ago.

I haven’t even felt up to filling out a bracket yet. I wonder how many others here feel like that or if it’s just me. I

don’t want to start a debate I’m just really worn out after a year of this and especially after what the pandemic took from us and our team last year, can I enjoy March Madness the same as before with what happened and how disappointing this season was and everything going on in the world does it really make sense to seek so much emotional energy and stress relief from watching games?
just you, there isnt a bracket pool i wont say no to. it has been emotionally exhausting but this is like the clouds parting. the bad times are over. the ncaa tournament was the massive checkpoint to start covid hell, and now its going to be a massive checkpoint to end it.

this is the first year ive ever filled out a bracket where my team reverts back to not being in it. (fan since late 2000s). of course it stinks but it was bound to happen sometime. for now im just going to enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to watch it in general. and i can catch every game from home now :)

Although I was interested as recently as a day or two ago, I now don't seem to have much interest in filling out a bracket. This season has been a joke with all of the dumb rules and the tournament will be more of the same. Never been less excited for an NCAA Tournament. I'll probably watch a few games here and there but I won't be glued to the TV as I'd usually be.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Wonderful little essay that captures many of the intangibles of fandom.

My joy in reading this is likely only surpassed by the pride it must have given you
to write it.

Thanks for the contribution.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Well done. Just sent your link to the school.
Thank you for the kind comments as well as for all you do to keep this old dawg engaged with Hall hoops. Like your work with the boards, writing is my labor of love as I wind down 40 plus years in the advertising game. Appreciate you sending it along. Little did I know when I stepped on the campus back in September of 1974 that I would be entering into a life long passion for Setonia.

Wonderful little essay that captures many of the intangibles of fandom.

My joy in reading this is likely only surpassed by the pride it must have given you
to write it.

Thanks for the contribution.
Thank you. It came from the heart as I wanted to express myself about all things Setonia hoops!

Reactions: mikewalsh

Thanks. Set

Thank you. People that don't have a connection to a college school or team often have a hard time understanding. We all live and die with the games. I too haven't felt like filling out a bracket. At least Pirate Crew gives us the hope for the future. At 64, i have no time for rebuilds.

Couldn't agree more with the OP. I have the pro teams I follow but nothing (well almost nothing) compares to my allegiance to UConn. The highs are higher the lows are lower. It is a great ride. Now the one exception I will make is the Sox winning the World Series in 2004. That was incredibly emotional. I might even give that nod over UConn winning 1999, maybe. Of course 2004 was a great year for New England sports fans. BoSox, Pats, UConn men and the UConn women all were the last teams standing. That was one hell of a ride.

Reactions: CT Pirate
Thank you for the kind comments as well as for all you do to keep this old dawg engaged with Hall hoops. Like your work with the boards, writing is my labor of love as I wind down 40 plus years in the advertising game. Appreciate you sending it along. Little did I know when I stepped on the campus back in September of 1974 that I would be entering into a life long passion for Setonia.
I've already gotten feedback from the top and they loved your work.

I've already gotten feedback from the top and they loved your work.
Thanks. That's high praise. They can certainly have my rights approval to use it wherever. That's how much I think of the school and what my four year e xperience has meant to me both personally and professionally. Wish I didn't live so far away as I would have season tickets. I do my part with Pirate Blue. Appreciate you sending it along.

That's a great piece of writing. Thanks for writing it.

Speaking for me personally, while I am a huge sports fan, Seton Hall basketball is the one thing the brings out passion in me. Even though I am a near lifelong fan of the Mets, Giants and Nets, I don't have the same connection to those teams that I do with Seton Hall. It's been years since I've been to a Nets game (they were still in NJ I think) and I go to one or maybe two Mets games a year but I drop thousands annually on Seton Hall basketball between season tickets, nearby road games, Big East Tournament tickets and Pirate Blue. That doesn't include anything else I might do for the University independent of basketball.

Seton Hall brought me education, a path to pursuing a livelihood and most importantly lifelong friends. We're all a great big family and thus it has a personal connection that watching the transient pros doesn't provide.

Reactions: BucBloc
That's a great piece of writing. Thanks for writing it.

Speaking for me personally, while I am a huge sports fan, Seton Hall basketball is the one thing the brings out passion in me. Even though I am a near lifelong fan of the Mets, Giants and Nets, I don't have the same connection to those teams that I do with Seton Hall. It's been years since I've been to a Nets game (they were still in NJ I think) and I go to one or maybe two Mets games a year but I drop thousands annually on Seton Hall basketball between season tickets, nearby road games, Big East Tournament tickets and Pirate Blue. That doesn't include anything else I might do for the University independent of basketball.

Seton Hall brought me education, a path to pursuing a livelihood and most importantly lifelong friends. We're all a great big family and thus it has a personal connection that watching the transient pros doesn't provide.

You summed it up beautifully about how much Setonia means to us. The price to value relationship is immeasurable. Thanks for the kind comments. It is so great as a writer when your words impact an audience. #halltheway

Reactions: SHUSA
There is no passion in sports like rooting for your alma mater. Thanks for the great read. It hits home.
Nice that your son chose a school with big time football too. It must have brought you a chuckle (or some pain) when your son told you that UM was his choice!

• Haha
Reactions: CT Pirate and CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT