ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Update

HALL85

All Universe
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Got permission to share the following summary. Everything pointing in the right direction:

Each Tuesday, the Covid-19 Forecast Hub posts a rolling 4-week ensemble forecast of Covid-19 cases and deaths in the United States. Regularly, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) publishes its own projections. IHME is one of several dozen academic and research organizations that provide models included in the ensemble forecast. We use these latest forecasts to assess where we stand with Covid-19 in the U.S.

As we shared in an earlier report, the Atlantic stopped updating its Covid Tracking Project dataset last weekend. We had relied on this site for test and hospitalization data. Beginning with today's report, we replace this information with similar data from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). As is the case with any change in datasets, the sites rely on different sources and methods of obtaining data, which results in some differences in raw totals; however, the data appears to be aligned directionally. A larger problem stems from time lags built into the HHS reporting process: at this point, HHS's test data reflects a seven-day delay and the hospital data a four-day delay. Despite these delays, we are confident that the data provide excellent insight into how these vital signs are trending.

Cases and Infections: Newly-detected cases have plummeted to less than one-fourth of what they were in early January. The 7-day rate has dropped twelve straight days and fifty-three of the last fifty-five. However, this rate remains 2.5 times higher than what it was in early-June.

The ensemble forecast projects new cases will decline another 25% in the next four weeks, reaching a six-month low. IHME projects new infections (which are more prevalent than detected cases) will drop by one-half during this same four-week timeframe. These new infections could reach a pandemic low by April 2nd, according to the IHME model.

Covid-19 Inpatient Days: Covid-19 inpatient census had plunged by more than half since early-February when the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services began publishing its dataset. This census declined 13% in the last week alone and 25% in the past two weeks.

IHME predicts that the Covid-19 inpatient census will drop by one-third in the next four weeks and reach a 12-month low by April 14th. The ensemble forecast for hospital admissions will be published later in the week. Last week's forecast predicted a 27% decline in Covid-19 admissions over four weeks.

Deaths With Coronavirus: Deaths with coronavirus (on a 7-day average basis) have dropped more than 50% since peaking in mid-January, including 17% last week and 30% in the past three weeks. However, this rate is still three times higher than its 12-month low.

The ensemble forecast predicts deaths will decline by 40% in the next four weeks, reaching a twenty-two-week low. IHME predicts deaths will plunge 50% in the next four weeks and drop to a twelve-month low by April 21st.

Other vital signs we are tracking:

Vaccines: Daily vaccinations were lower on Monday and Tuesday than in recent days, a day-of-week pattern consistent with prior weeks. (Some of this pattern may be caused by reporting issues; more likely, it reflects that most vaccine shipments are scheduled on Tuesdays.) Still, the 7-day average vaccination rate increased by 10% over a week ago and by 70% in the past two weeks. With nearly seven million new doses distributed yesterday alone, vaccinations should surge again today and the next several days.

As of yesterday, nearly one-in-four U.S. residents have received at least one dose; one-in-eight have received two doses.

Estimated Immunity
: About four-in-ten Americans may have protection against the virus, based on vaccination rates, estimated infection rates, vaccine efficacy, and a presumed two-week lag from infection or injection to immunity. This estimated immunity is tracking at or above the pace we anticipated in our immunity projection model. Our model projected the U.S. would reach 60% immunity by May 6th and 75% by June 15th.

Testing:
Test-positivity has declined since mid-January and has reached its lowest point since early-October. The current 7-day rate is slightly higher than its pandemic low (4.8% v. 4.4%). Yesterday's rate (4.0%) set a single-day low for the pandemic.

Sounds good, but the models are the ones that got us into this mess in the first place. Every government panicked based on the worst case scenarios, which never came close to happening.

Sounds good, but the models are the ones that got us into this mess in the first place. Every government panicked based on the worst case scenarios, which never came close to happening.
It’s been a dark winter. Que the auditor

Great news! I hope these predictions are correct! I do not think they will be because a lot of these predictions have not been correct. It was truly a dark, dark winter. I can't wait for the day to go back outside. Not sure when that will be yet.

