Dalton Soffer

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
West Coast 'Shooting Star' Coming East

By piratecrew reporter
Zack Cziryak

BwE66B0CYAExlFv.0.jpg

Seton Hall's first commitment for the class of 2019 Dalton Soffer

Dalton Soffer, a 6'5" sharpshooting two guard from Poway, California and Seton Hall University's newest men's basketball commitment isn't afraid to explore new possibilities.

A lifelong basketball player, Soffer's interest in possibly pursuing a coaching career after college has been piqued by a senior community service project where he mentors his younger sibling's eighth grade basketball team.

"I love basketball and I think the coaching aspect of the game is really exciting. After being recruited and meeting so many college coaches I think it's really cool learning from them and I could see myself eventually doing that."

When it came time for a college decision with regard to his playing career, making his way 3,000 miles across country to Seton Hall University's South Orange campus was seen as a major opportunity by Soffer.

Seton Hall Assistant Coach Fred Hill was the first from the Pirate program to reach out to the high school senior during this past summer.

"It was after I played in July in the Basketball Hall of Fame Invitation Tournament in Springfield, Mass…it was after one of my better games and they said they wanted to recruit me."

"I thought it was great that they contacted me and there was immediate mutual interest between us. I was looking forward to traveling out there and seeing what it was like."

Soffer is familiar with both the Seton Hall program and the New York city area as his family has roots in New York and New Jersey.

His parents met while working in New York city and his two older brothers were born there.

Soffer said the family moved out to California about a year before his birth and he still has relatives, an aunt and uncle living in Metuchen, N.J.

"I knew the basketball history at Seton Hall was great and there's big time basketball played in the Big East. I always wanted to play at the highest level. I knew they were in the league and I wanted to just take a visit and see for myself. I was excited when they called me."

Despite a keen interest in the Pirate program and an unofficial visit this summer, Soffer's college choice earlier in the fall came down to Loyola University in Maryland, a decision he felt was made in haste and one he would look back on and eventually reconsider.

"I think my first choice was a little rushed," he said of his initial commitment to Loyola. "It was made too quickly and I'd say now my heart wasn't completely in it. The fact that Seton Hall was there and still wanted me badly was important and after watching the exhibition game I was sold on them."

As a result of his uncertainty, Soffer reopened his commitment after his original pledge to the Greyhounds and clearly had Seton Hall in the back of his mind. He made a second trip to South Orange, an official visit this time the weekend of the Pirates' November 6 exhibition game, which would end up sealing his college choice.

"Jaren (Sina) was a big part of the visit. I got to know him really well," Soffer said of the Hall's sophomore guard. "I also went to a film session and hung out at breakfast and in the locker room with the team. We went out to dinner Sunday night with the coaching staff and it was great to sit down and talk with them."

The Seton Hall staff made a strong impression on Soffer helping to make him feel comfortable with his eventual decision to attend Seton Hall and join the Pirate program.

"As soon as I showed up on campus he met me and my mom" Soffer said of Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard. "I felt I could really see myself playing for him as he seems like a great guy."

That sentiment of course extends to Hill, who was Soffer's first direct contact with the program.

"Coach Hill was great. I like the fact that he's been coaching for many years. He was great with my mom and myself and always treated us first class. I look forward to playing for him too."

Aside from basketball Seton Hall's campus and academics also appealed to the sharp shooting guard.

"I think the area is great and I think the university is a perfect size for me. I like that it's private so the education will be top notch. I'm a pretty good student but it's important to have the support there," he said, referencing the school's academic support system for athletics.

"I also think the connections I can make in New York city via an internship in the summer or something similar will be important."

The proximity of family to Seton Hall's South Orange campus also held an appeal to Soffer.

"I think having family 45 minutes away will be great and if I ever need to step away from basketball for a short time that will be a nice option to have."

With his most recent visit to New Jersey under wraps, Soffer's final decision was made.

"I called Coach Willard on Monday and said I'm ready to go and on Tuesday morning the Letter of Intent was in the mail."

For a player who hadn't received an official offer prior to the start of the summer Soffer was more than happy to move beyond the recruiting process.

"I kind of wanted it to be signed and done with and to get on with focusing on having a fun senior year."

In addition to Seton Hall and Loyola, Soffer had official offers from Yale, Colgate, Manhattan College, Bucknell, Boston University, Siena and the University of Pennsylvania. Soffer also held interest from Harvard and was asked to take an official visit by the University of Rhode Island before signing with the Pirates.

Despite interest increasing since the beginning of the summer, and likely to continue into his senior year, Soffer felt relieved to make an early commitment to a college program that felt like his best option.

"It feels great," he said of ending the recruitment process. "I feel bad for the kids that still have to go through it. It's a blessing and a lot of players would kill to be in my position. It's a unique feeling and it's unbelievable to be wanted as a basketball player. It can be brutal though, it can be a cutthroat business. But it's a relief to be done with it and now I'll be able to focus on my (high school) team."

Soffer's emphasis will turn to his senior year in Southern California before making the cross country journey to begin his collegiate career next summer. When there he'll join a talented and crowded backcourt that will include Sina, Sterling Gibbs, Isaiah Whitehead and Khadeen Carrington. But the talented shooting guard believes he has the skills and attitude to be a contributor in year one.

"I think with our wings we have a lot of athletic players but there's a spot for me to fill in shooting threes and being a scorer. I see myself coming in and being that kind of player immediately. I think I'll have a good time (at Seton Hall) and hopefully it will be playing for a championship team."

Despite having a deadly three point shot at his disposal, Soffer admits that refining it is a never-ending process.

"I'm always working on my shot. I need to continue to get better, there's always room for improvement."

Soffer is working on a number of other things as well to get himself ready to play at the next level. Chief among them is a desire to improve his ball handling skills and pull-up game, as well as both on the ball defense and team defensive concepts.

Soffer also feels that while there is room for improvement, there is nobody more confident in his game than he, and there are aspects of his play that will surprise people when they see him on the court.

"I think I am a good passer, I find teammates really well, and my rebounding ability will surprise some people."

While the on-court skills Soffer will bring to New Jersey next year will benefit the Pirate program, the mindset and attitude that follows will be sure to make Hall fans proud that he's wearing the Blue and White.

His final words echo that confidence.

"The fact is that I just want to win, I feel like that swagger I bring to the table........well I don't back down."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News