Last edited:
Every government panicked based on the worst case scenarios, which never came close to happening.

Worst case scenarios were based on no mitigation efforts.
We added mitigation procedures and the worst case scenarios didn't occur.... That was kind of the point.

Reactions: SHUSA
No they weren't.

Well, no. That is not accurate.

High estimate of 1.7 deaths was before they added in any mitigating impacts in the analysis.

"The C.D.C.-led effort is developing more sophisticated models showing how interventions might decrease the worst-case numbers, though their projections have not been made public. "

Reactions: SHUSA
So then why has the country been in a panic for the last year over 500,000 deaths? That's less than a third of what was projected according to what you just posted. Based on that, the US did quite a good job.

So then why has the country been in a panic for the last year over 500,000 deaths? That's less than a third of what was projected according to what you just posted. Based on that, the US did quite a good job.
I saw a report last week where they noted that over 80% of the deaths had a comorbity of obesity. Lesson learned. I have to find that report.

Reactions: shu09

Giant panic was to prevent 1 million+

We were somewhere between worst case and best case. Not sure I'd argue that our response was "quite good". I think we could have done much better... but I guess we did better than horrible.

Good news it seems. Now let’s get our kids back in school everyday, full day, like many private schools have been doing since September (apparently that is one of the COVID mitigation techniques - you can be affiliated with a private school and not contract COVID). And with places reopening more or some already reopening, let’s can the next round of stimulus checks going to people who are employed and have been employed.

Reactions: shu09
Good news it seems. Now let’s get our kids back in school everyday, full day, like many private schools have been doing since September (apparently that is one of the COVID mitigation techniques - you can be affiliated with a private school and not contract COVID). And with places reopening more or some already reopening, let’s can the next round of stimulus checks going to people who are employed and have been employed.

Too simple, right? Amazing how the world has twisted itself into a pretzel over this.

Too simple, right? Amazing how the world has twisted itself into a pretzel over this.
I wouldn't say the world over-reacted. Here's my view for what it's worth:
* China was not forthcoming with information that would have been extremely valuable in making decisions that would have enabled us to slow the spread and get ahead of some of the treatments that would have saved a ton of lives. (Where is the push - U.S. and globally - to hold them accountable for this?).
* Our medical experts were flying blind because of this and were faced with the number one priority of not overwhelming hospital capacity. The result is that some horrible decisions were made (using ventilators as a first line treatment) that also killed many people unnecessarily.
* Politics. Congress was consumed with the impeachment trial and wasn't paying attention. Trump was more concerned about being re-elected and his messaging was awful. And then politicians from both sides politicized the pandemic rather than closing ranks and doing what was right....remember Trump and Cuomo arguing over ventilators.....and while this was going on, we left the most fragile segment of our population (nursing homes) totally exposed.
* We also now have data that shows who was really most at risk. We actually knew a lot of that early on, but failed to accentuate what the population could do to avoid being hospitalized or die from the disease.

Reactions: sami
* We also now have data that shows who was really most at risk. We actually knew a lot of that early on, but failed to accentuate what the population could do to avoid being hospitalized or die from the disease.

I wish we'd follow it. Why are schools closed? Why is Fauci talking about vaccinating kids? They are NOT at risk.

Yup. Here is what I know. If private and catholic schools being largely open in person since Sept was leading or led to some mass public health crisis, or turned out to be a really bad idea, you would have heard that already loud and clear. You haven’t. That tells me all I need to know on that and why there is a difference, and it’s disgusting.

On top of that, with where we are on COVID, and some of the underlying economic numbers, someone needs to explain to me why my younger brother making $73,000 a year is getting another check and my sister in law/husband (make collectively a bit less than $150,000) is getting another check, when they’ve been employed throughout this without a pay cut and frankly had pretty cushy gigs the past year. How about we don’t do that and maybe figure out how to get more money to people who really need help or just save it for a rainy day?

Yup. Here is what I know. If private and catholic schools being largely open in person since Sept was leading or led to some mass public health crisis, or turned out to be a really bad idea, you would have heard that already loud and clear. You haven’t. That tells me all I need to know on that and why there is a difference, and it’s disgusting.

On top of that, with where we are on COVID, and some of the underlying economic numbers, someone needs to explain to me why my younger brother making $73,000 a year is getting another check and my sister in law/husband (make collectively a bit less than $150,000) is getting another check, when they’ve been employed throughout this without a pay cut and frankly had pretty cushy gigs the past year. How about we don’t do that and maybe figure out how to get more money to people who really need help or just save it for a rainy day?

I'm with you on the stimulus money, but I think our attention is better served at ending this dystopian era we've been in for a year now. It's not normal. It cannot be accepted as normal. Quite frankly, it's scary what has happened in this country since this point last year. I'm not sure those in power will relinquish the control they now have or end some of the policies they have put in place. Big companies are complicit too, not just the government.

I'm with you on the stimulus money, but I think our attention is better served at ending this dystopian era we've been in for a year now. It's not normal. It cannot be accepted as normal. Quite frankly, it's scary what has happened in this country since this point last year. I'm not sure those in power will relinquish the control they now have or end some of the policies they have put in place. Big companies are complicit too, not just the government.

Oh I agree. Time to get back to normal.

still above our lowest point. thats prob the mark to use to officially say we are out of it. that isnof course we dont see too bad a winter.

still above our lowest point. thats prob the mark to use to officially say we are out of it. that isnof course we dont see too bad a winter.

Test positivity is lowest it has been since this disgrace began.

someone needs to explain to me why my younger brother making $73,000 a year is getting another check and my sister in law/husband (make collectively a bit less than $150,000) is getting another check, when they’ve been employed throughout this without a pay cut and frankly had pretty cushy gigs the past year. How about we don’t do that and maybe figure out how to get more money to people who really need help or just save it for a rainy day?
I happen to agree with you. There are people who were not affected by the pandemic in terms of losing their job yet are receiving checks. In a perfect world this would not happen. It happened the first stimulus and it will happen again. I guess the answer is that it is too difficult to prove lost wages? The government would rather broad brush this instead of missing people who need it. Not an easy answer. We can pick out details that we disagree with, but it still has to be done. In the end, I think we are getting back to normal around the summertime. The economy will pick up and normalcy is upon us.

I happen to agree with you. There are people who were not affected by the pandemic in terms of losing their job yet are receiving checks. In a perfect world this would not happen. It happened the first stimulus and it will happen again. I guess the answer is that it is too difficult to prove lost wages? The government would rather broad brush this instead of missing people who need it. Not an easy answer. We can pick out details that we disagree with, but it still has to be done. In the end, I think we are getting back to normal around the summertime. The economy will pick up and normalcy is upon us.

It's not mean to act as an unemployment payment. It is meant to be economic stimulus that helps the whole country.

I realize that’s the intent. I don’t buy that it meets it’s intended purpose for people in the brackets or categories I’m talking about or that the money couldn’t be better used elsewhere. There is absolutely a way to figure out who should be exempt with minimal gamesmanship because no system is perfect.

I realize that’s the intent. I don’t buy that it meets it’s intended purpose for people in the brackets or categories I’m talking about or that the money couldn’t be better used elsewhere. There is absolutely a way to figure out who should be exempt with minimal gamesmanship because no system is perfect.

Agree. Nothing would be perfect, but these payments are designed to help those directly and indirectly impacted and to protect our economy going forward.

I don't really ever agree with the idea that money could be better used elsewhere. It's not like they aren't spending somewhere else because they are spending here. Something is either worth doing or it isn't. I personally believe this money is worth spending as it will provide some economic certainty going forward as people will have money to spend back into the economy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT